Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Rd 19: Northern Blues vs Coburg (Read 7551 times) previous topic - next topic

2018 VFL Rd 19: Northern Blues vs Coburg

The Battle of Bell St.

NORTHERN BLUES v. COBURG
Round 19 – 11/08/2018  1400
Preston City Oval

Northern Blues

B: 7. M. Blakey, 25. K. Keppel, 28. H. Macreadie
HB: 29. J. Hill, 13. C. O’Shea, 45. M. Shaw
C: 21. S.  Kerridge, 32. N.  Graham, 51. A.  Mullett
HF: 15. L. Casboult, 17. M. Kreuzer, 54. J. Garlett
F: 3. J. Palmer, 30. P. Kerr, 26. J. Silvagni
R: 36. M. Lobbe, 1. T. Wilson, 9. S. Fisher
Int: 5. T. De Koning, 11. A. Federico, 43. J. Glass-McCasker, 14. J. Lynch, 22. C. McCabe, 56. C. McDaid, 27. A. Milham, 12. B. Myers, 49. A. Schumacher, 35. M. Stavrou, 6. G. Strachan, 16. J. Velissaris

23P: 47. B. Hurley

In: T. Wilson, J. Silvagni, M. Kreuzer, C. O’Shea, S. Kerridge, M. Lobbe, J. Glass-McCasker, N. Graham, C. McDaid
Out: E. Penrith

Wilson is a huge 'In'. Of the 16 Blues named, a maximum of 11 will play. If we actually put this team on the park, we'd be great!

Coburg

B: 2. J. Corigliano, 43. H. Nolan, 15. J. Iacobaccio
HB: 17. L. Dickson, 10. S. Gregory, 36. J. Guthrie
C: 1. B.  Allan, 8. N.  Mellington, 5. R.  Exon
HF: 24. B. Bernacki, 12. P. McEvoy, 23. J. McDonald
F: 37. J. Murphy, 18. S. Lowson, 33. J. Weightman
R: 29. T. Goodwin, 42. M. Lentini, 11. L. Bunker
Int: 9. N. Blair, 32. B. Cannolo, 20. M. Conn, 16. J. Fox, 47. B. Kanakis, 30. J. O’Donoghue, 22. A. Swierzbiolek, 26. L. Watkins

23P: 44. M. Mitchell-Russell

In: J. O’Donoghue, L. Bunker, L. Watkins, J. Fox, M. Mitchell-Russell

Out: H. Kerbatieh
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: 2018 VFL Rd 19: Northern Blues vs Coburg

Reply #1
I rarely missed those games when I was in my teens.  Of course, the VFA was an independent competition and I was a vocal supporter of our local suburban team; the mighty Burgers!

I lived next to the home of the Box Hill Mustangs/Hawks for 30 odd years but any thoughts of changing allegiance withered when the Mustangs became the Hawks.  I now happily support the NBs, except when they play Coburg and, in my mind, the contest is between Coburg and Preston.

Go Blues ... or Coburg  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2
I rarely missed those games when I was in my teens.  Of course, the VFA was an independent competition and I was a vocal supporter of our local suburban team; the mighty Burgers!

I lived next to the home of the Box Hill Mustangs/Hawks for 30 odd years but any thoughts of changing allegiance withered when the Mustangs became the Hawks.  I now happily support the NBs, except when they play Coburg and, in my mind, the contest is between Coburg and Preston.

Lived in the Vermont area for many years before leaving that area about 30 years ago now, living close to the Vermont footy ground and Jacko's car yard. The "Stangas" were a favourite of mine but I could never come to terms with the colours of their jumper.  :o

Have been a Blues fan almost from the day I arrived in Melbourne.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3

I lived in Box Hill Sth but was a Preston fan, never really enjoyed the NB's conversion from Preston and dont like the alliance either.....loved the old VFA and Preston vs Coburg was a battle royal with Harold Martin vs Phil Cleary coaching.....

Reply #4
I lived in Box Hill Sth but was a Preston fan, never really enjoyed the NB's conversion from Preston and dont like the alliance either.....loved the old VFA and Preston vs Coburg was a battle royal with Harold Martin vs Phil Cleary coaching.....

Agreed, I think that the AFL should bring back the reserves and let the VFL stand alone as an alternative path to the TAC Cup, another pathway kids or mature age types who do not make the cut!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5

I played in the same team as Phil from under 15s until he skipped under 19s and played seniors with Coburg Ammos before signing with Coburg in the VFA.  I was having a jar or two with my best mate at the footy on Sunday and he mentioned feeling just a little sad that his local team - Strathmore - had pumped West Coburg with Phil's two boys playing.

Agreed, I think that the AFL should bring back the reserves and let the VFL stand alone as an alternative path to the TAC Cup, another pathway kids or mature age types who do not make the cut!

Do you remember Rod Galt's cartoon about the huge VFL pig taking over the VFA piglet's Sunday timeslot?  A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then but I think Rod's premise was correct.  The AFL should have a genuine reserves competition that is separate from the VFL.  Apart from providing an alternative path to the AFL, the separation of the VFL and AFL would eliminate the crazy second tier fixture with its plethora of byes.  Blokes pressing for AFL selection need to be given every chance to make it.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
I'd actually like to see an AFL Under 19s competition as well.
The draft could be for VFL/State League and any U/19s not happy with their club pathway.
The cost could be subsidised by the AFL, who aren't short a quid.

North built their strong teams of the 1990s off the back of a group of kids who'd been together since their U/19 days.

Reply #7
So did we.   Sexton,  Ratten,  Kouta, Allan,  Brown all came from the last of the U19s.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #8
Apart from providing an alternative path to the AFL, the separation of the VFL and AFL would eliminate the crazy second tier fixture with its plethora of byes.  Blokes pressing for AFL selection need to be given every chance to make it.

In some respects VAFA Premier is now superior to VFL, the VAFA is very powerful and has a lot of AFL support.

Too many old boys in the system, the VFL got eroded from both sides! VAFA, playing for free, yeah right!!!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
Never underestimate the power and influence of old money and the old school tie.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #10
I'd actually like to see an AFL Under 19s competition as well.
The draft could be for VFL/State League and any U/19s not happy with their club pathway.
The cost could be subsidised by the AFL, who aren't short a quid.

North built their strong teams of the 1990s off the back of a group of kids who'd been together since their U/19 days.

Amen, surely the $$ are irelevant?

The AFL does more to shoot itself in the foot than any competing code could ever dream of....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #11
Blues up at quarter time and just got another goal. Three goals to Mullett!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #12
Six goals up midway through the 2nd quarter:
Northern Blues 49
Coburg 13
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #13
From my lips to God's ears. Coburg kick 2 quick goals.  >:(
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
Lead cut down to 3 goals not long before half time.
Live Long and Prosper!