Skip to main content
Topic: Where Will The Goals Come From in 2014 ?? (Read 17186 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Where Will The Goals Come From in 2014 ??

Reply #15
If Warnock could add 10+, then IMO that's a pretty good contribution from our rucks

He's kicked 13 in his entire career, he has no idea in the F50.

Reply #16

From an individual's perspective, giving them a lofty goal is great (although it will be demotivating if it's unreachable).

I agree with this.
 I have always thought that every forward should have the aim(goal :P ) to score 1 goal (or assist) per Qtr.
6 Forwards = 6 goals a qtr x 4 qtr's = 24 goals. Now that is a big score and won't happen every week, but as players, you need to aim at something, and to me, for forwards, a goal a qtr is a good place to start !!

Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #17
If SpecialK gets to 20 goals he will be well ahead of expectations.

I doubt Warnock will get more than 4 goals for the season, and I will be happy to eat my words if it happens otherwise.

If Rowe or Casboult play, they need 20~30 goals just to break even, as would be the case with Hendo or Waite.

I suspect Watson could get 20 goals or more this coming season if he plays enough games. I think Walker and Garlett could be in for big years.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
Daisy knows how to find the big sticks and usually is a good finisher. He could be our highest scoring mid at least. Would like to see Judd nail more, Murphy, Gibbs, and Tuohy the champ. We need more goals from our mids, Garlett, Armfield and definitely Yarran. Take the heat off the forwards.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #19
Daisy knows how to find the big sticks and usually is a good finisher. He could be our highest scoring mid at least. Would like to see Judd nail more, Murphy, Gibbs, and Tuohy the champ. We need more goals from our mids, Garlett, Armfield and definitely Yarran. Take the heat off the forwards.

My thoughts exactly, not sure what the stats say but our midfield needs to impact the scoreboard more. One of the reasons I like the pickup of Daisy, proven goalkicking mid and adds another dimension to our midfield and forward line that was perhaps missing.

I think Murphy kicked something like 30 in his AA year, would love to see him up there again. Gibbs I also would love see pushing hard forward and kicking more goals, IMPACT THE GAME, enough with the cheapies on the half back line.

Reply #20
Take away last year and his rookie year and Thomas gets about 20 goals a season.

Murphy has kicked 31 in a season before (wasn't his AA year) but he averages about 20 goals as well when you take away his rookie year.

I don't know if Murphy is the best mid in the comp when you put the ball in his hands within 15m of the 50m line but if he isn't then list ahead of him would be very short. Reminds me a lot of Ratten in that regard, also exceptional close to the 50m line.

Anyway, we should expect 35 to 50 goals from these two. If we don't get that, then it will be a long year.

Reply #21
Please may I stick my neck out?
I think Casboult is capable of playing a Cloke role up forward.
He has great hands and  if he projects himself and is sorted as a target
he will create pressure for crumbers. I think Menzel will be  very useful pair of hands on the forward line.
I woud be swinging Waite, Everitt  and Henderson between between forward and backline.  Lots of goald coming this year!.

Reply #22
Hawks goals in the GF:

Gunston 4, Roughead 2, Franklin, Rioli, Smith, Breust, Hill   

Gunston - third tall (Waite/Menzel?)
Roughead (Kreuzer?)
Frankiln (gone)
Rioli (Garlett/Yazz)
Smith (Lucas)
Breust (Walker/Gibbs)
Hill (Yazz)

Let's not get carried away with the 2 gun KPPs requirement, win the ball at the contest, use it well and the goals will come......
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #23
It'll have to be a comination of blokes - tall, medium and small...midfielders included which will make us very dangerous.

Of the medium/smaller types - we ofcourse have Garlett, Yarran, Murphy, Thomas and co but I am optimistic about the year for someone I have not been a big fan of (particularly playing as a winger/mid which he's been poor at at AFL level IMO) and that is Kane Lucas. Is 188cm tall but to me can find the ball well and could easily (in Betts' absence) become a mid-size forward for us along with Menzel, Garlett and Murphy. I think Judd would be great forward but seems to strugle to hit the scoreboard there. As an impacting mid and/or winger will be his go in 2014 for mine. Murphy I recon will kick 25-30+ goals this year and be a dominating force. lucas could get the 25 goal mark which is a massive leap for him but i reckon his role at AFL level is not as a specialt mid/winger but could become as a small/medium forward type.

I think the small/medium types to do well might in fact be Garlett, Murphy, Menzel, Lucas, Walker and Everitt.

Watson as a tall forward along with Henderson and a big unit such as Kreuzer or Casboult to play predominately deep gets us going adding in a mid/taller roaming type in Walker and/or Everitt. That's a hard match-up unit and we need them to come on together as a forward unit and become something for us. A thing to remember for mine with the big units such as MK and Levi playing deep is that they may in fact work better with a Walker or Everitt with pace and height leading up from the square at times also. ot so much Garlett but the harder matchup in Walks and Spider Junior.

Reply #24
It has been an overused line amongst our camp in recent seasons about how footy has moved away from the necessity of having a good tall forward and a CHF. I've always called bullcrap on that and it has exposed us a few too many times. 

It had put a huge weight on our small forwards that they couldn't (naturally) always live up to. Ideally your smalls crumb and rove the packs inside forward 50 for opportunistic goals. Not at Carlton. I've felt sick that many times that I'd seen Eddie playing lead up forward. 

When our smalls have what is considered a 'quiet' game based on the expectations put on them through a lack of a genuine forward, you'll probably find that a 'quiet' game may be the standard for most smalls around the league with sufficient tall support...because that's what a small forward is supposed to be, a crumbing support act to the tall timber.

Reply #25
I see where flyboy is coming from but I think Gozza is right on the money in my opinion anyway, you still need structure and stability up forward with your two key talls and then does everything else fall into place. Sure you will catch teams out by scoring through other avenues during the season, but finals time has always been big boy time. That doesn't mean they will do all the goal scoring but it's about the flow on effect.

Reply #26
I've felt sick that many times that I'd seen Eddie playing lead up forward. 

That was actually Betts' strength. He was less effective last year playing a a real crumber.

I do agree that you need a gun key forward though.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #27
I see where flyboy is coming from but I think Gozza is right on the money in my opinion anyway, you still need structure and stability up forward with your two key talls and then does everything else fall into place. Sure you will catch teams out by scoring through other avenues during the season, but finals time has always been big boy time. That doesn't mean they will do all the goal scoring but it's about the flow on effect.

Earl Spalding, as many have alluded to before, was no star but played a huge role in the '95 season and flag (34 in the whole season, 1 in the GF).

No reason either of Rowe or Casboult (let alone Hendo, Waite or even the new kid (Giles - 195cm, 95kg) couldn't fill that role?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #28
Earl Spalding, as many have alluded to before, was no star but played a huge role in the '95 season and flag (34 in the whole season, 1 in the GF).
Spalding was way more mobile than either Rowe or Casboult and despite his weird kicking style he kicked straight more than 50% of the time. Plus he could clunk marks and also hold down CHF and was more than useful as a 2nd ruck option.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29

No reason either of Rowe or Casboult (let alone Hendo, Waite or even the new kid (Giles - 195cm, 95kg) couldn't fill that role?

The Golf Ball also never hesitated to throw his considerable frame about the place... and his smother (as I've mentioned before) in the 95 GF was a real turning point. Our forward line pressure that day was fantastic.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17