Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 4938 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 4 2022 Post Game Permutations Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #15
Just watched the Presser.

Vossy spent 7 minutes saying nothing....

Should run for the National Party

Crippa hopefully not to bad so you just know he will be out for 4-6 weeks.

Apparently he has a a bad neck. Carrying 22 players for the last 3 weeks..  O0

Reply #16
I don't know how Fisher and Martin get games at the moment EB.  Martin just doesn't do enough for mind,  promised much,  delivered very little.   Don't know why he always gets rushed back,  needs to start earning his place
Was a fan of Fisher  Prof but he isn't doing enough and Martins form since arrival has mirrored his time at Gold Coast.
Either injured or playing the odd good game but too many poor ones in-between.
Like his talent but he just doesn't deliver bang for buck..if Josh Honey was available I would have him in for Martin.
Dow deserves an opportunity with Cripps now injured and Stocker in for Boyd who is as trier but not a real close checking enough  defender.
Fisher and Setterfield both could be replaced also by a returning Durdin and Cottrell who has shown some form in the Magoo's.

Reply #17
Agreed.  We desperately missed McGovern’s closing speed and distribution.
Indeed. McGovern adds that something that our defence often lacks; the ability to do the unexpected. His closing speed and kicking depth, and his ability to attack as well as defend, makes him someone we really miss when he's not there.
Funny, how things can change.

Kennedy was also woeful today and if he wants to be taken seriously his best and worst can’t be that far apart.
Indeed, this was a game where Kennedy needed to stand up and he didn't. That hurts him big time.

Our work rate and positioning on transition wasn’t up to it again, so Voss has got his work cut out.
Can't argue with that either. We do need a plan B, and probably a Plan C. Plan A is pretty good, but it is dependent on midfield dominance, which we didn't have today.

I hate talking about Kane Cornes, as he is usually an idiot. However, he finally came out with something that almost gave him credibility: tagging. We don't do enough of it. We haven't for a long time. Opposition mids used to prepare for a lean day when they played us: they got tagged into oblivion. But we haven't done this job well for many years. Ed Curnow was once a master, but our last two coaches didn't use him that way. This is an area we need to explore badly!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
Welcome to Carlton Vossy. That was bound to happen. Not gonna bother singling out anyone as they were all pretty bad IMO (for the amount I saw, I turned it off just after half time). We'll give Port the lift they so badly need next week, nothing surer.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #19
Too many structural issues today, was never confident on this one.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #20
Cerra needs to contest better, pulled up short with the oncoming player think it was Weller and it's not good enough.

Saw that and thought at the time it was a poor effort.
It was kind of the tone for the day though...that hesitancy.
They wanted the ball more and attacked it better.

Reply #21
I was a radio spectator again today. There were long periods where bugger all Carlton names were mentioned. I didn’t hear Plowmans name at all. Fisher, Fogarty, Cerra, Martin, Kennedy (?tag) Owies….. weren’t far behind.

Well I hope Adam Cooney got a reality check pfft…

Next week will be a real test of resilience. Port usually make us look amateurish. Although that’s particularly in SA. Hopefully being at home gives us an edge.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #22
Having watched the VFL game prior to the shambolic effort of the seniors, I would suggest there could be several changes this week (if the selectors are worth their salt) and hopefully we welcome back Pitt and Durdin. Just a shocking effort today. Don't think I've dropped the "F" bomb during a game so much for a long time. Too many mistakes to mention. I would have rather have somehow got across the line today and drop next week against Port.

Reply #23
Massive step back to reality today. Several holes in the list which showed up today again and losing like that against what i think will be a bottom 4 team is a trait i was starting to think we are over. Obviously not!

Midfield was not desperate enough and defensively lazy and then to top it off we were sloppy with ball in hand. Forwards missed getable shots and blokes like Fisher, Martin, Setterfield just don't do enough to warrant their place in the team. I was so frustrated seeing Fisher run so hard in junk time and improve his stats - yet has no impact when the game is on. Setterfield lopes around with no urgency - this bloke is not at AFL standard and should be in the 2s.  If it wasn't for Doc and Saad today this would have been and absolute hammering.  McGovern is missed more then many think - Yes he is a glass man but when he is on the ground we are a better team and much better balanced defensively. If only his body could hold up for more then a few weeks in a row.  Time for Dow Stocker and Kemp to be given a decent run of games.

The club said they wanted respect from the footy world this year, well today was a backward step in that department too. Its a long season but next few weeks are massive for our season IMO.

Reply #24
Walsh is not running anywhere like it used too. I really hope we are not risking him.

Kennedy was horrible with the ball and even when the heat came off in the last he still coughed it up time and time again.

Williams i like but if you are going to be a accumulator then you just have to be clean - he shanked too many for my liking.  

Newman was undisciplined and too loose.

Really very few won their position when you really look at it.   

Reply #25
Was a fan of Fisher but he isn't doing enough and Martins form since arrival has mirrored his time at Gold Coast.
Either injured or playing the odd good game but too many poor ones in-between.
Like his talent but he just doesn't deliver bang for buck..if Josh Honey was available I would have him in for Martin.
Dow deserves an opportunity with Cripps now injured and Stocker in for Boyd who is as trier but not a real close checking enough  defender.
Fisher and Setterfield both could be replaced also by a returning Durdin and Cottrell who has shown some form in the Magoo's.

Martin played well year 1 when he was getting near a front ended million bucks. Last 2 years, when he wage dropped he hasn't worked as hard.

Reply #26
@shawny
“Really very few won their position when you really look at it”

No team will or should, trouble the opposition playing that way.

We were sleep walking q1 and never woke up for more than 5minute spurts. I was hoping that was part of our history. Seems not.

2’s were solid again. At least that gives me a little hope that pressure will elevate performances. Dow went off early and didn’t return. Hope he’s not injured 🤞🏼
Henry Ford.

Reply #27
Martin played well year 1 when he was getting near a front ended million bucks. Last 2 years, when he wage dropped he hasn't worked as hard.

Back to the VFL then
Henry Ford.

Reply #28
Well, that was a reality check today.

If my memory serves me correctly, except for short periods  early in Kreuzer's career, we have not had a ruckman who could dominate a game since Madden retired in 1996.

This year has shown that an average ruckman such as Pittonet, or a "make believe" ruckman such as TDK or a "make do" ruckman such as Silvagni leave our supposedly good midfield exposed and found wanting when confronted by an average mid field and a dominant ruckman.

Today, like so many days in past seasons, as soon as our mid field struggles our defence can't handle the pressure, any system goes out the window, foot skills disappear, poor decision making becomes the standard, and we are well beaten.

Until we get a ruckman who can match it with the likes of Gawn etc, and give our mid field first use of the ball we are just dreaming about having a real impact on the top 4 spots.

Reply #29
I saw the end result and didn’t see the game. Looks like it was ugly and the coach has some work to do. I hope the side didn’t lose it between the ears. I hope complacency didn’t give them hope before the first bounce.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.