Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 20 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 4402 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 20 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #30
Whilst I believe we’ll go on with it, we really do need to win next week to make this week count.

Amazing game. Could not be prouder.

BT or, as we refer to him at home ‘hindsight Hodge’ said - Collingwood had a 6 day interstate wet turnaround - does that matter? We missed Cerra after halftime, Walsh and JSOS entire game 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reply #31
WOW! I didn't see that coming to be honest.
You and me, too. I was expecting a loss. But we were excellent.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #32
I have to join the list of those that didn’t see this result coming. Not getting a chance to watch the game, doesn’t allow me to judge where we are at the moment. Based on the end result are we capable of beating any team going forward. 2 big scalps. Port and Collingwood. Is there a mathematical chance to finish top 4?
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #33
Geez i thought Pitto battled hard all night.

Yep, Marchbank looked rusty but still reckon we line up better with him out there.

Blokes like Cornes taking pot shots at Charlie for the easy goals against West Coast...well, 6 against the bloke pencilled in for AA full back should put him back in his box.

Take out the first 10 minutes where we looked a bit shell shocked, and we looked every bit a top 8 side...missing H, SOS, Walsh and Kennedy and then losing Cerra who was BOG at that point......against a full strength, top of the table side, missing only Hill.

Acres again proving a few pundits wrong, especially in that first quarter when the pressure was really on. That'll be the 3rd round draft pick to measure going forward.

Motlop/Owies combo again showed what theyre capable of.

A damn good way to start the weekend.

Reply #34
How farken good is that. Top team, MCG, Friday Night, prime time big stage and the boys delivered!
Go Blues
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #35
Geez i thought Pitto battled hard all night.
When Marc came back last year, he also struggled a bit. he is better for having games under his belt and having confidence in his knees. Neither are the case at the moment, but, you're 100% right, Marc worked like a trojan! As for the frees at the hitouts, I was most unimpressed. They block and shepherd and it is play on. We think of doing it, and we get a free against us. That was difficult to swallow.

Yep, Marchbank looked rusty but still reckon we line up better with him out there.
Marchbank took some really clutch marks today, but he is still very much from his best. His decision making will improve. But I'd really like to see him punch more. He needs game into him, the more the better. Making a good matchup for him isn't going to be easy: he isn't a strong player, nor is his very physical. Can he find a spot if we make it to September? Good question. But by then he should have enough games behind to be able to tell.

Blokes like Cornes taking pot shots at Charlie for the easy goals against West Coast...well, 6 against the bloke pencilled in for AA full back should put him back in his box.
Don't bother listening to Cornes: the guy is an idiot. Charlie hasn't been playing that well this year and he still leads the Coleman. His last couple of weeks have been superb, but he's had some quiet ones. If he can keep this form up ...

Take out the first 10 minutes where we looked a bit shell shocked, and we looked every bit a top 8 side...missing H, SOS, Walsh and Kennedy and then losing Cerra who was BOG at that point......against a full strength, top of the table side, missing only Hill.
Indeed. We were missing a number of guys from our best lineup, they had 2 injuries (other than Hill) and neither of them is a likely starter. That makes our win all the sweeter. But that first 10 minutes was ordinary. We can't allow sides many of those.

Acres again proving a few pundits wrong, especially in that first quarter when the pressure was really on. That'll be the 3rd round draft pick to measure going forward.
Acres was brilliant early. Probably 2nd only to Cerra in the first half. However, he has a tendency of doing that. His starts are usually better than his finishes. But he really showed his worth tonight. Very happy with the way he is playing.

Motlop/Owies combo again showed what they're capable of.
Really good contributions from our small forwards. Martin played probably his 2nd best ever game for us and was dangerous. All of them provided defensive pressure that simply wasn't happening 7 weeks ago.

A damn good way to start the weekend.
Indeed.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #36
I think TDK is much better as the solo ruck, with a SOS/Young sidekick. He’s been incredible over the past few weeks with Pitto out. Sadly both ruckmen are at their best when they’re flying solo. Personally I prefer TDK over Pitto.

There were so many team players tonight though, which cut some slack for the very small minority that didn’t have a great game. The stats haven’t done a few blokes justice too. I thought the likes of Fogarty and Kemp were really instrumental in parts of the game, despite not having much of it.

All in all though, this was one of the most satisfying win in years. We play like that for the rest of the year….ANYTHING is possible 🏆

Reply #37
Did you put a cool mill on us? 🤣

Sadly not. It was for my tipping competition where prizes are somewhat more modest. Enjoyed it though.  O:-)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #38
Great win but I think the standout for me in the form turnaround has been Luke Sayers telling the Mathieson’s to pi55 off after being an embarrassment to the club in the rooms after our lowest form. Since those poker machine blackmailers couldn’t get there way and immediately sack Voss we have gone from strength to strength  in solidarity. You could see in the rooms tonight we are a club again united with some belief. From the top down to the boot studded we are a team.

Reply #39
I'd be cutting Marchbank a bit of slack before cutting him completely.
He looked like a player who hadn't played for a while, and maybe wouldn't have, had we not had the injury concerns.
Some of his decision making and timing was at VFL level and he needs a couple of games to get reaccustomed to the speed and pressure of the senior game.

Reply #40
Really liking the forward line.
Charlie's 6
Martin seems to be impacting more with each game...and he doesn't need much to impact.
...and I thought Owies and Motlop worked really well together.

McKay has to play when he's fit, but we need to work a way to keep that full forward line a bit open.
I'm not sure where Durdin fits in.

Reply #41
Whilst I believe we’ll go on with it, we really do need to win next week to make this week count.

Amazing game. Could not be prouder.

BT or, as we refer to him at home ‘hindsight Hodge’ said - Collingwood had a 6 day interstate wet turnaround - does that matter? We missed Cerra after halftime, Walsh and JSOS entire game 🤷🏻‍♀️
It was a short flight to Adelaide? :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #42
Great win despite the umpires gifting the Filth some crazy decisions which led to goals.
King Charles needs to get his head ripped off to get a free.
Watched it with a Power supporter and he couldn't believe how hard done by we were by the umps.
I said welcome to my world.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #43
Pitto and TDK will be fine, the big blokes need to string games together.

Cameron, Cox and if needed McStay are serious opposition.

It's the idea that we have to always choose one or the other that is a bit flawed, it's as crazy as the debate about "Harry or Charlie" like choosing one of the other makes sense, ..... it's called media dribble! Voss took the piss out of it in the presser.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
Really liking the forward line.
Charlie's 6
Martin seems to be impacting more with each game...and he doesn't need much to impact.
...and I thought Owies and Motlop worked really well together.

McKay has to play when he's fit, but we need to work a way to keep that full forward line a bit open.
I'm not sure where Durdin fits in.

Charlies angels?