Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 17: Post Game Paralysis: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 21399 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 17: Post Game Paralysis: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #15
Jaksch isn't good enough at AFL level.
Sumner did well to earn that shot late but small forwards have to nail them, his ball to Curnow earlier was good.
I think he shows enough to persevere with, I'd replace Lamb with Boekhorst for next week, and Jaksch with Jones.

I thought Jaksch was better when he was moved in to defence and Weitering forward. I always thought he'd make a better defender, just doesn't have the presence to be a key forward. Worth keeping on the list as depth in defence for another couple of years IMO.

On another note, I can see why we were willing to get rid of Menzel and didn't go real hard for Ben Lennon. SOS is better than both.

Reply #16
Laj, were you actually at the game?????

What's that got to do with it. I saw it.

Like I said, first game in, only key forward in a side that was terrible with 3.3 at half time. A thing called confidence. Gets mistaken for many other things.

Reply #17
Jaksch isn't good enough at AFL level.
Sumner did well to earn that shot late but small forwards have to nail them, his ball to Curnow earlier was good.
I think he shows enough to persevere with, I'd replace Lamb with Boekhorst for next week, and Jaksch with Jones.

Jaksch wasn't good but we need to give him at least another 3 or 4 games on the trot to get a better look at him.

With you about Boekhorst. I'd like to see him in next week if he's fit.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #18
I thought Jaksch was better when he was moved in to defence and Weitering forward. I always thought he'd make a better defender, just doesn't have the presence to be a key forward. Worth keeping on the list as depth in defence for another couple of years IMO.

On another note, I can see why we were willing to get rid of Menzel and didn't go real hard for Ben Lennon. SOS is better than both.

B4L is always quick to write players off.

While he struggled today I think he was better in defence in the 2nd half. Wouldn't mind Weitering forward with Casboult next week with Jaksch given a chance to gets some confidence in defence. Might give us a chance at opening the forward line up a bit more.

Maybe we can put him on Buddy...lol.

Reply #19
B4L is always quick to write players off.

Name one I've written off who has made the grade.
A blind man can see his limitations, what our list management people saw in him to trade pick 7 is anyone's guess but the same people signed Jones for three years.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #20
Name one I've written off who has made the grade.
A blind man can see his limitations, what our list management people saw in him to trade pick 7 is anyone's guess but the same people signed Jones for three years.

Those who were actually at the game would have noticed his one 'positive' was getting caught in the middle of a pack and committing himself to the contest. Forward or back, he lacked awareness, first efforts (let alone second efforts!), a sense of urgency, the ability to contest and he's been in the system 4 years, he's not a newbie, he hasn't had glandular fever, he wasn't carrying a corked thigh from the first quarter. He just ain't got it! 

Reply #21
Only watched the last quarter via a pirate feed on the computer.

Clearly we were beaten by our own lack of experience, fitness & skills. We had some serious 'fire in the belly' that made us fight it right out and in the end, gave the Eagles one hell of a fright.

I can handle losing if I keep seeing lots of competitiveness & endeavour, the future is bright.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #22
Sam Rowe is standing up nicely, is making less mistakes and taking a few sizable scalps. 

Reply #23
Whilst I'm not one of his admirers, Jaksch needs to stay in the seniors for another 2-3 weeks so he can be given one last opportunity to show what he has to offer.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #24
Only watched the last quarter via a pirate feed on the computer.

Clearly we were beaten by our own lack of experience, fitness & skills. We had some serious 'fire in the belly' that made us fight it right out and in the end, gave the Eagles one hell of a fright.

I can handle losing if I keep seeing lots of competitiveness & endeavour,
the future is bright.

Well, I guess it makes easier to handle, but not by much.

What would make it even easier to handle is if we are losing yet still kicking decent scores, around 90-100 points, like a few seasons back, because at least it gives us a chance. We won't win anything kicking 50-70 points per game.

Reply #26
Weitering on one  leg in one quarter showed he is our next champion forward.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #27
Well, I guess it makes easier to handle, but not by much.

What would make it even easier to handle is if we are losing yet still kicking decent scores, around 90-100 points, like a few seasons back, because at least it gives us a chance. We won't win anything kicking 50-70 points per game.

Like most other 'developing' teams, we seem to be getting our defensive systems worked out.  Also we seem to have reasonable backmen cattle to work with.

Reply #28
I agree with B4L.  Happy to be proven wrong, but Jaksch was awful today.  It was in the backline where he gifted the Weagles a goal and up forward he had no judgement for the ball.  I'd love him to be something, but I'm not holding my breath.

In any rate he'll be dropped for Cazz next week, unless the CFC feel like giving Cazz a run in the VFL.

Having said all that, I really liked what I saw in the second half.  Cut out some horrible turnovers and we win that game.

Silvagni is fantastic over heard.  C. Curnow has the X-factor and Weitering should start up forward next week (not that he'll see the ball much against the Swans, but he looked at home there).

And a shout out to Simon White who was great all day.

Simpson is a true Carlton great.

Reply #29
And while I'm typing, the side can't play both Sumner and Lamb.  Lamb grassed a lace out pass in the second and didn't get his head in the game after that.  Sumner tried all day and set up a great goal to CC but he disappears for great swathes of the game.  I'd certainly bring BB in for one of these guys next week.

Like Nicky G's game.  8 tackles is nothing to sneeze at.  His big problem is how slow he is under pressure.  In space he's fine and he put his body on the line, but when he gets the ball under some heat he's too slow.  Still, we need the extra mid and he was more than serviceable today.

Talking about slow, Kerridge panics when he doesn't have a clear target to give it too.  He was out main mid while Gibbs and Cripps were on holiday and did his best to give us drive but he seriously butchers the ball when he doesn't have an obvious choice.

Cripps has 5 disposals in the first half and 29 for the game.  Yes, would love to see a four quarter effort from him, but credit where it's due that was an enormous second half.  If only he could kick straight.

Simpson.  A legend.  Can't be said enough.