Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle (Read 38038 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle

Reply #30
Different player IMO..Docherty defends as well as rebounds, Simpson is a pure rebounder these days which is fine but you have to hit up your targets more and setup play
better than he does by being a longer more penetrating kick.
An example is Laird of the Crows....doesnt defend much one on one but is a pure rebounder and his kicking is elite...

Luke Ryan kicked a goal because Simmo couldnt be bothered trying to spoil or defend and allowed the ball through to Ryan.......great getting 30 kicks but we need him to stop balls like that ending up an easy goal...not devaluing him as a footballer but he has his limitations these days and should retire IMO.

Agreed mate. Docherty is a massive hole in our defence. Massive.
Keep the Faith

Reply #31

Absolutely...and I'll concede we're missing him much more that I thought we would.
In fact the abandonment of our "supposed" more attacking style this year was probably due to the fact we realised we couldn't do that without him.
It's also thrown a greater burden on Simpson and the other defenders.

Reply #32

Woody..Yep he is...other thing he provides is leadership and a cool head...directing the ball is a important feature of rebounding and Docherty makes safe choices.
The backline with him and ACOS in it looks and feels safe.....Jones and Rowe leading the way makes me nervous...

Reply #33
We can't play Jones, Weitering and Rowe in the same side.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #34

Think its time to for Sam to call time...been a great clubman but he is struggling IMO and this new trend of small/mid size forwards leaves us with less options when he plays....
Weitering was Ok today and Jones should have been used on ball a bit IMO....

Reply #35

We can if we give Jones a roving role
Let him create his chaos all over the field and give him some time in the ruck as well.

Reply #36
Out the door: Simmo, Daisy and Rowe.

And sure, Simmo was one of our best, but so what.

But again, it ws our midfield that was AWOL (not discounting some horrific f ups by Rowe and Weitering).

Cripps largely held - then Dow, SPS, Fish, O'Brien, Graham , Kerridge, Lang simply way off the pace, literally and metaphorically.

Even my Dockers' mates I sat with were embarrassed - repeatedly - by our efforts.

Positives? None today.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37
Interesting tweet from Rhys Palmer today:

"Everyone talks about draft picks and developing youth but no one ever talks about culture...."

Reply #38
Think its time to for Sam to call time...been a great clubman but he is struggling IMO and this new trend of small/mid size forwards leaves us with less options when he plays....
Weitering was Ok today and Jones should have been used on ball a bit IMO....

Weitering played like a C grader today. No poise, no skill....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #39
Interesting tweet from Rhys Palmer today:

"Everyone talks about draft picks and developing youth but no one ever talks about culture...."

He's right.

As time has gone on, I've become more and more convinced that Andy Mac is a big part of the problem. Our recent slide started immediately after he took over, and he's in charge of a football department with 4 badly performing teams.

Big questions need to be asked.

Reply #40
Out the door: Simmo, Daisy and Rowe.

And sure, Simmo was one of our best, but so what.

But again, it ws our midfield that was AWOL (not discounting some horrific f ups by Rowe and Weitering).

Cripps largely held - then Dow, SPS, Fish, O'Brien, Graham , Kerridge, Lang simply way off the pace, literally and metaphorically.

Even my Dockers' mates I sat with were embarrassed - repeatedly - by our efforts.

Positives? None today.
Cripps largely held? He had 38 possessions, 16 contested.

Only thing held was his arm or jumper without being given a free kick.

Reply #41
Cripps largely held? He had 38 possessions, 16 contested.

Only thing held was his arm or jumper without being given a free kick.

First half he did nothing. Game over.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #43
Well, that wasn’t the result I was hoping for for my first live game this season ????

I won’t say anything about the game yet - I need to gather my thoughts - and I would like to focus on off-field issues.

First of all, it was my first train trip to the footy from Geelong and the service, particularly the customer service, was first class.

The social club was the same as always; not great but OK, and I caught up with two cousins; part of my extended family of Carlton supporters.

I got to my seat on the second level; a position that provides a great view of the ground and the plays that are unfolding.  Well, it would if folk could take their seat before quarters start and don’t have to get past me several times each quarter for drinks, snacks and toilet breaks ????

I went to the Victory Room at half time and caught up with some mates over a couple of beers.  Then it was back to applauding our resurgence ????

I then went to the post-game function and listened to the great man Kouta talk about what he hopes for our players and confess that he is only interested in soccer once every four years.

What struck me in all of that is that there is a tangible positive vibe among supporters, despite a woeful on-field performance.  Andy Lee remarked that thought he would be talking to an empty room but the post-game function was packed and members are clearly looking for long term, sustained success and have moved on from the focus on immediate success that got us into the state we’re in.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #44
We can if we give Jones a roving role
Let him create his chaos all over the field and give him some time in the ruck as well.

I think that Jones is a good key defender who is sometimes very good but I think that Weitering and Rowe are also key defenders.
None of them can cut it as key forwards and no side needs three key defenders, particularly as we also have Plowman and Marchbank who can play tall.
I think that we're ruining Weitering, he doesn't know where he fits or what he's supposed to be doing, he should be playing on the best opposition forward week in and week out.
Rowe isn't a long term prospect and we may as well let him finish his time in the VFL and try and lay some foundations for the future.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.