Skip to main content
Topic: Formula 1 (Read 89346 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Formula 1

Reply #76
Seb "The Breaker" Vettel hard at it again over the weekend, when he retires from F1 he should start a wrecking business!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #77
Good move by Ricciardo, he'll get a much fairer run now and hopefully a car to match.

Verstappen has infected Red Bull with his Euro dollars, Euro F1 inbreeding makes Tasmania look liberated!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #78
Good move by Ricciardo, he'll get a much fairer run now and hopefully a car to match.

Verstappen has infected Red Bull with his Euro dollars, Euro F1 inbreeding makes Tasmania look liberated!
I would have thought he would have ended up at McLaren.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #79
I would have thought he would have ended up at McLaren.

If 2 teams have the same engine, always go with the manufacturer team as they will get preferential treatment.

The renault team is the next best behind the big 3 in terms of results this season, despite not having a driver the calibre of Alonso in their car.

Good move IMO.

Its always said that its better to be the #1 driver in the #2 team, than the #2 driver in the #1 team.
Using that logic with the knowledge that Verstappen will get preferential treatment sooner or later at Red Bull, he would either be behind Hamilton, Vettel or Verstappen in the big 3, better off being the #1 in the 4th team.

I wonder if he can drag anyone along with him....Horner? Newey?

Reply #80
If 2 teams have the same engine, always go with the manufacturer team as they will get preferential treatment.

The renault team is the next best behind the big 3 in terms of results this season, despite not having a driver the calibre of Alonso in their car.

Good move IMO.

Its always said that its better to be the #1 driver in the #2 team, than the #2 driver in the #1 team.
Using that logic with the knowledge that Verstappen will get preferential treatment sooner or later at Red Bull, he would either be behind Hamilton, Vettel or Verstappen in the big 3, better off being the #1 in the 4th team.

I wonder if he can drag anyone along with him....Horner? Newey?
I agree it was a smart choice, just thought he would choose McLaren.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #81
Yep.  Schumacher won his first championship in a benneton Renault then got signed by Ferrari.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #82
Ricciardo better off out of Red Bull with feckwits like Verstappen in the line up!

[flash=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/v/G2zfiiFSdMg[/flash]
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83
Ricciardo better off out of Red Bull with feckwits like Verstappen in the line up!

[flash=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/v/G2zfiiFSdMg[/flash]
Not a fan of Verstappen but liked his reaction and post race interview. F1 is a ruthless cut throat business and he is as ruthless and bloody minded as they get, his decision not to let Ocon through may have been questionable but he is 100% clear on where he wants to be, a lot like Schuey, Senna and many others.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #84
Not a fan of Verstappen but liked his reaction and post race interview. F1 is a ruthless cut throat business and he is as ruthless and bloody minded as they get, his decision not to let Ocon through may have been questionable but he is 100% clear on where he wants to be, a lot like Schuey, Senna and many others.

Really ?  I thought he came across as a petulant, entitled little sh1t......which has been my take on him from the get go.

Maybe he'll mature one day.....but as someone who's followed motor racing for most of 40 years....and grew up listening to my Dad tell stories of watching the likes of Jim Clark, Jack Brabham, Graeme Hill, Bruce McLaren etc. racing around country roads in Northern Tassie.......the current f1 drivers for the most part leave me completely cold.

Maybe it's generational thing....but most of them just have no sort of engaging personality whatsoever.  Riccardo excepted.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #85
I remember Jim Clark especially. He was a very technically correct and precise driver, not flashy but very quick. I read an article by some motoring journalist once where he was taken around one of the European circuits by Jim Clark in a sports car - Spa I think it was. He stated that it was like being out on a very fast country drive but it was completely under control at all times and he felt extremely safe and relaxed in the passenger seat. Clark himself was very relaxed and unruffled. When they had finished a timekeeper informed them that they had in fact broken the lap record for the vehicle class.
The danger was always there in those days though and Clark actually came unstuck and was killed in a fairly minor race in Germany. Some say it was driver error others that it was a tyre problem. Nevertheless, a great driver.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #86
Really ?  I thought he came across as a petulant, entitled little sh1t......which has been my take on him from the get go.

Maybe he'll mature one day.....but as someone who's followed motor racing for most of 40 years....and grew up listening to my Dad tell stories of watching the likes of Jim Clark, Jack Brabham, Graeme Hill, Bruce McLaren etc. racing around country roads in Northern Tassie.......the current f1 drivers for the most part leave me completely cold.

Maybe it's generational thing....but most of them just have no sort of engaging personality whatsoever.  Riccardo excepted.
As I said I'm not a fan but boy he has a ruthless streak.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #87

Maybe he'll mature one day.....

In F1 that could be if he survives that long, it's not meant to be a demolition derby!

..............but as someone who's followed motor racing for most of 40 years....and grew up listening to my Dad tell stories of watching the likes of Jim Clark, Jack Brabham, Graeme Hill, Bruce McLaren etc. racing around country roads in Northern Tassie.......the current f1 drivers for the most part leave me completely cold.

It's not generational, F1 teams learn little from blokes like Verstappen, Hamilton and Vettel, they are technical leeches and breakers. The guys doing the grunt work, the ones taking the team forward are guys like Alonso, Raikonnen and Ricciardo. They are the precision drivers of the sport, the ones the engineers turn to when they want reliable data and diagnosis.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #88
I remember Jim Clark especially. He was a very technically correct and precise driver, not flashy but very quick. I read an article by some motoring journalist once where he was taken around one of the European circuits by Jim Clark in a sports car - Spa I think it was. He stated that it was like being out on a very fast country drive but it was completely under control at all times and he felt extremely safe and relaxed in the passenger seat. Clark himself was very relaxed and unruffled. When they had finished a timekeeper informed them that they had in fact broken the lap record for the vehicle class.
The danger was always there in those days though and Clark actually came unstuck and was killed in a fairly minor race in Germany. Some say it was driver error others that it was a tyre problem. Nevertheless, a great driver.

What are your thoughts on Michael Schumacher Cookie?

A lot of people forget what he was like as a driver because his car was so good for a lot of his career. Most memories of him are winning races with a leg up in the air.

However, when push came to shove, he was as aggressive as anyone and used to spread his elbows and force others to decide if they were ready to have a crash or not.

Of course he had the respect that meant people jumped out of his way, but a saint behind the wheel he was not.

Reply #89
What are your thoughts on Michael Schumacher Cookie?

A lot of people forget what he was like as a driver because his car was so good for a lot of his career. Most memories of him are winning races with a leg up in the air.

However, when push came to shove, he was as aggressive as anyone and used to spread his elbows and force others to decide if they were ready to have a crash or not.

Of course he had the respect that meant people jumped out of his way, but a saint behind the wheel he was not.

Obviously a very hard charger K, and you can't deny his success. However, not my favourite I'm afraid. I was brought up in the era of more gentlemanly behaviour and the likes of Shumacher don't appeal. Another "whatever it takes" merchant. He was a bully,  Jim Clark was a tough competitor but always a gent iirc. I guess it's a generational thing. Rose tinted specs may also be in play!  ;)

Reality always wins in the end.