Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 15: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 36906 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 15: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #195
These past and present comparisons are fraught with danger, the game has changed so much since 2010 it's almost like watching a different sport! So, I'm not sure there is a great relevance to these comparisons.

None at all, especially when comparing a top team against a bottom team.
It has zero relevance

Reply #196
Historical comparisons give pause for thought, cut through all sorts of myth making and pointless platitudes, and help ensure that past mistakes are not repeated. How much of this site is historical comparison, of coaches, players, teams, supporters ?

One day I might retire to a sanitarium in the Pyrenees and take up bilboquet, but not today.

Reply #197

Bolton has sacrificed our attacking game in order to shore up the defense. That sacrifice has occurred both in terms of recruiting and also in terms of game plan, which essentially revolves around flooding, spare man back, parking the bus etc. This mitigates against any real attacking moves, and is one reason why we get run over in final quarters - players are too stuffed playing a taxing game plan. Of course, the relative youth of some of our troops plays a part as well. I expect that as they get older and more experienced, the last quarter fade outs will hopefully cease.

The point I make is completely valid - you can't pot one coach for being poor defensively, when his record is more than comparable to that of a defense first coach.

you seem to neglect available cattle to the respective coaches. Bolton coaches to the lists strengths. If He didnt play with spinners off half back, we'd be annihilated .
Like i said, to be fair. Bolton doesn't  have the talent of waite, betts and garlett at his disposal. Even only Betts in today's line up would have us entrenched in the 8. Im not worried, as i believe it will come and when it does, it will be sustained

Reply #198
you seem to neglect available cattle to the respective coaches. Bolton coaches to the lists strengths. If He didnt play with spinners off half back, we'd be annihilated .
Like i said, to be fair. Bolton doesn't  have the talent of waite, betts and garlett at his disposal. Even only Betts in today's line up would have us entrenched in the 8. Im not worried, as i believe it will come and when it does, it will be sustained

Spinners or Spitters?
I think its the latter.

Reply #199

We are 2nd last for forward entries last time I checked......Betts, Jeffy and Waite would be going cold waiting for the ball...
Our midfield is a tad overrated...

Reply #200
We are 2nd last for forward entries last time I checked......Betts, Jeffy and Waite would be going cold waiting for the ball...

At this writing, we're equal last with Brisvegas for I50's, and 9th for conceded I50's.

Reply #201

I think we would all agree that cattle does play a part - but from what I can tell, there's more to it than that.

Reply #202
Whilst I was looking at the stats, a few others that piqued my interest :

1st for kicks
last for handballs
2nd for marks
6th for tackles
last for goals
last for behinds
1st for clangers (i.e the least in the comp)

Reply #203

It's funny - I'd say Kreuzer and Gibbs are almost on AA pace and Cripps is going well. Murphy isn't going badly either.

So how is our midfield so underpowered? I guess you've got to look at the depth midfielders and the wings and flanks where we're definitely light on for real top end quality.

Reply #204
It's funny - I'd say Kreuzer and Gibbs are almost on AA pace and Cripps is going well. Murphy isn't going badly either.

So how is our midfield so underpowered? I guess you've got to look at the depth midfielders and the wings and flanks where we're definitely light on for real top end quality.

Our midfield gets plenty of the footy but the question would be where do they get the footy? and one of our major problems is the amount of ball the opposition mids are getting...
Ed Curnow aside we dont really man up the opposing mids very well...the Crouch boys had the ball 20 plus times between them in the last quarter vs the Crows..
No use our blokes getting 30 possies a game when the opposition are doing the same and using it better.....

Reply #205

Kreuzer, Murphy, Gibbs and Cripps are right up there and Ed Curnow is pretty good.  However, the quality drops away after that.  When the second tier midfielders/small forwards struggle to get 40 possessions between them, the added pressure on our first tier players is enormous.  I think that many folk fail to appreciate how hard Murphy, Gibbs and Cripps have to work, and it would be an awful lot harder without Kreuzer's second and third efforts.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #206
Kreuzer, Murphy, Gibbs and Cripps are right up there and Ed Curnow is pretty good.  However, the quality drops away after that.  When the second tier midfielders/small forwards struggle to get 40 possessions between them, the added pressure on our first tier players is enormous.  I think that many folk fail to appreciate how hard Murphy, Gibbs and Cripps have to work, and it would be an awful lot harder without Kreuzer's second and third efforts.

Spot on DJC.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.