Skip to main content
Topic: Where Will The Goals Come From in 2014 ?? (Read 17183 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Where Will The Goals Come From in 2014 ??

Reply #30
The Golf Ball also never hesitated to throw his considerable frame about the place... and his smother (as I've mentioned before) in the 95 GF was a real turning point. Our forward line pressure that day was fantastic.

Setanta had aspects of his game that reminded me of Spalding, if only O'hAilpin had known something(anything) about football!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
The Golf Ball also never hesitated to throw his considerable frame about the place... and his smother (as I've mentioned before) in the 95 GF was a real turning point. Our forward line pressure that day was fantastic.

Setanta had aspects of his game that reminded me of Spalding, if only O'hAilpin had known something(anything) about football!

Agree... if only you could have put Setant's ticker into some other blokes bodies... or had him from a much younger age learning our game!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #32
Setanta could play regardless, the injuries ruined his career.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #33
I see where flyboy is coming from but I think Gozza is right on the money in my opinion anyway, you still need structure and stability up forward with your two key talls and then does everything else fall into place. Sure you will catch teams out by scoring through other avenues during the season, but finals time has always been big boy time. That doesn't mean they will do all the goal scoring but it's about the flow on effect.

Earl Spalding, as many have alluded to before, was no star but played a huge role in the '95 season and flag (34 in the whole season, 1 in the GF).

No reason either of Rowe or Casboult (let alone Hendo, Waite or even the new kid (Giles - 195cm, 95kg) couldn't fill that role?

I am totally with you there flyboy, I reckon and hoping one of the them does step up and plays that role along with Hendo up forward, as I cant see Waite playing a whole season. It's funny you mention the kid Giles as well, I was thinking the other day that he might not be a bad option as a 3rd tall at this stage up forward or down back, maybe not early on but as the season progresses he may come into the fray.

Reply #34

My opinion, Ratten was largely to blame, never let the guy settle anywhere, Could have filled any of the KPP spots (any of four  ;) )
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #35

My opinion, Ratten was largely to blame, never let the guy settle anywhere, Could have filled any of the KPP spots (any of four  ;) )

In fact, he simply wasn't good enough.  At the time, he was one of our best forward options but that was because we were crap.  His failure to make any impression at GWS confirmed how bad we were.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #36

In fact, he simply wasn't good enough.  At the time, he was one of our best forward options but that was because we were crap.  His failure to make any impression at GWS confirmed how bad we were.

You are basing that opinion on what exactly?

He showed on numerous occasions that he could win the contest in a KPP role.

Saying " he simply wasn't good enough' is a cheap cop out. imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37
So it looks like we're going to lose our 2013 and 2014 leading goal kickers after losing our 2012 leading goal kicker last year.

Who will be 2015's leading goal kickers?

Reply #38
Menzel  8)