Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 17: pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 21303 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 17: pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #15
You'd have to think that one of (or both) Graham and Palmer would come in for Cripps. Mature body to play midfield.

I'd even go as far to say Smedts is a small chance as he's good size and i liked a few things he did in the 2's.

Why not all 3?

OUT: White, Cripps, Lamb, Sheehan
IN: Silvagni, Graham, Smedts, Palmer

You are not going to replace Cripps with one player, so try 3.

Agree on those changes but I would leave Lamb in and leave Smedts out.....think Docherty may have to run through the midfield as well....I think Byrne would also be a strong chance to play if you wanted a player to play half back and release Docherty.

Reply #16
ACOS, Willo, Boekhorst, Smedts, Byrne, Graham and Palmer would all be realistic possibles for this w/e. Personally I think it'll be ACOS for White, Willo for Sheehan and Graham for Cripps. Byrne, Boekhorst and Palmer emergencies. Pickett could be a smokey.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #17
Agree on those changes but I would leave Lamb in and leave Smedts out.....think Docherty may have to run through the midfield as well....I think Byrne would also be a strong chance to play if you wanted a player to play half back and release Docherty.

Went for Smedts over lamb just because of the size difference.

Size wise, he's probably the closest replacement to Cripps.

Reply #18
Went for Smedts over lamb just because of the size difference.

Size wise, he's probably the closest replacement to Cripps.

Lamb over Smedts owing to a dash of mongrel and thinks like a footballer, Billie is still a bit slow in the decision dept. though has unquestionable ability.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
We should be in full tank mode now. Hopefully the Lions hand us Rayner like they did Weitering.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #20
We should be in full tank mode now. Hopefully the Lions hand us Rayner like they did Weitering.
Not a palatable subject is tanking but I'd be thinking same...

Reply #21
ACOS, Willo, Boekhorst, Smedts, Byrne, Graham and Palmer would all be realistic possibles for this w/e. Personally I think it'll be ACOS for White, Willo for Sheehan and Graham for Cripps. Byrne, Boekhorst and Palmer emergencies. Pickett could be a smokey.
ACOS and Willo in, Cripps and White out. BB will never play again, Graham is not required, Pickett has a very long way to go, needs to change his attitude towards preparation and in game intensity. There is much expectation on a very low draft pick like that and being a low draft pick doesn't cut you slack, in fact it brings heat from what is a very brutal industry. He'll soon learn, one way or the other.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
Byrne is the only bloke at the NBs who currently looks like being more than a mediocre senior player.  No to Smedts et al., opportunities should go to blokes who we should be putting time into not stop gaps.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #23
Tough on Lamb who was very serviceable in his first game back?

Lamb has yet to impress me but I thought his game against the Dees was about as well as I have seen him play so I would be surprised if he was omitted- then again, I was surprised that Graham missed this week.

Reply #24
i really think both SPS and Fisher would benefit from time in the 2s, but clearly I'm in the minority on that one so better STFU.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #25

It was good to see Docherty in the midfield against Melbourne.  I'd prefer him to play as a midfielder and I think that we have the players to cover his absence from the backline, particularly if Byrne can get back to his best.

Lamb did OK and I'd be surprised if he was dropped ... and it's not as if we have NBs knocking down the door for a game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #26
i really think both SPS and Fisher would benefit from time in the 2s, but clearly I'm in the minority on that one so better STFU.....

You can raise your views Fly.

If everyone had the same opinion, this forum would die quickly and people would stop posting.

Personally, I see the merit in what you are saying, but I don't necessarily agree largely because the other options are not really staking a claim to push them out of the side.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #27

Agree, but we lack the depth to do this. Cunningham demonstrates the need for a full season of work before challenging for senior selection in year 2. Fisher is very slight and SPS has much to learn about the game and positioning. They are so young and it would be ideal that they get some game time at VFL level.

Ive never bought the argument that a player will perform better at AFL level so they should start early. VFL is a high standard. I suspect the issue is more about misaligned senior and aeconds teams, i.e. playing a different style and thin lists. The first problem is clearly being addressed this year and the second is a work in progress.

Nevertheless, we may have to play the above because the cupboard is getting a little bare.

Reply #28
It was good to see Docherty in the midfield against Melbourne.  I'd prefer him to play as a midfielder and I think that we have the players to cover his absence from the backline, particularly if Byrne can get back to his best.

Lamb did OK and I'd be surprised if he was dropped ... and it's not as if we NBs knocking down the door for a game.

Well i did think Graham was very useful against the Crows and comfortably held his own/did his part!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #29

I've learned over time that tanking tends to hurt the culture, something BB is working so hard to develop, so no more tanking. Reckon our first pick might go on Josh Kelly anyway.