Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 16 Carlton vs Fremantle at MCG? (Read 7929 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Promise AFL Rd 16 Carlton vs Fremantle at MCG?

Reply #120
If we had not just two, but all three of Gov, Harry and Charlie getting decent chunks of games together, that forward line on paper is nearly as good as Darling, Kennedy and Allen at WC. Based on our recent history, the chances of those 3 enjoying extended time together appears slim IMO.

If we take any combination of two of those blokes, that's already a step up. But once again, i can't see Charlie or Gov playing most games season to season.

Richmond won a couple of flags with Riewoldt and a bunch of midgets, and given that Charlie has been out for 2 years, I was hoping that by now the MC could have cobbled together something more than a Coleman leader and a couple of very minor cameos. Maybe I'm wrong.
I think having high expectations of McGovern are going to have to be tempered, he played his best footy with a red hot Crows team that had the best forward line in the comp as the 4th or 5th forward. Its a lot harder with us in a developing team to get that same service he did with Crows and being injury prone like he is and only averaging 13-14 games a season I think puts him in the category of anything he contributes is a bonus but we need to have a game plan that is built around other players who come with more of a guarantee of being on the park, same applies with Charlie Curnow. IMO we need to invest in some more forward options who we can develop with our other kids.I think as a backman we might get more value and games out of McGovern and we do lack that 3rd tall defender so there is a spot for him if he can stay injury free.

Reply #121
I think having high expectations of McGovern are going to have to be tempered, he played his best footy with a red hot Crows team that had the best forward line in the comp as the 4th or 5th forward.
Given Casboult is 30+, and Charlie should return, why is it you think a similar setup cannot work between Harry, Charlie, Gov and SoJ or even De Koning?

I'd have thought it's just about a perfect mix if our club can get them on the park, to me the negativity seems unjustified.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #122
Given Casboult is 30+, and Charlie should return, why is it you think a similar setup cannot work between Harry, Charlie, Gov and SoJ or even De Koning?

I'd have thought it's just about a perfect mix if our club can get them on the park, to me the negativity seems unjustified.

Midfield supply isnt as good IMHO, TDK will be rucking the majority of the game, Betts was in his prime and I think both Charlie and McGovern need to prove they can stay on the park. I would prefer a couple of fitter options to work with Harry, examples of the type needed are a pair like Jones from Essendon, Georgiades from Port....both can take a mark, both kick well for goal and are a bit different to Harry.
Both players not there yet as fully developed but are on their way and more reliable options to stay on the park....if Charlie has a miracle and can stay on the park then he is the man to help Harry take us forward but I think we need other options.
The VFL teams best KP Forward is a journeyman midfielder....McGovern IMO is better suited down back and it might help his injury issues. JSOS is a hard working utility but is still a Jack of all trades but master of none and while I still want him in my 22 as that utility to plug holes I would prefer a classier option down forward who is a better converter.