Skip to main content
Topic: Daisy charged for striking Laidler! - can accept 1 game suspension (Read 54757 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Daisy charged for striking Laidler! - can accept 1 game suspension

Reply #165
I reckon Robert Walls has a pretty good handle on how much Thomas is being paid and I accept his assertion that Thomas is our highest paid player on at least $700K.

Even if he was on $450K for four years with an option for a fifth year, it would still rate as on of our worst list management decisions.

I agree about the decision making in hindsight, but we have to put the cost in relative perspective of how, when and why we recruited a Daisy type player.

At the time one of the biggest gripes people had about our list was on field leadership and introverted personalities. We had way to many introverts which allowed our team to be bullied on field. Communication was seen as another weakness, I think it was either Jonathon Brown or Cameron Ling who commented that playing against Carlton was like playing against Church mice, they made no sounds out there on the ground.

Daisy was certainly an extrovert, and a very loud on field communicator, which stood out immediately on his arrival. In that respect if we look at a realistic wage figure for him it seems not such a bad gamble at the time, especially given alleged reports coming from medical staff back then were that he should be able to make a full recovery.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #166
I agree about the decision making in hindsight, but we have to put the cost in relative perspective of how, when and why we recruited a Daisy type player.

At the time one of the biggest gripes people had about our list was on field leadership and introverted personalities. We had way to many introverts which allowed our team to be bullied on field. Communication was seen as another weakness, I think it was either Jonathon Brown or Cameron Ling who commented that playing against Carlton was like laying against Church mice, they made no sounds out there on the ground.

Daisy was certainly an extrovert, and a very loud on field communicator, which stood out immediately on his arrival. In that respect if we look at a realistic wage figure for him it seems not such a bad gamble at the time, especially given alleged reports coming from medical staff back then were that he should be able to make a full recovery.

Ignoring the alleged reports that he wouldn't make a full recovery?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #167
I reckon Robert Walls has a pretty good handle on how much Thomas is being paid and I accept his assertion that Thomas is our highest paid player on at least $700K.

Even if he was on $450K for four years with an option for a fifth year, it would still rate as on of our worst list management decisions.

Is that with or without excess loading on a contract?

Hypothetically speaking its possible that he was right in that particular 12 month period, but if rumours are to be believed, the captain is actually the highest paid player at the club, and not Daisy.  That might not have been true of 2015, but it would have been true of their total contractual amount.

Which means we have been front loading Daisy's contract, which might explain why he is on 700k per year.  We might have given him an entire year of his contract in the last 2.  Given where our list is at, I would expect this to be the case because we dont have that many high earners at the club and the ones we do, would also be on front loaded contracts.

This means that Walls can be right, and LP's point might also be accurate.

I suspect that the dollar values of contract don't necessary coincide with what we pay in wages per season, and we must be due to have a fair chunk of salary cap space available for use in a year or two to put towards a Treloar type player.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #168
This means that Walls can be right, and LP's point might also be accurate.

I suspect that the dollar values of contract don't necessary coincide with what we pay in wages per season, and we must be due to have a fair chunk of salary cap space available for use in a year or two to put towards a Treloar type player.

The reporting of stuff like this is only going to get worse in coming years, especially with the new TPP Banking system. Journos will be able to exaggerate wages in a moment of time and claim some accuracy in the moment!

Ignoring the alleged reports that he wouldn't make a full recovery?

Alleged being the operative word.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #169
The reporting of stuff like this is only going to get worse in coming years, especially with the new TPP Banking system. Journos will be able to exaggerate wages in a moment of time and claim some accuracy in the moment!

Alleged being the operative word.

Also the same word you used. You missed my pun! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #170

At the time one of the biggest gripes people had about our list was on field leadership and introverted personalities. We had way to many introverts which allowed our team to be bullied on field. Communication was seen as another weakness, I think it was either Jonathon Brown or Cameron Ling who commented that playing against Carlton was like playing against Church mice, they made no sounds out there on the ground.

That's all well and good but remember that Collingwood was concerned about Daisy's party boy behaviour and its detrimental impact on leadership.  The idea that he was recruited to address a leadership deficiency is speculative if not fanciful.  His alleged on field leadership is a moot point if he can't get on the field.

I suspect that the favourable fitness reports are after the fact and an attempt to justify Daisy's recruitment and over payment.  I'm more inclined to accept that Phil Baressi resigned because his advice was ignored.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #171
That's all well and good but remember that Collingwood was concerned about Daisy's party boy behaviour and its detrimental impact on leadership.  The idea that he was recruited to address a leadership deficiency is speculative if not fanciful.  His alleged on field leadership is a moot point if he can't get on the field.

I suspect that the favourable fitness reports are after the fact and an attempt to justify Daisy's recruitment and over payment.  I'm more inclined to accept that Phil Baressi resigned because his advice was ignored.

Firstly, it was on field issues we wanted addressed, so the off-filed stuff is secondary if not irrelevant. Even then off-field as a trainer Daisy reportedly sets a significant example!

The reports about Daisy's chances of a full recovery were around before the deal was done, they are not retrospective like the Baressi resignation claim. Oddly the bloke many posters decry as being partly to blame is better suited than most to assess all the medical information, McKay.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #172
Firstly, it was on field issues we wanted addressed, so the off-filed stuff is secondary if not irrelevant. Even then off-field as a trainer Daisy reportedly sets a significant example!

The reports about Daisy's chances of a full recovery were around before the deal was done, they are not retrospective like the Baressi resignation claim. Oddly the bloke many posters decry as being partly to blame is better suited than most to assess all the medical information, McKay.

I'm not sure I'd trust a vet to interpret a medical prognosis LP  ;)

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #173

I reckon you might have this bit confused.  I don't recall Daisy being linked to the party boy stuff in any way shape or form.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #174
I reckon you might have this bit confused.  I don't recall Daisy being linked to the party boy stuff in any way shape or form.

Your memory must be faulty Thry.  Indeed, one of Wallsy's comments was about Daisy pulling his head in and setting a better example.

Anyway, it's not possible to defend the indefensible and I'm not going to bother to read any more of the lame (sorry about the pun!) justifications for the club recruiting Thomas.  It happened and we're stuck with an overpaid list clogger.  As I've said many times before, I'd love to see him recapture some form but I'm less optimistic of it happening than ever before.

Reply #175
Anyway, it's not possible to defend the indefensible and I'm not going to bother to read any more of the lame (sorry about the pun!) justifications for the club recruiting Thomas.  It happened and we're stuck with an overpaid list clogger. 

This. I just don't see how anyone in their right mind could argue something different.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #176
I'm not sure I'd trust a vet to interpret a medical prognosis LP  ;)

I'm afraid your prejudiced shows your ignorance.

Vets are trained every bit has heavily as any human doctor, cartilage, muscle, vascular systems, orthopedics and healing are virtually identical across all mammals. Most of those medical treatments, procedures and drugs used on athletes were invented or refined on animals under the guidance of a vet long before a doctor was ever allowed to use them on a person.

It turns out vets are at the cutting edge, it is the doctors who follow! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #177
I'm afraid your prejudiced shows your ignorance.

Vets are trained every bit has heavily as any human doctor, cartilage, muscle, vascular systems, orthopedics and healing are virtually identical across all mammals. Most of those medical treatments, procedures and drugs used on athletes were invented or refined on animals under the guidance of a vet long before a doctor was ever allowed to use them on a person.

It turns out vets are at the cutting edge, it is the doctors who follow! ;)

Sweet, next time I need a diagnosis I'm going to the Vet!! :P
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #178
Sweet, next time I need a diagnosis I'm going to the Vet!! :P

Well my recent bout of distemper is just about cleared up now and my nose is cold again!  :)
Reality always wins in the end.