Skip to main content
Topic: What Has Turned Around Bryce Gibbs ?? (Read 25287 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: What Has Turned Around Bryce Gibbs ??

Reply #45
I'm one of the few who thought his little holiday was deserved. He seems to have put some more thought into how he goes about it. Good for him.

Deserved? Harsh.

Even the umps/mrp changed their mind a week or 2 later when they let someone else off a similar tackle.

Reply #46
Deserved? Harsh.

Even the umps/mrp changed their mind a week or 2 later when they let someone else off a similar tackle.

The umps have a proven track record of inconsistency. If the head is sacrosanct, then it was a fair penalty. If other similar tackles later on in the year got off, then the system is flawed, not the original verdict.

Reply #47
The umps have a proven track record of inconsistency. If the head is sacrosanct, then it was a fair penalty. If other similar tackles later on in the year got off, then the system is flawed, not the original verdict.

The ones who make the system disagree with you

Reply #48
It was a sling tackle and he should have had a holiday... but seriously, how did Schultz get off ????

Again, depends on what colour jumper you're wearing.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #49
It was a sling tackle and he should have had a holiday... but seriously, how did Schultz get off ????

Again, depends on what colour jumper you're wearing.

Good question Prof!

If Gibbs copping 2 weeks for his tackle sent a message about rough play, but it was withdrawn by the Schultz decision.

All we want is consistency in umpiring and MRP/Tribunal decisions.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #50
Another accolade for Gibbs.

Bryce Gibbs’ sparkling performance against Geelong on Sunday hasn’t gone unnoticed, with the midfielder receiving a perfect 10 in the AFL coaches’ votes.

The 27-year-old took control in the centre when his captain was sidelined with an ankle injury after quarter time, collecting more than 30 vital disposals in the Blues 19-point victory over the Cats.

‘Gibba’ had 34 touches, 13 of which were contested, eight tackles and nine clearances, not to mention kicking two goals at critical stages of the game.

In the last four weeks Gibbs has averaged just over 30 possessions and booted 6 goals, becoming one of the Blues most damaging midfielders.

There’s no doubt the former No. 1 pick is relishing his time under Brendon Bolton; in Round 8 against Port Adelaide Gibbs also received 10 votes, and in Round 6’s clash with Essendon he was best on ground with nine votes.

In the overall ranking for the award Gibbs now sits in fourth position on 40 votes, behind leader Dan Hannebery (Syd) on 49 votes, Todd Goldstein (North) 47 votes and Patrick Dangerfield (Gee) 44 votes.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
a game plan that suits his style of play.

More likely a game plan that doesn't tolerate a wishy-washy defensive effort - no more passengers or downhill skiers here.

Reply #52
More likely a game plan that doesn't tolerate a wishy-washy defensive effort - no more passengers or downhill skiers here.

Bingo! Well said... Ye Rat o' the River!!!

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #53

Partly right; a gameplan that suits the playing group, "buy-in", united club, and clarity of role:

Gibbs also praised the “whole of club” approach the new coaching panel had implemented, suggesting that there was a collective “buy-in” from everyone across the organisation at Carlton.

“It’s been well documented that we’ve gone through a massive change at the Club over the last 6-8 months and we’re doing things a lot differently to what we have done in the past,” he said.

“There’s that collective buy-in from not only the players and the coaches, but the whole of club and it’s hopefully starting to pay off because the belief is there…. and we’re really enjoying our footy.

“Even over the first few games of this season, we were playing some good footy against some good sides but still lost. The signs were there, and then to win four games in a row – I think the group thought that we’re actually not far away here.”

Speaking with SEN on Monday evening, Gibbs said his clear role within the side had contributed to his recent on-field form.

I’m just going about my business. I have a pretty clear role within the team and I know if I am doing those things, it will hold me in good stead,” he said.

“I am really enjoying my footy at the moment and really enjoying my place and role within the team.”

Reply #54
Partly right; a gameplan that suits the playing group, "buy-in", united club, and clarity of role:

Yeah Gibbs has been right all along!
It must be someone else's fault.....
After all he's only been in the system 8 years

Reply #55
Yeah Gibbs has been right all along!
It must be someone else's fault.....
After all he's only been in the system 8 years

This is actually his 10th year in the system and he's finished in the top 10 in our B&F every year except 2015, when he only played 10 games.  The Match Committees over those 9 seasons must have reckoned he was doing what he was asked

Reply #56
This is actually his 10th year in the system and he's finished in the top 10 in our B&F every year except 2015, when he only played 10 games.  The Match Committees over those 9 seasons must have reckoned he was doing what he was asked

or that 30-odd other blokes were doing less of what was being asked than he was.

Votes gotta go to someone.

There should be some kind of votes/talent ratio normalisation. Players like Army, White, Curnow would be very high on the list and up until recently, Gibbs, Murphy and Everitt would be well down.

Reply #57
or that 30-odd other blokes were doing less of what was being asked than he was.

Votes gotta go to someone.

There should be some kind of votes/talent ratio normalisation. Players like Army, White, Curnow would be very high on the list and up until recently, Gibbs, Murphy and Everitt would be well down.

As far as I can tell, our voting system is meant to reflect how well players carry out their roles.  However, it could also be a means of retrospectively justifying Match Committee (or list management) decisions.  However, there's usually pretty good correlation between the John Nicholls voting and the Jim Park voting - not that I intend to go back over the last 9 seasons  :)

Reply #58
As far as I can tell, our voting system is meant to reflect how well players carry out their roles.  However, it could also be a means of retrospectively justifying Match Committee (or list management) decisions.  However, there's usually pretty good correlation between the John Nicholls voting and the Jim Park voting - not that I intend to go back over the last 9 seasons  :)

Its also biased towards those who are actually playing, that is those who don't play cannot get a vote.

Reply #59
Its also biased towards those who are actually playing, that is those who don't play cannot get a vote.

That's why Gibbs didn't finish in the top 10 in 2015  ;)