Skip to main content
Topic: Team selection disection (Read 25336 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Team selection disection

Reply #75
Would love to have non elite Judd on the list anytime

Reply #76
Sorry, you do not lose elite, it's something you've earned for life!

Daisy Thomas ????
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #77
Daisy Thomas ????

So far this season, hes been one of our best.

Hes not what he was, but he shows glimpses and still has the workrate of an elite player.

For me the measure of a player is their ability to perform in the face of adversity, not necessarily how well they go when the teams travelling well, and saturday night might have been one of Daisy's best matches in Navy Blue (I don't want to jinx him, but he's having a pretty good 2018 at this stage).
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #78
So far this season, hes been one of our best.

Hes not what he was, but he shows glimpses and still has the workrate of an elite player.

For me the measure of a player is their ability to perform in the face of adversity, not necessarily how well they go when the teams travelling well, and saturday night might have been one of Daisy's best matches in Navy Blue (I don't want to jinx him, but he's having a pretty good 2018 at this stage).

Spot on. And that's what Daisy did bring last week. Hopefully we bring in a few more senior blokes this week to give strong support and direction to the newbies... ie Rowe, Phillips, Shaw, Kerridge.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #79

This is what i've been banging on about for years with Daisy.

He sets the example of busting his butt each and every week. Its a non-negotiable. Sure, his body isn't what he used to be. He can't control that, age and injuries creep up on everyone, including Judd. What he CAN control is effort....and he gives that in spades.

Yes, we'd hoped to get more output from him, more elite daisy. Previous problems may be the reason for it, but perhaps the injuries he got while wearing navy blue are equally (or more) to blame for his declining output. Either way, we are still getting a 100% committed player each and every week. I used the term leader in regards to him previously and people scoffed, but doing the 1%ers like he does is the example our young blokes need to be seeing.

If only we had more blokes who put in like him, we wouldn't see all these 10 goal defeats we've been seeing.

Reply #80
Spot on. And that's what Daisy did bring last week. Hopefully we bring in a few more senior blokes this week to give strong support and direction to the newbies... ie Rowe, Phillips, Shaw, Kerridge.

Too True!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #81
Kerridge? Wouldnt have thought so watching the twos v Norp on the weekend.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #82
Kerridge? Wouldnt have thought so watching the twos v Norp on the weekend.

I didn't watch that game GTC, but based on previous experiences the prospect of him coming in does not excite me. He would only provide a bit more hardness around the contests at best but maybe that's all he'd be expected to do?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #83
I didn't watch that game GTC, but based on previous experiences the prospect of him coming in does not excite me. He would only provide a bit more hardness around the contests at best but maybe that's all he'd be expected to do?
My concern is turnovers. Turnovers are king these days and they are forced by oppo to create scoring opportunity. If you hand it over to them, you make it easy and Sam is abit of a butcher with the footy. Yes he adds some hardness and experience, its the disposal aspect of his game that concerns me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #84
My concern is turnovers. Turnovers are king these days and they are forced by oppo to create scoring opportunity. If you hand it over to them, you make it easy and Sam is abit of a butcher with the footy. Yes he adds some hardness and experience, its the disposal aspect of his game that concerns me.
Agree. He's a very untidy and fumbling type of player. Tries hard but is not AFL standard. I find him excruciately frustrating to watch.

Reply #85
I agree re Kerridge and ability.
I guess though, if part of where we are at is building culture, reward for effort must be looked at as well. If he is performing in the 2s and giving his all, is that enough to get him a gig when we are complaining about the lack of effort shown by our 1s?

Reply #86
Agree. He's a very untidy and fumbling type of player. Tries hard but is not AFL standard. I find him excruciately frustrating to watch.

I think you'll find that he's cleaned up considerably in that area and hit most targets recently, in fact he's improved that much that his disposal is now very close to average. :o ;) :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #87
I guess though, if part of where we are at is building culture, reward for effort must be looked at as well. If he is performing in the 2s and giving his all, is that enough to get him a gig when we are complaining about the lack of effort shown by our 1s?

Yep, absolutely.
Effort must be unconditional, you can persist (for a while) with players that make poor choices (learning their craft) but the effort must be there.
If you promote guys who don’t put in the effort, it smacks of favoritism and that will destroy the place.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #88

From that perspective, yes I agree Deags. In the light of last Sat, I'm willing to give him a try if he can offer something that may help the younger guys to settle in and build some confidence. If, as Baggers says, he has got his disposal up to average then he could take some of the heat of the younger guys without undoing his good work by giving away too many turnovers.

Reply #89

If the structure is correct Kerridge will be OK, don't have him trying to hit targets, make sure he works inside and dishes off to kids like Fisher and SPS.

Word the kids up, it's time they played big boy football and self-organised on field, no more you stand next to him and go everywhere he goes!

It's time we started seeing some genuine footy smarts from some of these "talented kids"!

In other words, cut the robot crap!
The Force Awakens!