Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 17: Post Game Paralysis: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 21404 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 17: Post Game Paralysis: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #30
Like most other 'developing' teams, we seem to be getting our defensive systems worked out.  Also we seem to have reasonable backmen cattle to work with.

I guess so, but what species are "backmen cattle" ?

Reply #31
A gutsy fighting effort today with Simmo, our spritual leader, right out there in front and centre! Our future began to shine through today. I left the game feeling buoyed despite not winning.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #32
PI2C was right about Weitering as a key forward  :)

It was a pretty dismal first half with lots of turnovers and not much happening in our forward 50.  Soft free kicks to Wet Toast didn't help.

The third quarter was more promising and I'm sure Bolton will have a lot to like about our effort and execution in the last quarter.

I was listening to Daniel Gorringe speaking before the game and he made the point that recent post match reviews were positive with lots of good indicators.  I guess that shows how much supporters are in the dark (and particularly one bloke who sits near me!).

SOS's comments about Jaksch were prophetic; his main contribution was freeing Weitering up to go forward.

Weitering's ability to read the flight and clunk marks unsettled the Weagles defenders and helped to create opportunities for our other forwards.  It may be gilding the lily but I reckon Gibbs unleashed the torp because he was confident that Weitering would mark it.

Some of the disposal from players like Kerridge, Wright and Docherty was very poor and killed off promising build ups.  We really have to eliminate those disposal errors.

Buckley and Graham did enough to stay in the team and Buckley's goal was a ripper.  Simon White put in another good performance and it's a good sign when our second stringers stand up.  It really eases the pressure on Docherty, Simpson and co.

I've had enough of Lamb and Sumner though.  They need to get some form in the NBs.

Kreuzer did some great work today.  He didn't really look like taking a mark but his effort when the ball was on the ground created so many opportunities for team mates.

Finally, why is it that the most vocal supporter in your vicinity is the one who knows the least about the game?  The bozo near me thought that Gorringe was playing well, wanted us to get a free kick when Wright kicked the ball out and couldn't understand why we didn't get a free for "third man up"  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
Memo to K Jaksch:  On your way out, grab a copy of the last quarter and see how someone with some football clues and determination, plays that forward position. He wears 23
Today was a poor one for Jaksch, no doubt. I would still give him another game or 2 to see how he goes, but today was potentially career ending.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #34
Weitering on one leg is as good as any forward we've played this year. Fit he'd be good for 3-4 a game and we can always throw him back if needed.
Add McKay, Curnow and Silvagni with a year or twos development and we may have a fearful forward line.
Jacksch probably won't make it but we've nothing to lose by giving him a few games. Same with Jones.
We're short two key position players who still aren't at the club.

Reply #35
A gutsy fighting effort today with Simmo, our spritual leader, right out there in front and centre! Our future began to shine through today. I left the game feeling buoyed despite not winning.

I felt both happy and frustrated as errors cost us the game in the end, errors we weren't making 6 weeks ago. So we know we can do better too although, bar Geelong, our opposition is much better now. Lost it late in the 3rd qtr.

Liked the 5 last qtr goals, especially when I thought we'd be lucky to kick 5 for the game. Weitering going forward was a big help and C.Curnow had a much better 2nd half taking a few grabs as a big body up forward. Just makes a difference. Straightens you up and make for more confident and direct movement into the forward 50. Opens the game up. once it's more open less errors are made. When we play with the right structured side with a bit of confidence we make life for most sides tough. When we don't we're crap and look horrible.

Reply #36

It was a pretty dismal first half with lots of turnovers and not much happening in our forward 50.  Soft free kicks to Wet Toast didn't help.

The third quarter was more promising and I'm sure Bolton will have a lot to like about our effort and execution in the last quarter.

I was listening to Daniel Gorringe speaking before the game and he made the point that most match reviews were positive with lots of good indicators.  I guess that shows how much supporters are in the dark (and particularly one bloke who sits near me!).

SOS's comments about Jaksch were prophetic; his main contribution was freeing Weitering up to go forward.

Weitering's ability to read the flight and clunk marks unsettled the Weagles defenders and helped to create opportunities for our other forwards.  It may be gilding the lily but I reckon Gibbs unleashed the torp because he was confident that Weitering would mark it.

Some of the disposal from players like Kerridge, Wright and Docherty was very poor and killed off promising build ups.  We really have to eliminate those disposal errors.

Buckley and Graham did enough to stay in the team and Buckley's goal was a ripper.  Simon White put in another good performance and it's a good sign when our second stringers stand up.  It really eases the pressure on Docherty, Simpson and co.

I've had enough of Lamb and Sumner though.  They need to get some form in the NBs.
Kreuzer did some great work today.  He didn't really look like taking a mark but his effort when the ball was on the ground created so many opportunities for team mates.

Finally, why is it that the most vocal supporter in your vicinity is the one who knows the least about the game?  The bozo near me thought that Gorringe was playing well, wanted us to get a free kick when Wright kicked the ball out and couldn't understand why we didn't get a free for "third man up"  ::)
I have to agree. They are simply not getting enough of the ball at the moment and not ding enough with it when they have got it. Sumner had a couple of shocking turnovers today that lead directly to Weagle goals. Yes, he wasn't alone, but with guys like Boekhorst (finally) showing something, it is time to get them a go in the VFL. They will be with us in 2017. Other guys have not had an opportunity yet, and need to in the next few weeks.

I wouldn't play Charlie Curnow next week either. He didn't make much of a contribution, which isn't a huge surprise, considering what he has been through this year. He showed he is going to be a player. Fine. Now try Jones. Jones has to convince SOS and Bolts that he is worth persevering with.

I was happy enough with Weitering. He is not in great form at the moment, but it is a long season for young kids like him. He didn't have a good match up in defence for periods of the game, so sending him forward was definitely worth the risk and gave us some rewards. He will probably pinch hit as a forward in the future sometimes, so we saw that he can do it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #37
I was not that enamored with the fact that Lamb was coming to the club as he hadn't done much at his two previous clubs.

Upon arrival at Princes Park, there is one trait that stands out to me and that is he doesn't mind chasing & tackling, there is a defensive mindset. To that end, I'd like to see him groomed as a permanent defender but in the role that we have been screaming for, that being to mind the dangerous forward pocket goal-sneaks (eg. Betts, Blair etc).

I'm not saying it is a certainty to work but I feel that both he & the club stand to gain so much more if it does turn out positively.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #38
I was not that enamored with the fact that Lamb was coming to the club as he hadn't done much at his two previous clubs.

Upon arrival at Princes Park, there is one trait that stands out to me and that is he doesn't mind chasing & tackling, there is a defensive mindset. To that end, I'd like to see him groomed as a permanent defender but in the role that we have been screaming for, that being to mind the dangerous forward pocket goal-sneaks (eg. Betts, Blair etc).

I'm not saying it is a certainty to work but I feel that both he & the club stand to gain so much more if it does turn out positively.
Actually, Sheik, it is not a bad idea at all. He is not bad in the air (although he dropped some sitters today) and his kicking is reasonable. Someone has to take over Simmo's role eventually. Why not give Lamb a try?

The small forward spot is probably our biggest structural weakness at the moment: we don't get crumbing goals. Silvagni has been closer to doing that than anyone else we've tried so far, and he is an 18 year old kid. Having a Betts or even a Garlett would make ur forward line SO much more potent!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #39

I was listening to Daniel Gorringe speaking before the game and he made the point that recent post match reviews were positive with lots of good indicators.  I guess that shows how much supporters are in the dark (and particularly one bloke who sits near me!).

Sumner had no pre-season and was injured for years so he's probably running out of puff. Will be good for us with a full pre-season and this season under his belt. Lamb was probably an "extra" in the deal so was never expecting alot. Boekhorst will probably come in for him next week.

Nothing like having someone up forward who you have confidence in to mark it. Gives the mids so much confidence, straightens them up and allows the ball to enter the forward line so much more quickly and efficiently.  Weitering though certainly gave us something and helped us get close, as did C.Curnow picking up his game.

Reply #40
I have to agree. They are simply not getting enough of the ball at the moment and not ding enough with it when they have got it. Sumner had a couple of shocking turnovers today that lead directly to Weagle goals. Yes, he wasn't alone, but with guys like Boekhorst (finally) showing something, it is time to get them a go in the VFL. They will be with us in 2017. Other guys have not had an opportunity yet, and need to in the next few weeks.

I wouldn't play Charlie Curnow next week either. He didn't make much of a contribution, which isn't a huge surprise, considering what he has been through this year. He showed he is going to be a player. Fine. Now try Jones. Jones has to convince SOS and Bolts that he is worth persevering with.

I was happy enough with Weitering. He is not in great form at the moment, but it is a long season for young kids like him. He didn't have a good match up in defence for periods of the game, so sending him forward was definitely worth the risk and gave us some rewards. He will probably pinch hit as a forward in the future sometimes, so we saw that he can do it.

I think dropping Curnow for Jones is a backward step.  Curnow really grew into the game and given he's been out for more than three months it was a better than serviceable effort.

Reply #41

He was essentially an "extra" though amongst the 4 we got from GWS. Defence is worth a shot although he might get dropped for Boekhorst next week.

Reply #42
I think dropping Curnow for Jones is a backward step.  Curnow really grew into the game and given he's been out for more than three months it was a better than serviceable effort.

Casboult will come back in next week so doubt Jones will. Would've been nice to have both he and Weitering up forward in the 2nd half.

Reply #43
One thing today showed us. Once we can get a few decent midfielders we will be good. Definitely our target this draft/trade period. Look forward to Cunningham getting a run, Boekhorst coming back.

With SOS and eventuallly C.Curnow we don't need Everitt or Walker much more offten

Reply #44
I should have mentioned that I liked the orange socks today.  The "Carlton Respects" initiative is timely and recognises the role social influencers can have to change unacceptable and damaging behaviour.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball