Skip to main content
Topic: RD 18 : Blues Scorch Suns (Post-Siren Sunburn)  (Read 26694 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 18 : Blues Scorch Suns (Post-Siren Sunburn)

Reply #15
Rowe was very unconvincing today.
He has no second effort, and if not on his terms, sometimes even no first effort.
Can take a mark when he wants, but he is a bit too stand offish for mine.

Bottom line....

If Warnock's fit and available Rowe doesn't play.

Not for me...I'm still sticking with Rowe, we need a second ruckman but one who can take a mark and give us some options....Warnock is still a lampost who can only play ruck.
Rowe wasnt great today, didnt take enough marks or get involved enough but i think we have to get away from rotating our KP/rucks when they have a ordinary game or two.
You have to build confidence to build a structure and I think Rowe has to be educated and given a chance to settle.......if you did drop Rowe then I reckon it has to be Casboult who comes in...at least he can play more than one position. I dont see Warnock as an option unless Kruezer gets hurt.

re: Waite...happy to have him back in the team but he isnt a ruckman and you still need a backup for Kruezer wether it be Rowe or Casboult.

Totally agree. You'd reckon if Meat puts in a good one tomorrow for the NBs, he'll come in for Rowe. I would also persist with Rowe. Sheesh, his body would still be recovering after that few months of chemo last year - that stuff devastates the human body. But after today's game he might need a rest/learn more in the Magoos.

Curnow is blossoming under MM. Disciplined games from Walker and Yazz.

Hendo is rapidly cementing himself as not only a very good tall forward but also as a leader.

Good effort considering neither Juddy or Murph was 'dominant'... both were good and did their job but we didn't rely on both or either to be the difference.

Cachia did more in one quarter of footy than Lucas in three. Question marks over Lucas' hardness rise again - one hit from Brown and he went to water and became the invisible man.

The old bloke shone (Scotto).

Was it my imagination  or did Carrots look a little slow/off/not quite right?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #16
He has no second effort, and if not on his terms, sometimes even no first effort.
Bottom line....

I would also like to disagree with this.

I'd have Rowe in over Warnock.
I'd have Rowe in over Hampson.
I'd have Hampson in over Warnock.

Essentially Warnock is a 1-trick pony and having him in the side reduces the effectiveness of Kreuzer.

Ideally i think you need 6 big men in the side.

You'd want a spine consisting of something like...
Jamison
Watson
Kreuzer
Henderson
Waite

with Hampson/Rowe/Casboult as the utility tall backup ruckman on the bench.

That gives us flexibility as Henderson can cover down back.
Hampson/Rowe/Casboult can cover up forward or in the ruck.

Gives us the option of subbing out a tall late in the game if they are not required and adding more run.

Warnock only gets a game if Kreuzer is out IMO as he needs to be the #1 ruck.

Reply #17
Bottom line....

Essentially Warnock is a 1-trick pony and having him in the side reduces the effectiveness of Kreuzer.

Jamison
Watson
Kreuzer
Henderson
Waite

Gives us the option of subbing out a tall late in the game if they are not required and adding more run.

Rowe and Casboult have "promised" a lot.
...as has Hampson in the past.

All have shown "promise" but......
None have yet proven to be more than just fillers.
Henderson's shown that up in just a couple of games.
I don't think any are a long term answer to that second forward/ruck role.
We need to go shopping ;)

Reply #18

All have shown promise but......

I agree, but neither has Warnock.

Kreuzer up forward isn't much better than the players mentioned above.
Warnock up forward is about as useful as a 3rd goal post.

Warnock in the ruck gives us little improvement to when we have Kreuzer there.

What is the net benefit?

I guess its the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Which is clearly evident when we have been able to utilise Watson in the side who was only average in the 2's.

Reply #19
Rowe may have been down a little today but he has shown he can play and pinch hit in the ruck at a decent level. I can't see any way back for Warnock personally, not while Kreuzer is fit.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #20
Bottom line....

Jamison
Watson
Kreuzer
Henderson
Waite

All have shown "promise" but......
We need to go shopping ;)

Fair point...none have grabbed the opportunity to make the second ruck/forward spot their own but a bloke called Kruezer has made the 1st ruck his own and
been one of our best in recent weeks and I think he has worked well with Rowe regardless of Rowe's output and the team has looked better balanced.
I wouldnt be messing with with Kruezers form by changing Rowe just yet...three wins in a row wouldnt have me fixing something thats isnt broke.

Reply #21
I guess the game isn't on at 7.40 then.

How did our top liners go?

Reply #22
We need to give Casboult more of a chance. He's a fantastic mark and there's something about him that just makes me think he'll come good soon. Remember how frustrating Josh Kennedy was when he was playing for us? We almost have up on McClean and now he's a permanent fixture in the side.

More opportunity is essential for the likes of Casboult, Bell and Buckley.

Reply #23
MM said in his press conference that the boys will be working on their goal kicking this week.

Hmmm you mean we don't do it other weeks?

Just get Jeremy Cameron  :D

Reply #24
Should have won by 10 goals. Bad kicking for goal is b ad footy.good games again by Kreuzer, Henderson and Curnow.

Carrazzo was so bad it was almost unbelievable - cant see how he would keep his game on the back of that performance.

Reply #25
We need to give Casboult more of a chance. He's a fantastic mark and there's something about him that just makes me think he'll come good soon. Remember how frustrating Josh Kennedy was when he was playing for us? We almost have up on McClean and now he's a permanent fixture in the side.

More opportunity is essential for the likes of Casboult, Bell and Buckley.

Agree totally Tom. Casboults only problem is his fitness, he runs out of puff after half time. But he's a 1000% better mark than Rowe and a better ruckman.

I admire Rowe tremendously, but he can't stick a mark and he's far too one dimensional.

Reply #26
Should have won by 10 goals. Bad kicking for goal is b ad footy.good games again by Kreuzer, Henderson and Curnow.

Carrazzo was so bad it was almost unbelievable - cant see how he would keep his game on the back of that performance.

If Tom Bell was fit, he's be in instead of carrots. He really hasn't come back since the calf injury.

Reply #27

Bottom line....

Not for me...I'm still sticking with Rowe, we need a second ruckman but one who can take a mark and give us some options....Warnock is still a lampost who can only play ruck.
Rowe wasnt great today, didnt take enough marks or get involved enough but i think we have to get away from rotating our KP/rucks when they have a ordinary game or two.
You have to build confidence to build a structure and I think Rowe has to be educated and given a chance to settle.......if you did drop Rowe then I reckon it has to be Casboult who comes in...at least he can play more than one position. I dont see Warnock as an option unless Kruezer gets hurt.

re: Waite...happy to have him back in the team but he isnt a ruckman and you still need a backup for Kruezer wether it be Rowe or Casboult.
Rowe has got the nod because he can take a grab (even though he barely had a touch today) and his ruck work isn't bad. Casboult's best is better, but his worse is much worse. Similar to Hampson - when he is at his best, he is a great benefit to the team, but when he is down he is a real liability who turns gold into faeces.
Warnock is still our best tap ruckman, but, while he is trying to improve the other aspects of his game, he hasn't convinced me he has made it yet. I hope he can: 206 cm guys who can run a long time don't grow on trees. However.....
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #28
We all love Sam Rowe. He is not quite good enough, but more than useful.
I think Sam needs games. We might need him in the backline too!
Tell me, how did Mat Watson go? Not many kicks, but good goal.
Is he paying his way, or is he a weak-link-awaiting-proof?
Would be good if he came through !!

Reply #29
I only saw the first quarter and a bit but Rowe got his hands to about 10 potential marks and didn't take one.

How does that happen with a guy who has sticky hands?
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................