Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 12: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs GWS (Read 35159 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 12: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #75
Just on Jones' late bump on Stevie J, the free kick was definitely there but sometimes in our game the punishment doesn't fit the crime and that was one of them.
It wasn't high and Johnson got straight to his feet, and it was only marginally late, yet the penalty was a certain goal.
The 50 paid to Gibbs was a bit soft as well, but Gibbs at least had to convert from 45 metres.
 I don't know what can be done about it but close games shouldn't be decided by 50/50 umpiring calls.
Overall I thought that the umpiring was good and the umpires are only following instructions, but some calls don't seem to pay enough respect to the spirit of the game in my opinion.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #76
We had a much-maligned forward back in the sixties who was the whipping boy of the day.  When he was switched to the backline he won a Brownlow - GORDON COLLIS.
He had similar attributes to Jones.   Moving a non-productive forward to the backline was a far more common move back then.
 ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

That comparison occurred to me too Chalky - and they're both rangas!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #77
Just on Jones' late bump on Stevie J, the free kick was definitely there but sometimes in our game the punishment doesn't fit the crime and that was one of them.
It wasn't high and Johnson got straight to his feet, and it was only marginally late, yet the penalty was a certain goal.
The 50 paid to Gibbs was a bit soft as well, but Gibbs at least had to convert from 45 metres.
 I don't know what can be done about it but close games shouldn't be decided by 50/50 umpiring calls.
Overall I thought that the umpiring was good and the umpires are only following instructions, but some calls don't seem to pay enough respect to the spirit of the game in my opinion.

i watched the replay at 0430 this morning. i thought the umpiring in H1 was deplorable in the lop sided nature and inconsistrent application of the rules - and very much to GWS's favour....

Later less so but a couple of non decisions that should have been frees our way - the tackle on Heath Shaw (who threw it away) - nothing (in the Q3), the point kicked by one of the GWS players (through our goals) - simply had to be a free our way - and the late rumble on Matt Wright after marking. Not to mention the laughable deliberate against Weitering with seconds to go.....

Great win!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #78
I remember thinking at the time that some of the decisions and non-decisions were very iffy, mostly those that happened to favour the Giants! I just got the feeling that the AFL wanted a GWS win to support another premiership tilt - just call me paranoid.  ???

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #79
It's probably fair to say that if you went through the posts on any football club's fan sites that the majority of posters would consider that the umpiring is generally biased against their club.
It's difficult for passionate Carlton supporters not to watch games through a Navy Blue lens, some would say it's impossible.
I know that I do.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #80
Here's my pregame drivel

Fair chance for sure. I've tipped Giants, so we're in with a chance according to my 2017 tipping stats :P

See, I've got absolutely no idea. Never been happier to lose a tip ;D
So I've got nothing to lose right.... I predict we play finals this year. But as im pretty sure that's impossible, I'll predict we'll play finals next year. There, now you have my post game drivel fwiw ^-^

I tipped the Giants too. So far I have one winner this week, relying on Melbourne to make it 2...lol.

Reply #81
It's probably fair to say that if you went through the posts on any football club's fan sites that the majority of postets would consider that the umpiring is generally biased against their club.
It's difficult for passionate Carlton supporters not to watch games through a Navy Blue lens, some would say it's impossible.
I know that I do.

I do. I enjoy going on Big Footy during a game of the side that's losing. Besides the meltdown two things are very common. 1) the umpire cheats and 2) they want the coach sacked...lol.

Reply #82
I do. I enjoy going on Big Footy during a game of the side that's losing. Besides the meltdown two things are very common. 1) the umpire cheats and 2) they want the coach sacked...lol.

And whoever picked x instead of y is an imbecile.

Reply #84
Another reason to love Bolt's and his influence.  Post match press conference, talking about Matty K:

"He's just so humble. If you met Kruz and he didn't have a Carlton top on, you wouldn't know he was an AFL footballer....and we want all our players with that sort of attitude."

No di@khead policy alive and well at Carlton.  Don't think there'll be too many bigheads wandering around Ikon Park.  Unlike the mob we played yesterday!

Reply #85
Just got around to checking the quarter by quarter stats to confirm what I 'remembered' from being at the game at that was Fishers strong last quarter. In this he had 7 of his 12 possessions.
I was a bit critical of his early game but pleased to see he had the poise and fitness to run this out really well. His 'Barry Breen' point was important of course - seemed to will himself to a number of contests. Really liking his endeavour (along with many others of course).

Reply #86
I remember thinking at the time that some of the decisions and non-decisions were very iffy, mostly those that happened to favour the Giants! I just got the feeling that the AFL wanted a GWS win to support another premiership tilt - just call me paranoid.  ???
I would argue it looked like a clear free to Kelly that wasnt paid at the end so its swings and roundabouts I guess.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #87
I would argue it looked like a clear free to Kelly that wasnt paid at the end so its swings and roundabouts I guess.

I always wear my blue lensed specs when I go to the footy GTC so frees to the opposition are very hard to see for me. :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #88
I always wear my blue lensed specs when I go to the footy GTC so frees to the opposition are very hard to see for me. :)
Thought so ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #89
A lot of Collingwood supports are bleating at the moment. :)