Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 4: Pre Game Pressure: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs (Read 41114 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 4: Pre Game Pressure: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs

Reply #30

However, if changes are to be made, then those who could be replaced include:
[1] Jamison
[2] Rowe
[3] Whiley - just played his best game for us (low bar, I know) - he looks better trying to win the ball than tag an opponent
[4] Buckley - play him in defence where he can run the lines
[5] Phillips
[6] Kreuzer - has never been and will never be a forward - IF we want to be more competitive, this guy has to spend more time in the ruck
[7] Casboult

Reply #31
From RR

[6] Kreuzer - has never been and will never be a forward - IF we want to be more competitive, this guy has to spend more time in the ruck

IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #32
Guys, hate to tell you but he's been putrid in the ruck as well.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #33
Liam Jones against his old club??  Has been having a crack in the twos and might just be the motivation he needs.

Reply #34
However, if changes are to be made, then those who could be replaced include:
[1] Jamison
[2] Rowe
[3] Whiley - just played his best game for us (low bar, I know) - he looks better trying to win the ball than tag an opponent
[4] Buckley - play him in defence where he can run the lines
[5] Phillips
[7] Casboult

Sorry RR, just can't see the love for Whiley. At unders we pump it into kids heads;

Don't stand still
Don't stand still
Don't stand still

But Whiley's default mode of getting the ball is decelerate or stand still and letting someone handball to him. At Unders he would not get many kicks because we tell kids;

Don't handball to someone standing still

Whiley needs to get the old toothpicks under the eyelids and watch 80hrs of Ablett Jnr, Jab Watson or Diesel Williams. Particularly Watson and Williams because it shows just what you can do without extreme pace or extreme acceleration if you are prepared to keep moving and accelerate through the ball.

Dynamic and lateral movement is a must against the Doggies.

This post might sound unfair to Whiley, but I can only judge him by those around him and he looks static relative to others.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
Sorry RR, just can't see the love for Whiley. At unders we pump it into kids heads;

Don't stand still
Don't stand still
Don't stand still

But Whiley's default mode of getting the ball is decelerate or stand still and letting someone handball to him. At Unders he would not get many kicks because we tell kids;

Whiley needs to get the old toothpicks under the eyelids and watch 80hrs of Ablett Jnr, Jab Watson or Diesel Williams. Particularly Watson and Williams because it shows just what you can do without extreme pace or extreme acceleration if you are prepared to keep moving and accelerate through the ball.

Dynamic and lateral movement is a must against the Doggies.

This post might sound unfair to Whiley, but I can only judge him by those around him and he looks static relative to others.

Only handball to someone standing still if it's the old 1-2, the player standing still immediately dishes of to a player running past. Same with handballing to blokes with their back to goal. Unless they dish it straight off the have to turn around before they can even start to do something with it. We just use so many wrong options. Handball to blokes running hard in the direction of goals. That way we move the ball foward quickly.

Reply #37
U9's stuff IAJ...
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #39
Only handball to someone standing still if it's the old 1-2, the player standing still immediately dishes of to a player running past. Same with handballing to blokes with their back to goal. Unless they dish it straight off the have to turn around before they can even start to do something with it. We just use so many wrong options. Handball to blokes running hard in the direction of goals. That way we move the ball foward quickly.

Doesn't work in AFL and won't work in most modern well coached Unders comps either. In the AFL teams know opponents way too well, they are geared into thinking this player doesn't move so zone off him and we will get the ball back. A little bit of movement, any movement for that matter, makes it much harder to setup a structure to cause a turnover.

As soon as a player props and sets anchor like the QE2 it's turnover time if coaches are on the ball!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
x2....

Should be dropped....but wont be due to his draft pick status....

If you drop Kruezer based on playing under par then to be consistent drop the following:

Murphy
Gibbs
Casboult
Jamo
Rowe
Phillips
Buckley
Thomas

Whats the alternative at this stage - replace them with kids that are not ready get hammered and then watch the complaints on here when we get smashed by 20 goals plus!

While I agree his not playing to his best he is not alone but at it least he pushes himself to the limit - a quality that cant be understated when you are rebuilding. The guy busts a nut in every contest and I rarely single him out because of that very quality. While other early picks jog around the ground avoiding contact and never even provide even a hint of physical presence! 

Imagine taking him out of the ruck and leaving Cripps to be supported by real hard nuts in Murphy and Gibbs  ::). The kid will be smashed from pillar to post. He provides some protection and when we have close to no one else who does that hard work -  any talk of dropping him is madness.

Leave him as a follower and stop asking him to fill a void up forward and watch his form improve.

Or get Wood back in and maybe he can replicate the clown act he performed with Casboult against the Dogs last year in the F50 when many thought they were watching the Benny Hill show.  At least his good for a laugh.

Reply #41
Like Kreuzer I am not sure we are doing Daisy any favors either. He has been out for ages and we seem to be using him as our Mr Fixit. As a result he has no continuity, and it will be hard to find form.

Actually, based on what we have had him doing he isn't too bad.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
What worries me about Kreuzer is that he can't get off the ground. Likely due to accumulative effects of his injuries.

Reply #43
Guys, hate to tell you but he's been putrid in the ruck as well.

I can't agree with that assessment b/c when Kreuzer is in for the centre bounce he provides another midfielder to assist in clearances - Phillips might get his hand on the ball but clearances tend to go to the opposition. Unfortunately, Phillips seems to be less of a forward than Kreuzer.

If he is not carrying an injury at the moment and IF we are actually trying to win games, I would prefer to see Kreuzer doing a greater proportion of the ruckwork with limited relief provided by Rowe, Casboult or Jones - all of whom represent better alternatives as tall forwards than either Phillips or Kreuzer. 

However, if the focus is on development, I can fully understand the decision to give Phillips a fair-go in the ruck.

Reply #44
Like Kreuzer I am not sure we are doing Daisy any favors either. He has been out for ages and we seem to be using him as our Mr Fixit. As a result he has no continuity, and it will be hard to find form.

Geez poor Daisy fork me he has been stiff.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!