Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 14 2023 Post Game Passion Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 4523 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 14 2023 Post Game Passion Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #105
Martin, Marchbank and Cuningham should all be on that list but probably wont be for different reasons ie Martin contracted.
Plus Im not sold on Boyd or Cottrell either and C. Durdin needs a good 2024 to survive.

The point of that list was to show there is no shortage of players who can be moved on (while keeping all the players you mentioned)

The difference Martin has given the side (in 2x 3/4's only) as well as Cunners for 1 game is ridiculous. We look so much better with them in it. I've been calling for their inclusions, even when only half fit, for a long time for that very reason, but the difference they have made has even surprised me.
Marchbank could slot in effortlessly next to Weiters and Kemp....and you could even  keep McGovern in the side as well as a swing option, and it would make a big difference to our backline. All of those talls could play loose if matchups allow it, giving us great versatility to combat any combination that gets thrown at us.

Boyd, Cottrell and C. Durdin are not setting the world on fire and could easily get replaced long term. But right now, they are best 30 players, so its the players below them you move on first.

Reply #106
The point of that list was to show there is no shortage of players who can be moved on (while keeping all the players you mentioned)

The difference Martin has given the side (in 2x 3/4's only) as well as Cunners for 1 game is ridiculous. We look so much better with them in it. I've been calling for their inclusions, even when only half fit, for a long time for that very reason, but the difference they have made has even surprised me.
Marchbank could slot in effortlessly next to Weiters and Kemp....and you could even  keep McGovern in the side as well as a swing option, and it would make a big difference to our backline. All of those talls could play loose if matchups allow it, giving us great versatility to combat any combination that gets thrown at us.

Boyd, Cottrell and C. Durdin are not setting the world on fire and could easily get replaced long term. But right now, they are best 30 players, so its the players below them you move on first.
Marchbank is way too slow these days and we probably dont need another intercept marking defender plus we have Kemp and McGovern who really play the same position. What we really need is a taller KP defender to take over from Young who cant handle the big gorillas. As you know Im not sold at all on Martin and never have been, thought he was poor vs Ess and GC were an easy kill and he is going to have to show a lot more between now and seasons end to convince me otherwise as I have explained on other threads, same with Cuningham. I realise you cant shift 10-15 players in one season and its more likely to be 7-10 max so some will get a reprieve due to others being first in line...

Reply #107
People read the criticism I post about Motlop or Durdin and assume it's anti-Motlop / Durdin, but it's clear the price the team pays playing both Durdin and Motlop as AFL beginners!

Put Cunningham and Martin in and all of a sudden you gain some reliable decision making, some composure and also some commitment, now all we need is physical reliability from them and all will be good.

None of the above means in any way that Motlop and Durdin won't be good in the future, it's just about making sure they do the correct apprenticeship and are ready for AFL when they get the next chance!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #108
Small durdin is a good prospect.  He is having a bit of a form slump.   Motlop is the same as he was last year.  Flashes in and out of games.

Biggest issue from both is that they are currently getting where the ball isn't.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #109
Cincotta is a big plus, the more I see of him the more he reminds me of a young Heath Scotland.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110
Small durdin is a good prospect.  He is having a bit of a form slump.   Motlop is the same as he was last year.  Flashes in and out of games.

Biggest issue from both is that they are currently getting where the ball isn't.

Motlop has shown, in bursts, that he will come along nicely. Small Durds worries me. Even at his best, there seems to be long periods in games where he's invisible... or as you put it, 3 Leos, gets where the ball aint.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #111
Motlop has shown, in bursts, that he will come along nicely. Small Durds worries me. Even at his best, there seems to be long periods in games where he's invisible... or as you put it, 3 Leos, gets where the ball aint.
I think Durds was playing impeded by injury, I rate him higher than Motlop.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time