Skip to main content
Topic: Round 19 Post Game thread - Blues V Pies (Read 28249 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 19 Post Game thread - Blues V Pies

Reply #75
The Cripps Clearance Clinic :D

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2015-08-10/cripps-puts-on-a-clinic

All the media have been making a big push for Hogan for the rising star since the weekend. The common theme is Cripps is good but yeah key positions are so much harder to play.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #76
All the media have been making a big push for Hogan for the rising star since the weekend. The common theme is Cripps is good but yeah key positions are so much harder to play.

How often has Hogan been on the field? Seems like he's in for one out for two.
Cripps deserves the award on what he shown, but...
We won't get the Rising Star award because WE ARE CARLTON.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #77
In many ways the awards just don't seem to go to us. WE just don't seem to get the kudos.
I've got over that. But I still think Cripps deserves this one. Cripps has been a senior player all season and has been tagged already. Hogan has been up and down and has played 2nds football. I don't think there is any question that Cripps has done better.
Will that make a difference? I doubt it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and most of the 'judges' don't want to behold us.
If Cripps wins, it will be extra special considering. If he doesn't, he will still be a champion.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #78
It's nice just to have a contender tbh.

Reply #79
How often has Hogan been on the field? Seems like he's in for one out for two.
Cripps deserves the award on what he shown, but...
We won't get the Rising Star award because WE ARE CARLTON.

1995 - Scott Camporeale VS Nick Holland all over again  >:(

Reply #80
Cripps' poor kicking is probably a flaw in his game that might cost him the award. If he had've kicked 11.4 instead of 4.11 it might lean in his favour. Still a gun, though.

Reply #81
Cripps isn't in his first year either, which seems to work against you sometimes.

Reply #82
Neither is Hogan.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #83
I haven’t really commented on the Hawthorn and North games so I thought I would combine my thoughts on our three latest losses.

I think that, regardless of personnel, our slow ball movement and failure to keep a couple of players behind the ball mean that we will not be competitive against reasonable opposition.  In one passage of play, we had 29 sequential kicks before scoring a goal (I think it was Boekhorst).  While 29 kicks in a row without losing possession is no mean feat, it is tempting fate, particularly against a team like Hawthorn that pounce on the slightest error and make you pay.  I suspect that Johnny Barker is trying to limit the damage rather than trying to match the better teams.  If so, I would prefer to see us trying to move the ball quickly and get it inside 50 while our marking targets are not out-numbered.  For a team that is consistently winning the clearances, we get little benefit and turn the ball over far too often.  We will probably still be thumped but we have to start playing more direct and aggressive football.

I have been reasonably happy with Boekhorst.  He still has a bit to learn but I think that he is picking up the AFL tempo and showing that he can be competitive.  I think that Smith has shown a bit too, although he is still a little out of his depth.  Getting these games under his belt should help his development.

I was pleasantly surprised with Whiley’s performance against Collingwood after suspecting that he would be another of our disappointing trades.  However, he won plenty of the ball and showed that he is not afraid to throw his weight around.  He is not alone in that and it was great to see our young blokes dishing a bit out.  Casboult and Kreuzer executed a couple of copy book hip and shoulders too.

I should also comment on Kreuzer’s efforts.  His ruckwork against Grundy was some of his best work.  Grundy certainly got more hitouts but they were generally ineffective.  In contrast, Kreuzer was able to give Cripps and Murphy first use of the ball.  Kreuzer's marking has improved a great deal too and is probably back to where it was in his first couple of seasons.  It's great to see him attacking the ball and marking cleanly.

It seems fashionable to criticise Everitt but I reckon that we have found one sixth of our forward line.  Well, one quarter with Casboult, and perhaps more if we could get the ball inside 50 more quickly and more directly.

We certainly have a very long way to go but there are some promising signs.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #84
Watched the last half again yesterday.

When i saw the game the first time I thought Boek was good in the first half but quiet in the second.

But he was pretty good in the second half as well. Didn't panic with the footy.

Good signs.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #85
I haven’t really commented on the Hawthorn and North games so I thought I would combine my thoughts on our three latest losses.
(edited)
We certainly have a very long way to go but there are some promising signs.

Yep, good summary.  I don't much do game comments, leave it others with far greater insight than I.  But, yes, I liked what I saw from Whiley & Boekhurst last game........for two blokes that were almost gone (according to some) at the midway point of the year, they have at least shown something to work with.  Whiley......hit the gym fella, got a body that looks like it will bulk up well into a solid unit.  Boekhurst...I reckon confidence will have a massive effect on how he plays. If these two can become regular seniors, it's a big win for us.

I agree re: Everett.  Doing the stuff AW was doing in his 50 goal year a few years back.  Kruezer....bottle his heart.  What a difference.  Pray no more bad luck for him for a couple of years & we'll see what he ends up becoming.

cheers

Mal.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #86
Why all the hate on Smith?

How many Pick 60s play football in their first year and don't look like a deer in headlights?

He is way ahead of schedule.

I agree, there have been times he's gone into a contest with real grit, albeit not perfectly timed. With experience no doubt he'll hit the target more often. Looking forward to that.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.