Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 17: Post Game Paralysis: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 21793 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 17: Post Game Paralysis: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #45
I was not that enamored with the fact that Lamb was coming to the club as he hadn't done much at his two previous clubs.

Upon arrival at Princes Park, there is one trait that stands out to me and that is he doesn't mind chasing & tackling, there is a defensive mindset. To that end, I'd like to see him groomed as a permanent defender but in the role that we have been screaming for, that being to mind the dangerous forward pocket goal-sneaks (eg. Betts, Blair etc).

I'm not saying it is a certainty to work but I feel that both he & the club stand to gain so much more if it does turn out positively.

In most of his games I had a different opinion and felt that he has lacked the effort and speed to chase and assert real pressure - more of a 'run-along-after-the-guy-with-the-ball' type without ever looking likely to catch him, like Gibbs has always been. About the only game when I shared your opinion was against the Saints, when he really showed some intensity. I prefer Sumner.

Reply #46
Reckon we need to ease up on Jaksch....sure he didnt have a great game, had some bad errors but he also took a hit for the team when he backed into a marking contest and while making a good spoil. Its all about workrate with KJ and if he keeps committing himself like that spoil then he will make it and have the coach in his corner.
Weitering is injured and needs resting and I'd be playing KJ at CHB where he looks more comfortable and where I have seen him play his best footy.

It was a fairly uninspiring game until about 10 minutes to go and some of our young blokes like Weitering and Curnow got us back in the game..SOSOS took some good marks and if you took some of the over possessing errors out it wasnt a bad effort albeit  that West Coast are pretenders and not really top 4 material.

I'm a Charlie Curnow fan and reckon he has more ability than most and I'd be keeping him in the team....also like his enthusiasm and the way he goes about his work, he some attitude and you compare him to Everitt for example and you can see winning means something to Charlie other than just a another paycheck...

Reply #47
SOS's shank was up there with one of the best i've seen. Levi would be proud of that one..lol

Reply #48
First off I was pretty disappointed that with so many secret service agents with so much fire power and not one terrorist umpire was taken out.
The comments about Jaksch seem very similar to the comments that have been made about Rowe, White, Buckley, Graham, Armfield, E Curnow, Gorringe and a few others over the years. I thought he was pretty committed to the contest. As I said last week about Jones with the Northern Blues, being center half forward for Carlton is probably the second toughest job in football.
Bonehead errors killed us today but the upside was the efforts of our young players. Silvagni, Weitering and C Curnow, who were fantastic today, along with Cripps, Phillips, Buckley & Graham.
Let's celebrate the future rather than wallow in the disappointment of the result.

Reply #49
Reckon we need to ease up on Jaksch....sure he didnt have a great game, had some bad errors but he also took a hit for the team when he backed into a marking contest and while making a good spoil. Its all about workrate with KJ and if he keeps committing himself like that spoil then he will make it and have the coach in his corner.
Weitering is injured and needs resting and I'd be playing KJ at CHB where he looks more comfortable and where I have seen him play his best footy.

It was a fairly uninspiring game until about 10 minutes to go and some of our young blokes like Weitering and Curnow got us back in the game..SOSOS took some good marks and if you took some of the over possessing errors out it wasnt a bad effort albeit  that West Coast are pretenders and not really top 4 material.

I'm a Charlie Curnow fan and reckon he has more ability than most and I'd be keeping him in the team....also like his enthusiasm and the way he goes about his work, he some attitude and you compare him to Everitt for example and you can see winning means something to Charlie other than just a another paycheck...

From what we've seen, with some of these younger players, we just a few good midfielders away from becoming a very good side in a couple of years.

Reply #50
Enjoyed the "never give up" performance today. It gives the players the experience of relative success with sustained physical and mental focus and determination. Will teach them how to win the close ones in time.

Re: Inclusions
I thought Buckley was OK, certainly showed more defensive pressure landing some good tackles. His reflexive goal showed his improved strength and confidence. Nick G likewise showed his defensive development. He needs another string to his bow to hold his place atm. Charlie did well on return. He worked his way into the game and will be better for the run. I can see him and SOJ giving us much needed forward options in years to come. KJ, well. Some great defensive moves, but less in offense. I'd like to see him with a few games in a row in a familiar role to give him a chance to adjust and show what he's got. As I understand he's been in the system a few years and ? had a full preseason. His green shoots should be emerging soon.... Bring it young fella

The CARLTON RESPECTS initiative is refreshing. Gee how good does orange look with navy? (enter the SOS Giants relationship for the off season :P)

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #51
Enjoyed the "never give up" performance today. It gives the players the experience of relative success with sustained physical and mental focus and determination. Will teach them how to win the close ones in time.

Re: Inclusions
I thought Buckley was OK, certainly showed more defensive pressure landing some good tackles. His reflexive goal showed his improved strength and confidence. Nick G likewise showed his defensive development. He needs another string to his bow to hold his place atm. Charlie did well on return. He worked his way into the game and will be better for the run. I can see him and SOJ giving us much needed forward options in years to come. KJ, well. Some great defensive moves, but less in offense. I'd like to see him with a few games in a row in a familiar role to give him a chance to adjust and show what he's got. As I understand he's been in the system a few years and ? had a full preseason. His green shoots should be emerging soon.... Bring it young fella

The CARLTON RESPECTS initiative is refreshing. Gee how good does orange look with navy? (enter the SOS Giants relationship for the off season :P)

Go Blues

Lost much of his pre-season due to illness. Couldn't play the NAB Challenge games.

Reply #52
From what we've seen, with some of these younger players, we just a few good midfielders away from becoming a very good side in a couple of years.

Yep..plenty of positives IMO and it was the young blokes leading the way along with a couple of wise old heads like Simpson, Gibbs and a new wise old head in Docherty..

Agree..couple of slick bigger mids, Forward Pocket Goal sneak and a genuine FF who can convert and we have a lot of the foundations covered and I expect a consistent climb up the ladder...

Reply #53
We're to be applauded for our effort seeing as we nearly toppled last years Grand Finalist despite being hugely inexperienced in terms of total games at AFL Level (SOS, C, Curnow, Weitering, Jacksh, Sumner, Phillips, Plowman, Buckley, Graham, Kerridge and Lamb all played less than 20-25 games).
Simmo and Doc played  well again.
Kreuz doesn't seem to be himself.
Great to see Gibbs and Cripps fight their way out of their bad first halves, with killer 2nd half performances.
As usual, poor ball use and terrible turnovers cost us dearly.

Reply #54
Yep..plenty of positives IMO and it was the young blokes leading the way along with a couple of wise old heads like Simpson, Gibbs and a new wise old head in Docherty..

Agree..couple of slick bigger mids, Forward Pocket Goal sneak and a genuine FF who can convert and we have a lot of the foundations covered and I expect a consistent climb up the ladder...

Docherty is the new wise old young head and Weiters is the newest wisest old youngest head in the AFL.
Add in the likes of Crippa, Plowman, SOJ, and the very personable Phillips, and we've got some leadership to build our future on.
Who else might emerge as leaders?
As the little man said "our future is strong"
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #55
Our endeavor was there, we just lacked a fair bit of polish. I think it will come.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #56
Agree with Elwood about Jaksch - was asked to play a role he really isn't suited for. Tough gig first up. He looked a bit lost, but give him a chance, maybe play him in defence next week (as I reckon Weitering might miss).

Great effort to keep them to 12 goals - we probably had our weakest team in for the year, I expected them to blow us away in the 2nd half.

I left at the start of the last qtr, so I missed nearly half of our goals!

Reply #57
If Cripps is playing injured then his second half is one for the ages. He was unbelievable and worked in superbly with Gibbs. 

Reply #58
If Cripps is playing injured then his second half is one for the ages. He was unbelievable and worked in superbly with Gibbs.
I heard today that he is being 'carefully managed' so that he can 'see out the season'. Apparently he is nowhere near 100% fit, but his 2nd half today was one to remember.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #59
He was essentially an "extra" though amongst the 4 we got from GWS. Defence is worth a shot although he might get dropped for Boekhorst next week.

The only extra was Jaksch.
He will be delisted