Skip to main content
Topic: Round #4 Carlton vs St. Kilda in NZ: Pre Game prognostications (Read 64631 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round #4 Carlton vs St. Kilda in NZ: Pre Game prognostications

Reply #210
@Baggers

Mate, sorry to hear about your wife's step dad, and all the best for what must be trying times. At least enjoy the game tomorrow.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #211
Have faith mate. We hadn't won one for 21 years before that 68 success, and we did our best to kick ourselves out of it. Nothing has changed in that regard, has it. Also, I reckon Geoff Blethyn who played for Essendon and was the only Full Forward, and possibly player that I have seen playing in glasses, probably should have been paid a mark in the 10 metre square which would have won the game for Essendon. Glad it wasn't, of course!!
It's only been 20 years, this time, so we have a year to go before we start panicking that like my missus, who is a demons supporter, we will never see another flag in our life-time.

Rod Macfarlane, who I played with at Coburg Ammos, wore glasses and was on the Essendon list.  Not sure he cracked it for a game.  He kicked the ton for us.

Carlton had a bloke who played in glasses; Tony Southcombe.  He could have been a key forward for many years but opted to go home to Bendigo.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #212
Rod Macfarlane, who I played with at Coburg Ammos, wore glasses and was on the Essendon list.  Not sure he cracked it for a game.  He kicked the ton for us.

Carlton had a bloke who played in glasses; Tony Southcombe.  He could have been a key forward for many years but opted to go home to Bendigo.
Dalton Gooding for Claremont in the WAFL.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #213
There was a guy who played for the Saints in around 1980 who used to wear goggles with corrective lenses - can't remember his name now??
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #214
Weather here today in Wellington just spectacular, with the same predicted tomorrow. Seen a few Saints supporters parading around town today in their full game garb....scarfs and all.....wankers. Whereas the Carlton supporters have been much more subtle about their support. Had David Rhys-Jones, Chris Connolly and Nathan Thompson on my flight. The shuttle bus driver said it'd been non-stop AFL visitors he'd been shuttling all day.

For anyone who hasn't visited (and I hadn't before today) this is one incredibly beautiful city......seriously beautiful.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #215
Weather here today in Wellington just spectacular, with the same predicted tomorrow. Seen a few Saints supporters parading around town today in their full game garb....scarfs and all.....wankers. Whereas the Carlton supporters have been much more subtle about their support. Had David Rhys-Jones, Chris Connolly and Nathan Thompson on my flight. The shuttle bus driver said it'd been non-stop AFL visitors he'd been shuttling all day.

For anyone who hasn't visited (and I hadn't before today) this is one incredibly beautiful city......seriously beautiful.

It's like living in a postcard! Although our stay here might only be a year or so I am gobsmacked at the beauty of Wellington. And you can see the European influence in the architecture of the homes, no square boxes, all Elizabethan/Victorian/Edwardian etc. And the huge harbour, one of the biggest in the southern hemisphere. And when you tell the locals you're an Aussie, they're just so friendly.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #216
Saw a Bledisloe Cup match there a few years back. Glad we lost - there were a lot of big Maori boys about in the crowd (and bars later) you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #217

Hilly place. Reminded me a bit of Hobart. Did like it even with their wind.

You didn't get swallowed up in the earthquake?

Reply #218
Be a nice, early start for the West Aussies posters tomorrow!

Reply #220
Is Boekhorst the first AFL player to make his AFL debut outside Australia?
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #222
Dick in ::)