Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 14 2023 Post Game Passion Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 4525 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 14 2023 Post Game Passion Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #30
In addition to all the other positives, no injuries. Yes, you read that right. Jack Martin, Cuningham, Kemp, McGovern all unscathed.

This match is going straight to the pool room.

Reply #31
In addition to all the other positives, no injuries. Yes, you read that right. Jack Martin, Cuningham, Kemp, McGovern all unscathed.

This match is going straight to the pool room.
Add to that, a positive tape to review after 6 nightmare ones. I wouldn't underestimate what effect that could have.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
Add to that, a positive tape to review after 6 nightmare ones. I wouldn't underestimate what effect that could have.

Yep
They coaches have probably been highlighting things the players have been doing well in previous matches.
This game they'll be able to highlight the 'results' when things are done well. ;)  ;D

Reply #33
Who were those players out there today and what have they done with the real Carlton side. I shake my head with exasperation. It is so easy. Make a contest, don't give up, keep trying, tackle hard, kick to your team mates and kick goals. There are a few things we have done differently. We picked a couple of players with pace in Cuningham, Fogarty and Dow. I would still like to see Fisher in the side particularly coming out of defence which he doing in the VFL. I thought we competed well in the ruck negating Witts to a certain degree. Witts was definitely shepherding in the ruck, blocking the run of TDK and Pittonett and getting away with it, umpires do not understand ruck work, but I thought we managed the hit outs well even though we were beaten in the count and I thought our guys directed the ball effectively when they got their hands on it. This also helped us in the clearances particularly after quarter time. There was a distinct advantage towards the main scoreboard end with Carlton kicking 14 of 18 goals down that end and Gold Coast kicking 5 of 8. I also noticed Martin stayed deep in the forward line which meant we had someone to crumb the ball when it was kick long to Harry, Charlie and TDK and also meant the ball wasn't boomeranging out of our forward line quite as easily. All in all it was a very even performance with one quarter of brilliance. Finally the gloom lifted.

Reply #34
Is expecting the same against hawks unrealistic?

Reply #35
I'm still in shock with that 2nd qtr. The skills, the run, the dare, the conversion. Never saw this coming at qtr time. Rarely see turnarounds like that.

Reply #36
Bad news for Lewis Young with the back line of Weitering, McGovern, Kemp looking far more reliable. 

Reply #37
Bad news for Lewis Young with the back line of Weitering, McGovern, Kemp looking far more reliable.
I'm not sure we looked better on the very last line, Young's size can bring something to contests with the likes of King, especially if Young's the 3rd man up, but pretty much everywhere else and in all other circumstances the extra run and coverage was far better, nobody was a spectator.

If we play against the Cats, with two mobile strong KPFs and two strong mobile attacking rucks, a Young type in good form could still be useful.

I think todays D50 setup would have been very useful against the Filth.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
Centre Clearances 19 - 7 (Cerra Cripps Kennedy), nuff said.

That and the direct kicking from those clearances to take advantage of the 6/6/6 restriction and give our forwards a chance.

Also, it is much easier when there is space and much less pressure - and still there were some unpressured turnovers.

Reply #39
He needs to talk to Paddy Dow about working your ass off to get back into the 1s. The smile on Paddys face the last two weeks has been a breath of fresh air.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #40

Also, it is much easier when there is space and much less pressure - and still there were some unpressured turnovers.
This. There was hardly any pressure Altho in saying that we were not fking around with it, we got it and moved it on immediately. No stopping, propping, looking around - it was bang bang bang.

So maybe it’s half half, half we weren’t severely pressured because of the opposition but also half we didn’t put ourselves in the position of being constantly pressured by moving it on quickly.

Reply #41
Warmed the cockles to see that tackle pressure... gang tackles... fair-dinkum stuff. Loved it. The defensive pressure was first rate.

When we got the aggott... dare, risk and run. Loved it. Amazing how quick you look as a side when you put speed on the pill.

As previously mentioned, the MC got it right - no passengers. Strong points of difference. Cunners and Martin running around the forward line add much needed class. Fog fitted in beautifully.

The backline was as mean a cat shyte. Kemp cemented a deserved place. Boyd coming along nicely. Cincotta is becoming a cult hero. Plenty of mongrel among our defenders as well - love it.

Love the spread of goal kickers. A truly dangerous forward line and midfield - all like a snag.

Welcome back, Crippa - champ. Cerra led the charge from the onset - class act.

Leadership + discipline = confidence. Now for more of the same against the Dawks.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #42
I'm sitting there on the half-forward flank after an insipid first quarter, and I though to myself "What the hell was that....?"

I'm in the same spot 30 minutes later, and I'm thinking "What the hell was THAT?!!""

They say a week's a long time in footy, but 30 minutes?

Let's hope the lessons stay learned.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #43
Suns were in good form. Pre game they were showing that they were top 4 in centre clearances and scoring. We were bottom 4 in the same categories.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #44
GC have an 18% winning percentage away from home. Bookies had us as favourites even with our horrible form.
A bit of perspective along with the hysteria of winning needed imho.
We had way more possessions but only a few more inside 50s so we are still fecking around with the  ball too much and both teams were down on contested and uncontested possession averages.
I want to see way more evidence that we are competitive vs decent teams before we award the likes of Boyd, Martin etc accolades like some want to do based on one game vs a team that away from home are one level up from West Coast...