Skip to main content
Topic: Daisy charged for striking Laidler! - can accept 1 game suspension (Read 54766 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Daisy charged for striking Laidler! - can accept 1 game suspension

Reply #135
How many people were happy with trading Fev? I was, and i was in the minority.
How many people were happy once fev capitulated and we became clear winners in the deal? With the benifit of hindsight, things appear a lot different.

Exactly HOW were we winners in the Fev deal?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #136
He was a dud, until he got his body right...after 2 years...then was an important part of the midfield - 'fab 4' material!

I don't know were that idea comes from but it's repeated often and it's just not true. McLean was ripping it up in the VFL in his 2nd season and could not get a game, he had been written off by the club as being too slow for AFL. Yet in that year Bookmakers had him as 2nd favourite for the J.J. Liston trophy at $7 ahead of winner Valenti $9.

The rest of your post I agree with.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #137
Exactly HOW were we winners in the Fev deal?

1. We didn't have to pay him 2mil+ he was contracted for over the next 3 years.
2. We traded him for Hendo+pick 12 (lucas) - We got more out of Hendo than Fev offered the lions.
3. We traded Hendo for Geelongs pick, which we ontraded for 4 gws boys, plus pick 8 (Which turned into Harry McKay).

End result, we saved 2 mil bucks and now have potentially a 10 year key forward (Harry McKay) as well as Lamb, Plowman, Phillips and Sumner.

So you tell me, how are we NOT winners from the fev deal!

Reply #138
I don't know were that idea comes from but it's repeated often and it's just not true. McLean was ripping it up in the VFL in his 2nd season and could not get a game, he had been written off by the club as being too slow for AFL. Yet in that year Bookmakers had him as 2nd favourite for the J.J. Liston trophy at $7 ahead of winner Valenti $9.

The rest of your post I agree with.

Plenty of gun VFL players who are no good at AFL level.

When he stepped up, he simply wasn't good enough at the time. Didn't have the fitness for AFL level due to the lack of training he'd done over the previous couple of years.

Reply #139
Plenty of gun VFL players who are no good at AFL level.

When he stepped up, he simply wasn't good enough at the time. Didn't have the fitness for AFL level due to the lack of training he'd done over the previous couple of years.

Krudds, in his second season(2011) he played Bullants midfield and average nearly 40 possessions. He was named amongst the best in 13 out of 17 games, and played four other rounds in the AFL. Fitness was not an issue, our clubs perception of him was the big problem. I remember late in 2011 Ratten talking about him when asked by media at a post match press conference, I don't recall the exact words but Ratten inferred they should have trusted McLean's football ability and played him at AFL level sooner.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
Krudds, in his second season(2011) he played Bullants midfield and average nearly 40 possessions. He was named amongst the best in 13 out of 17 games, and played four other rounds in the AFL. Fitness was not an issue, our clubs perception of him was the big problem. I remember late in 2011 Ratten talking about him when asked by media at a post match press conference, I don't recall the exact words but Ratten inferred they should have trusted McLean's football ability and played him at AFL level sooner.

In his 4 appearances he couldn't get more than 17 touches.
Shows you the difference between VFL and AFL level. He couldn't do what he was doing in the VFL at AFL level because he wasn't 'AFL fit'.

An unfit AFL footballer is still a fit VFL player.

In any event, the point i was making is that, at the time, McLean didn't have too many people in his corner. I think he was on everyones hit list on who should get the flick at years end.

In hindsight, we can see that he had plenty more to give.
When we got him, he was stuffed. Took 2 years to shake that tag before it pays off.

Will history repeat itself with daisy? Time will tell.

Reply #141
Unfavourable judgments on Daisy are so premature.

Yes, he's been at the club 2 years and has delivered well shy of his price, but, the early finish to last season was something that no-one could have foreseen and should only be seen as basic rotten luck ....and his performance beyond that does not justify harsh and cynical judgment.

Provided his body holds up, this is the year Daisy has the chance to do what he does best and justify his recruiting. I just hope he ignores and totally blocks out the negative Nellies and focusses on just being himself. All the bloke needs is continuity of games and the rest will take care of itself.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #142
Unfavourable judgments on Daisy are so premature.

Yes, he's been at the club 2 years and has delivered well shy of his price, but, the early finish to last season was something that no-one could have foreseen and should only be seen as basic rotten luck ....and his performance beyond that does not justify harsh and cynical judgment.

Provided his body holds up, this is the year Daisy has the chance to do what he does best and justify his recruiting. I just hope he ignores and totally blocks out the negative Nellies and focusses on just being himself. All the bloke needs is continuity of games and the rest will take care of itself.

Didnt do enough homework on Daisy..he was never fit enough to continue his AFL career and Collinwgood knew it but for some reason
we didnt...he still cant kick over a jam jar.
I dont blame the player for taking the easy money..I blame the club for taking him on, overpaying him and not doing their due diligence...

Reply #143
Didnt do enough homework on Daisy..he was never fit enough to continue his AFL career and Collinwgood knew it but for some reason
we didnt...he still cant kick over a jam jar.
I dont blame the player for taking the easy money..I blame the club for taking him on, overpaying him and not doing their due diligence...

When we got him, the Collingwood physio team were sure he was finally about to get his body right again. I don't have many connections in the football world but I can speak with authority on this one. Collingwood obviously had their doubts but it wasn't because of his ankle

Reply #144
My concerns after seeing him play against Syd (I know its only a NAB Challenge game) was his lack of ability to kick the footy, His terrible attempt at a torp after the siren instead of a drop punt, his sideways grubber kick, they were embarrassing TBH. We were told he is supposedly as fit as he has ever been effectively commencing his pre season in July last year. He may be fit but I hope he isn't having jabs in his foot and he cant feel it properly during games ala McGuane in his groin. This would be a massive problem and would spell the end for him. I hope I am wrong, he comes good and we start to get some semblance of a return on our investment, I am starting to doubt it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #145
1. We didn't have to pay him 2mil+ he was contracted for over the next 3 years.
2. We traded him for Hendo+pick 12 (lucas) - We got more out of Hendo than Fev offered the lions.
3. We traded Hendo for Geelongs pick, which we ontraded for 4 gws boys, plus pick 8 (Which turned into Harry McKay).

End result, we saved 2 mil bucks and now have potentially a 10 year key forward (Harry McKay) as well as Lamb, Plowman, Phillips and Sumner.

So you tell me, how are we NOT winners from the fev deal!

We are yet to get anything at all. He was the best forward in the comp and by some way, his life fell apart when he moved to QLD, wouldn't have happened here.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #146
When we got him, the Collingwood physio team were sure he was finally about to get his body right again. I don't have many connections in the football world but I can speak with authority on this one. Collingwood obviously had their doubts but it wasn't because of his ankle

Well our club doctor said no and we ignored him, so Collingwood must have been trying to trick us.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #147
Really hope he can turn it around, a quality player in heart & desire, wish the body will stand up & he could be our best recruit, but the Swans game wasn't a gr at sign.

Reply #148
Well our club doctor said no and we ignored him, so Collingwood must have been trying to trick us.

Is that a fact PI2C?
Forget my contacts, why, how does that happen?

Reply #149
Is that a fact PI2C?
Forget my contacts, why, how does that happen?

Sorry, not doubting your contacts and the info above is in fact from Jofo claiming to have inside info as well. Hard to know what to believe but also hard to comprehend that he could be so broken and no one would realise.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!