Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 4940 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 4 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #105
I put losses into three different categories.

The first category covers losses such as  a very tight game where the the bounce of the ball, a lucky kick by the opposition, or similarly a bad umpiring decision etc, decides the result.

The second category covers losses where, despite our best efforts, we are beaten by a better side on the day.

I have no trouble accepting losses in these categories when they occur and accept them as being where we are at that stage.

It's the third category of losses that I find unacceptable - the games where we should be competitive but lose in humiliating circumstances because the players, for some undisclosed reason, are not switched on and fall in a heap: these are the types of losses we have had to put up with so many times this century.

When our losses begin to fall into the first 2 categories I believe contributors will be more acceptable of those losses and will not fire from the hip so often, figuratively speaking.

I like this but the second two categories are a bit subjective.  If GC happen to kick on and play finals how does that loss look?

Gc also had a good day and beat us at our strong point.  So id be more inclined to mark that one down as being beaten on a better side on the day. 

Honest question.  Not expecting them to necessarily do it, but there is another.  An aberration.   In 1995 the best Carlton side I've ever seen put 2 weeks together that were inexplicably bad.  They turned out to be irrelevant matches in context of the seasons body of work, but had they not occurred there is no telling whether or not the rest of the season would have been what it was.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #106
Think it was more who we lost against was what riled a lot of supporters...GC are crape, if that had been Melbourne most would have just said yep we have improved but are still short of the top teams and moved on but when you lose to a team devoid of real star power, coached by a battler like Stuey Dew clinging to his job and have a few of your players on big money not turning up or putting in short steps it takes you back to the dim past. Probably the signs were there after the Hawthorn game that we were nose diving and just fell over the line vs a rookie coach and a team of kids and old fellas. As Stkilda showed the Hawks are a very average team and its really been two weeks in a row we have struggled after a honeymoon start.
We should be clear cut favorites vs a very weak Port team who travel poorly but none of us know what Carlton will turn up....Lord Lucifer has every right IMO to question what was a pathetic display vs GC imho.

As Elwood alluded to, we could just as easily be 2-2, not 3-1.  That sure colours my thinking.  We were little short of atrocious against GC and our new season honeymoon needs a reality check. 

Reply #107
Townsend....maybe we all got a bit carried away with the 3-0 start. Glass half empty and it could've been 0-4. Had to come from nearly 4 goals back to beat Richmond, withstood a second half onslaught from the Dogs after leading comfortably and nearly lost it against the Hawks after playing, arguably, our best quarter of footy in many years. 3-1 is way better than most of us had thought possible...most of us thought 4-0 in the lead up to last week.....but with a stroke of (bad) luck, we'd be staring down the barrel of 0-4 and Voss would've been really feeling the heat.

As others have commented, best way to deal with it is beat a struggling Port this week....simple as that. Drop this one and questions will be asked for sure.

Reply #108
Win 3 lose 1.   Some of our contributors forget to make comments after the 3 wins, but shoot with both barrels when we have an inevitable loss. Believe it or not, we WILL lose at least 8 matches this year, some will hurt more than others but that  is where we are at this stage of our development. Enjoy the ride, celebrate the wins, trust the coaches, support the players, reflect on the defeats....and aim for a top 8 finish. OR we can bag the cr@p out of the place every time we hit a hurdle. I'll back the former.

I'm not upset we lost Townie, its the manner in which we lost that really grinds my gears.

Our players never gave a yelp all game, no-one wanted to do any of the hard work they had in previous weeks.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #109
Martin and Fisher survive.....

Plownan and Boyd pay the price (FARK)

Parks in the starting 18 (good)