Skip to main content
Topic: Round 15 - Blues Vs Pies. Pre - Game Thread (Read 46696 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 15 - Blues Vs Pies. Pre - Game Thread

Reply #45
I guess one positive to come out of all our losses and boring brand of football is that there's now plenty of space on my IQ! :D

Still hanging on to the Richmond final from last year, can't bare to let it go. Have produced nothing this year thus far worthy of retaining on IQ :(
Eat more chooks

Reply #46
I must admit I am very negative this week. We haven't managed once to play with the intensity required to win against either Collingwood or Essendon - the teams we need more than any to beat each year. I really want to beat Collingwood and Essendon more than any other teams, but we just don't look it.
We have a real ruck issue: with only 1 class ruckman, we have a REAL point source error. Get beaten or have him loose form and we are in real trouble. Alas, the last couple of weeks Warnock has lost form and been beaten badly. Puts us at a real disadvantage, but we have only Wood as a back up. We need to recruit a good young ruckman.
We have issues in the midfield: even Juddy is not as fast as he was. The rest of our mids are medium to slow. We really lack explosiveness in the middle and tend to be all or nothing when it comes to getting clearances. We don't get really good clearances that end in scores.
We have serious issues up forward. We need a class key forward and do not have one. We make do, but we really don't manage against the better defences.
Our defence is a work in progress for all the improvements in Rowe and White this year. We lack a tight, fast defender who can play medium to smalls. We do have some reasonable defenders, but nobody to really smother a quick, smart forward (a Rioli or a Thomas).
We don't tend to get many goals from turnovers. Instead, we MAKE turnovers and get bitten when we do. We are the worst in the competition in this. Our disposal last week was abominable and our fumbles were lethal. We just don't have enough 1 touch possessions.
We don't have a ready cohort of kids ready and willing to be promoted. Most of our youngsters are injured or struggling. Paddy Cripps was looking good before he got injured, but he is slow, not explosive. Nick Holman is not quick, even though he is desperate. Neither Johnson nor Reynolds has after burners. Neither does Tom Temay. Boots is gone and we spent a lot of time and effort on him.

No, I am not feeling confident. I expect us to get pounded and I really hate that.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #47
Is it just me or is the ball coming out of the forwardline way too easy since Eddie and Jeffy have gone.

I saw Thomas chasing arse a few times and he DIDN'T MAKE ONE METRE on the guy he was chasing, the guy ran 40 mts and kicked it 50!!
Eddie would have had him cold inside the first 10m..

The rest of the forwards bar Menzel ae all big dudes and just appeare to get cut up when the ball hit the ground.

If you can't keep the ball in your 50m arc you are screwed.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #48
Is it just me or is the ball coming out of the forwardline way too easy since Eddie and Jeffy have gone.

I saw Thomas chasing arse a few times and he DIDN'T MAKE ONE METRE on the guy he was chasing, the guy ran 40 mts and kicked it 50!!

The rest of the forwards bar Menzel ae all big dudes and just appeare to get cut up when the ball hit the ground.

xInfinity / 0

Reply #49

One of the reasons we are so low on the scoring from turnover list and top at being scored against in turnovers.
Thomas will be quicker next year, but he is never going to have Garlett's closing speed. Jeff is just not with it at the moment. Waite chases, but tends to overcommit and go to the ground. Levi doesn't react quickly: he chases really well for a big guy, but when he get outbodied he tends to be out of the picture. Hendo isn't quick enough or nimble enough: he reacts much better as a defender. When Denis plays forward, he goes OK until he runs out of juice: then he chases like he is slower than Broke.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #50
We have issues in the midfield: even Juddy is not as fast as he was. The rest of our mids are medium to slow. We really lack explosiveness in the middle and tend to be all or nothing when it comes to getting clearances. We don't get really good clearances that end in scores.

That's all well and (not) so good but the bigger issue is winning the pill (ideally from a ruck knock) andf then using the ball well with quick disposal/decision making....

We got smashed (thanks Rob W.) in the ruck, then we were second to the ball and when we did manage to get the ball we chop it up/ give cheap turnovers and are awfully slow to do anything with it.

Speed isn't the critical issuer here....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #51

Fair points Cimm....Daisy aint the old Daisy and doesnt seem to have the gas in the tank for chasing and tackling....Garlett when switched on is a great chaser and tackler but appears
to be disinterested. Without Eddie I think Jeffy isnt as keen and I am not sure if Mick is a real fan or not.

Reply #52

This. We've effectively got Daisy playing Eddie's role, for more coin and less output.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #53

This. We've effectively got Daisy playing Eddie's role, for more coin and less output.
If you are suggesting Daisy has played Eddies role (as in a direct swap) all year, sorry to say mate but you have rocks in your head.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #54
Simon White is out this week, and probably for 3 - 4 weeks. He has knee issue. So one guy will have to come in.
Cachia will not be replacing him: his shoulder injury will keep him out for3 - 4 weeks as well.
Tom Bell is fit, but should be starting off in the VFL. He will take a couple of weeks to get his touch back.
Murphy is a reasonable chance and Cripps is not far away. Matthew Kreuzer still appears to be some way from being ready.

Not sure about Byrne: no word on how he went with his knee scans.

This may sound rash, but I would be thinking of giving Sheehan a try against Collingwood. He sticks to his man pretty well and his left foot is looking quite decent. He still has a lot to learn, but he has size and speed on his side.
McInnes is also a chance: he came back to some form last week against Bendigo. Not sure that one good game is enough, but it is an improvement and he has played well against the Meat Pies before.
Wood must also be an off chance: Warnock has had 2 ordinary games in a row. But Wood does not seem to be working hard enough from what I've seen. He was playing much better in the preseason games.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #55
Simon White is out this week, and probably for 3 - 4 weeks. He has knee issue. So one guy will have to come in.
Cachia will not be replacing him: his shoulder injury will keep him out for3 - 4 weeks as well.
Tom Bell is fit, but should be starting off in the VFL. He will take a couple of weeks to get his touch back.
Murphy is a reasonable chance and Cripps is not far away. Matthew Kreuzer still appears to be some way from being ready.

Not sure about Byrne: no word on how he went with his knee scans.

This may sound rash, but I would be thinking of giving Sheehan a try against Collingwood. He sticks to his man pretty well and his left foot is looking quite decent. He still has a lot to learn, but he has size and speed on his side.
McInnes is also a chance: he came back to some form last week against Bendigo. Not sure that one good game is enough, but it is an improvement and he has played well against the Meat Pies before.
Wood must also be an off chance: Warnock has had 2 ordinary games in a row. But Wood does not seem to be working hard enough from what I've seen. He was playing much better in the preseason games.

I 'd like to see Sheehan, Johnson and Reynolds at some stage having a senior game by the end of the season....not sure why they promoted Johnson if they were not
going to play him.

Reply #56

If you are suggesting Daisy has played Eddies role (as in a direct swap) all year, sorry to say mate but you have rocks in your head.

He has played mainly as a forward, often quite deep. His job is to apply pressure and kick goals. May not be the exact same role but he's effectively replaced Eddie as a forward. Less output, more coin.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #57

He has played mainly as a forward, often quite deep. His job is to apply pressure and kick goals. May not be the exact same role but he's effectively replaced Eddie as a forward. Less output, more coin.
Agree on more coin, dunno about less output (not sure if you can compare them), disagree completely on the role, nothing like Eddie's.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #58

Daisy has played deep forward on quite a few occasions, but he isn't playing there as a small forward, but rather to take an opposition player out of the play - defensive forward.

He has spent more time up the ground then Betts ever has.

FWIW, i suspect with a decent pre-season (and he can definitely claim a lack of that) he will be a much improved player for us in 2015.

Reply #59
Fingers crossed. So far he's given us around maybe 350k of our 700k we've paid him. Nate Fyfe will probably be signed up for around 800k so that's a great example of what you should be getting for that top end coin.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!