Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton V North- Post match thread (Read 18978 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton V North- Post match thread

Reply #15
10 odd goals against a middling side says it all, and little can be said that has not been said before.

It was encouraging to see Boekhorst play well in the first half. He has some skill and with good coaching will have a chance to develop. Murphy was plugging holes in the end; he is copping a real beating of late, but is making repeat efforts where few of his team mates, while making an effort, simply dont know what to do.

The terrible coaching combined with the lack of direction on the field is showing why we are hardly competitive. We dont set up well, and we have holes in our defence due to a lack of movement and understanding by the players where they should go. We dont play a spare man back much, and if we do they dont maintain the right position relative to their team mates. Henderson was briefly back and took a couple of marks in the second quarter, but then was moved about again, with docherty spending time further up the ground. Its all a bit futile really.

Better players were murphy, cripps, everitt ( only because of 3 goals) and curnow had a crack. But let's move past applauding effort, for it is our poor skills and disorder that is the big difference.

Couple of things that annoyed were the poor minding of the mark. Get on the mark and get your arms up and move. Every little bit counts at this level and many of our players dont. Second was the almost zen like Barker at 1.20 to go in the first quarter, sitting in the coaches box. Get down on the ground early to round up the team once the siren blows. It was a wierd sight. A bit more enthusiasm may be warrented from a bloke that may want a senior job. Not that it matters much, and they played better in the second quarter but it didn't seem right.

And good god the channel 7 saturday night commentators are dills.

Reply #17
10 odd goals against a middling side says it all, and little can be said that has not been said before.

It was encouraging to see Boekhorst play well in the first half. He has some skill and with good coaching will have a chance to develop. Murphy was plugging holes in the end; he is copping a real beating of late, but is making repeat efforts where few of his team mates, while making an effort, simply dont know what to do.

The terrible coaching combined with the lack of direction on the field is showing why we are hardly competitive. We dont set up well, and we have holes in our defence due to a lack of movement and understanding by the players where they should go. We dont play a spare man back much, and if we do they dont maintain the right position relative to their team mates. Henderson was briefly back and took a couple of marks in the second quarter, but then was moved about again, with docherty spending time further up the ground. Its all a bit futile really.

Better players were murphy, cripps, everitt ( only because of 3 goals) and curnow had a crack. But let's move past applauding effort, for it is our poor skills and disorder that is the big difference.

Couple of things that annoyed were the poor minding of the mark. Get on the mark and get your arms up and move. Every little bit counts at this level and many of our players dont. Second was the almost zen like Barker at 1.20 to go in the first quarter, sitting in the coaches box. Get down on the ground early to round up the team once the siren blows. It was a wierd sight. A bit more enthusiasm may be warrented from a bloke that may want a senior job. Not that it matters much, and they played better in the second quarter but it didn't seem right.

And good god the channel 7 saturday night commentators are dills.
They have been dills all year ;D

Reply #18
I expected around a 10 goal loss and the end result was close to that. All I can say at the moment is;

Richmond upset Hawthorn last night.

Melbourne upset Collingwood today.

Carlton upset their supporters everyday.

This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #19
Another poor performance but we'll need to get used to it, North only just went but still beat us by 10 goals.
Murphy, Cripps, Docherty and Kreuzer earned their money, a few others went OK but there were plenty of players wearing navy blue tonight who just aren't good enough.
It's a dispirited side who expect to lose, even when we were matching North before half time there was no fire in the belly, the second half was a foregone conclusion.
I feel for blokes like Buckley, Smith and Menzel, young blokes starting out with no one to show them the way, at a stronger club they'd be doing much better.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #20
Boekhorst showed that there's something to work with. One of the few positives.

When Cripps plays well we look very good. Too much rests on his shoulders already. Though I do think he's up to it. Needs to fix the set shots. 2.8 this year.

Henderson one of the biggest disappointments of the last 5 years. He's repaid very little of the faith the club has shown in him.

Yarran not too far behind, looks disinterested, a liability when the ball is in the air.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #21
Boekhorst showed that there's something to work with. One of the few positives.

When Cripps plays well we look very good. Too much rests on hi shoulders already. Though I do think he's up to it. Needs to fix the set shots. 2.8 this year.

Henderson one of the biggest disappointments of the last 5 years. He's repaid very little of the faith the club has shown in him.

Yarran not too far behind, looks disinterested, a liability when the ball is in the air.

You wont have to worry about them soon.

Both GAWN!!!!!!!!
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #22
Feck me that 2nd half was an utter trainwreck.......it's getting harder & harder attending I tells ya, at halftime I thought I'd made the best decision ever by attending - chuckling at all those who hadn't bothered......and then THAT damn 2nd half.....*sigh*.

The fact that Barker continues to play Yarran in defence, as Yarran continues to give up cheap shots on goal, tells me Barker isn't the man for this caper. Yes, I'll accept that there's a lot of what goes on out there which is not a directive of Barker, but feck me, surely there's some basic footy 101 stuff that can be reinforced. I'm sick of seeing opposition players marking the ball at around the 50m mark, then casually being able to find a teammate, uncontested, about 20m closer......I mean FFS, really??? He shouldn't even need to be coaching that, but seeing as it's clear he needs to - FFS do it!!!

I love Patty Cripps, I really do, but by christ he cannot kick to save himself - he seriously can't, to the point that it's not just a liability to himself & the team, but it's what's gonna hold him back from ever being elite.....having said that, Jobe Watson was very ordinary by foot when he started & he managed to turn it around, so I'm hopeful Patty can do the same. Cripps could easily have about 15-20 goals to his name this year if he could kick.....it's a real shame at the moment.

For mine, Barker's been part of an unsuccessful & rabble of a Club for too long.......yes, he appears to be a nice bloke & says all the right things, but at the end of the day, surely what we need is someone from a highly successful culture, someone who's seen & been part of a football system which has reached the pinnacle of the sport. I for one, will be extremely disappointed if Barker gets the job permanently. Yes, he has a largely crap list to work with, but geez, there's not even a semblance of pride in these blokes....we're right back to where we found ourselves the week Mick was sacked.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #23
Yes barker is part of the problem. ....all coaching staff must be cleared out including reserves.coaches...

Reply #25
Result didn't matter.
Club looking at the bigger picture, so losses to Top 8 teams are virtually a given.
Not going to lose it over the stuff that we know we need to improve on (talent, skill level etc). That ll come in time.
Yazz and to a lesser extent Hendo, both look disinterested. That's cool, if they don't want to be part of the future, then they re making SOS's job a little easier. A first round pick for each thanks lol.
Murph and Kreuz tried their guts out again.
Cripps had a killer game, besides the goal kicking, which I'm sure he ll work on and improve on, just like he did with his fitness last pre season.  Should win the Rising Star
Loved how Bucks was taking the game on right until the very end. Big tick for not taking sh*t from that diving flog Lindsay Thomas.
BB showed plenty early, but faded in the 2nd half
Loved the energy Clem broughtt to the game when he came on. A summer in the gym to turn his chub into muscle, and also to improve his tank, and he ll be a little ripper I reckon.

Reply #26
Maybe we can do a Western Bulldogs and play finals next year??

Don't laugh.

I think the AFL has accidentally figured out how to equalize the comp.

18 teams means all teams are thin on talent so a few good selections and trades, combined with good coaching, can boost you 10 places up the ladder in a blink .

Yes, the Hawks have a lot more, but that Norf side tonight was screwing BOG average and they think they should be a top 4 side?????????!!!!!!!!!!
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #27
Don't laugh.

I think the AFL has accidentally figured out how to equalize the comp.

18 teams means all teams are thin on talent so a few good selections and trades, combined with good coaching, can boost you 10 places up the ladder in a blink .

Yes, the Hawks have a lot more, but that Norf side tonight was screwing BOG average and they think they should be a top 4 side?????????!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed.
Norf aren't anything special.

Reply #28
With a small defence of thouy yarran buckley simpson docherty.....norths talls like any other tall forward line will kill carlton....

We need 25 new players imo

Reply #29
Loved the energy Clem brought to the game when he came on. A summer in the gym to turn his chub into muscle, and also to improve his tank, and he ll be a little ripper I reckon.

Agree with this - thought he was stiff to be dropped when he was after the Brisbane (or was it the GWS?) game too. Showed tonight that he's got plenty of tricks & genuine speed.....hopefully we've found our replacement for Eddie/Jeffy in the not-too-distant future.
Football is life, there is nothing else....