Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 17: Post Game Paralysis: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 21717 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 17: Post Game Paralysis: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #60
If Cripps is playing injured then his second half is one for the ages. He was unbelievable and worked in superbly with Gibbs.

One of the reporters in the post match presser commented that Cripps' last q numbers were "extraordinary" and the reporter then asked Bolts " were you entitled to ask "where was that for the first 3 q, or is that being harsh on the young fella ?". Bolts said something like " it's difficult to play 4q at that level week in week out, and Cripps' contested stats are among the best in the league."

Reply #61
People going in to bat for Kristian Jaksch.....purlease. Arguably the worst player on our list & his papers have been stamped. Sometimes you gotta just say no.

Graham made a much better fist of his opportunity today than he did against the Lions all those weeks ago......good for him, was pleased to see it. Buckley was okay.....

3 x consecutive turnovers for 3 x 15m uncontested dribble goals.....game was lost right there (Cripps' kicking for goal also a contributing factor). West Coast again live up to their well-earned name as flat-track bullies.....although a bit more care in front of goal by their forwards might've been a whole different story too. Jack Darling 0.5 for the day.....ouch!!!

Sam Rowe - awesome. Started the year in my eyes as one of the biggest spuds in the AFL, right now would be top 5 in the B&F.....and deservedly so. Apart from Josh Gibson - is their a better spoiler in the AFL? Simmo & Docherty......imagine some of the results this year if not for Rowe, Simmo & Docherty???

Would've been nice to get 4 quarters out of Cripps & Gibbs, but their 2nd halves were simply outstanding.

Isn't it great watching some of these young blokes develop before our eyes? Curnow Jnr. has got future gun written all over him, SOS Jnr. is such a clone of his Dad it's spooky & Weitering.....'nuff said.

We're getting a mix of coach-killing moments & then glimpses of future greatness.....it's unpredictable & frustrating as all hell at times, but I'm hoping the short term pain will be worth it.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #62
I'm still undecided on KJ, but generally agree - fair post Brettie.

Reply #63
The only extra was Jaksch.
He will be delisted

If you think he'll be delisted then he'll probably win a Brownlow. Not that I'd expect you to understand but he drew the short straw big time as our only key forward at his age and experience, especially in a side that had 3.3 by half time. That was one tough gig. Those that know anything about football would get that, those that don't would simply write him off on one performance. Certainly looked better in defence in the 2nd half. We didn't lose anything and allowed Weitering to go forward. Jaksch will turn out ok but Weitering is another step again in ability.

I wouldn't think he'd be delisted. One he's contracted for next year, plus he's just 21. At pick 7 we'll persist a bit longer.

Reply #64
We've seen Crippa "work his way into games" more than once. His capacity to will himself, at times on the back of what seems (to uninformed observers like me) an ordinary start, is Judd like. Extraordinary indeed. Wait till he's gets a few games and preseasons under his belt - he'll be unstoppable.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #65
We've seen Crippa "work his way into games" more than once. His capacity to will himself, at times on the back of what seems (to uninformed observers like me) an ordinary start, is Judd like. Extraordinary indeed. Wait till he's gets a few games and preseasons under his belt - he'll be unstoppable.

Fair post their LoveNavy.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #66
Too true LoveNavy , I remember posting mid way through the second qtr , he had 5 hb's only, massive second half and dragged some others with him, ala Juddy , was great to see

Reply #67
Lining up for the game my old man remarked that weitering would be good to put forward for a half to ease up the pressure on him. Seemed the coach was listening.

Odd game, and was grim viewing for a while as the congestion clogged up play. At stages, with 36 players in one sixth of the ground, only a stray pie wrapper made for any movement. West Coast wouldn't be too happy with their performance. They should have put us to bed earlier, but bad kicking is bad something.

As for us, this game and the rest of the season is working out who stays, who goes and what the future looks like. As many have mentioned, Jacksh was poor, just lacking effort and desperation. He will get another game or two, but cant see him lasting much longer. He is playing a difficult role, but desire has to be there.  Sumner missed a pre season and it shows, but some time in the seconds would help him. Lamb dropped his bundle after dropping a lace out pass. Buckley is unlikely to continue. He just doesnt impact games enough and more is expected of a player in his fifth year.

The ruck future for carlton does not involve Kruezer. His game today was a few tap outs, some bash and crash and zero marks. Phillips had the same number of tap outs and disposals, but took 4 marks. He impacted the game, where Kruezer does not and it is doubtful he ever will. We like him as a player, and he has a mountain of courage. But he cant do what a ruckman now has to deliver which is an impact on the game especially around the ground.

Good performances from phillips, Simpson yet again, docherty, and weitering who looked as natural up forward as any of our regular 'forwards'. He is just an excellent footballer. Kerridge worked hard all game, despite his disposal letting him down. Charlie curnow looked good in the second half. Rowe too performed well, and cripps and gibbs put in final quarters for the ages. Not sure what happened to them in the first half.

Next week will see some more players measured for next season.  We are playing a long game.

Reply #68
For me the important take out from today's effort was that although we made plenty of skill errors and turnovers, some leading directly to WC goals, we are laying very strong foundations in terms of spirit and culture and the ability to dig in and never give up. This will be especially good when bringing in new talent in that they will have a strong established team spirit and game plan to become a part of. We have lacked this for many years now but today I saw that these things have certainly started to become established and will no doubt improve.

As others have said, 3 or 4 skilled players added to the group we saw today would make a very significant difference and the future is beginning to look a lot better.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #69

If you think he'll be delisted then he'll probably win a Brownlow. Not that I'd expect you to understand but he drew the short straw big time as our only key forward at his age and experience, especially in a side that had 3.3 by half time. That was one tough gig. Those that know anything about football would get that, those that don't would simply write him off on one performance. Certainly looked better in defence in the 2nd half. We didn't lose anything and allowed Weitering to go forward. Jaksch will turn out ok but Weitering is another step again in ability.

I wouldn't think he'd be delisted. One he's contracted for next year, plus he's just 21. At pick 7 we'll persist a bit longer.

Just because you continue to write it, doesn't mean it's fact.
The club are filthy with some of the contracts and trades/drafts that they were saddled with.
Thankfully the new management will overhaul the list at first opportunity.
Some guys on large contracts with little output will get a big shock.
KJ struggled to break in to an ordinary side then put in a howler.
He may have a contract next year, but he's no certainty to stay. If he does, next year will be it.
Of course that's after his brownlow.

Reply #70
Kj is another transitional player.

He is neither good nor bad, and is a non factor for us moving forward.

The future lies elsewhere unless he wants to pull his finger out.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #71
Just because you continue to write it, doesn't mean it's fact.
The club are filthy with some of the contracts and trades/drafts that they were saddled with.
Thankfully the new management will overhaul the list at first opportunity.
Some guys on large contracts with little output will get a big shock.
KJ struggled to break in to an ordinary side then put in a howler.
He may have a contract next year, but he's no certainty to stay. If he does, next year will be it.
Of course that's after his brownlow.

There are times on this site where it reminds me of some of the share / stock sites.  People pump up a stock ( in this case player) for their own interest.  The unabashed love and support for Kristian Jaksch (on multiple forums) by some individuals when he was playing like an uncommitted spud in the twos (has he seen many games live?) to his positive spin on his abismal performance yesterday (again did he see it live? I don't think the TV gives you a great perspective) tends to point to a vested interest.  Jaksch will get another game or two, only to confirm what we already know: he needs to be delisted. 

Reply #72
Happy with the lads young Jack is a player.

Jaksch can do better than that

Graham was really good

Buckley was amongst it and gave more than Daisy

Charlie like Jaksch perhaps needed that game to blow out some cobwebs maybe.

Play Weitering forward and bring McGlasker in the team. Weitering is an elite talent in the Buddy Franklin mould.

Reply #73
Happy with the lads young Jack is a player.

Jaksch can do better than that

Graham was really good

Buckley was amongst it and gave more than Daisy

Charlie like Jaksch perhaps needed that game to blow out some cobwebs maybe.

Play Weitering forward and bring McGlasker in the team. Weitering is an elite talent in the Buddy Franklin mould.

Whooo there Pinot, bit over the top.

Weitering while a excellent player is no Buddy Franklin, but we haven't seen Weiters unload 60m+ goals yet and I know he can from watching his junior days. But he is 3 yards slower than Franklin and at the moment Weitering is 1/2 the strength.

Not sure Jaksch can do better than that, he delivered exactly what I expected from his VFL form. He doesn't work hard enough and that means the ball has to find him, he doesn't find the ball. Excluding injuries to others expect him out next week, Casboult in and maybe Jones in. AFL coaches will forgive most things except lack of work rate / effort.

Buckley was OK, not better or worse than Daisy, and didn't work nearly as hard as Daisy does. He needs to spend more time getting into opponents and less time winding up team-mates. Personally, I thought the Buckley/Armfield mix didn't work, Armfield was wasted and never got enough time to make his work ethic deliver.

Agree on Charlie Curnow, he looked rusty but got better as the day rolled on, should have been awarded for a great mark in front of McGovern.

JGM is not ready.

The form guy I think they should be promoting is Gowers and letting White be the swing-man. Having Gowers surrounded by the in-form Docherty, Plowman and Simpson makes it an ideal time to be blooding the kid.

PS: Is it ironic that our best forward was one of our defenders, sort of tells you something! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74
There are times on this site where it reminds me of some of the share / stock sites.  People pump up a stock ( in this case player) for their own interest.  The unabashed love and support for Kristian Jaksch (on multiple forums) by some individuals when he was playing like an uncommitted spud in the twos (has he seen many games live?) to his positive spin on his abismal performance yesterday (again did he see it live? I don't think the TV gives you a great perspective) tends to point to a vested interest.  Jaksch will get another game or two, only to confirm what we already know: he needs to be delisted.

Some of it borders on fanatical.
He simply isn't very good.
There is no need to get personal, but some guys can't control there emotions.

He was so poor we couldn't score and as soon as Weitering moved forward, the gates opened up, because McGovern stopped taking intercept marks every time the ball went forward.