Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game -Port v Blues R2 (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm) (Read 23031 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game -Port v Blues R2 (Sat, March 30, 5.10pm)

Reply #165
It sometimes only takes one small bloke to set the standard.
If that pressure is lacking it might just need those one or two pressure acts for the players around to think..."gee if that little fellow can do that maybe I need to pull my socks up."
Maybe the small player's individual efforts don't have a significant impact on the contest but it could be that those efforts are infectious and lift those around him to higher standard in terms of pressure.
The question then becomes..."Is a player worth as spot for that role?"

Yep.

Not to mention the opposition also start wondering if they are going to get clobbered and start to doubt how easy it will go.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #166
I've got a nagging feeling Lang is going to be another dud that Geelong have offloaded onto us (see Smedts).

And said it last year after watching plenty of games that O'Brien played.....pick 10 might be one we look back on as one that bites us on the bum down the track. Only young so have to give him a chance but some of his decision making and skill level last year was terrible yet he continually got games. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we could've had Tim Kelly on a platter at pick 10. The club was into him and genuinely thought he'd be still around the mark when our next pick (around 30ish) was up....think we took TDK with it.

Lots of for/against re Polson but just hope he doesn't turn out like Kerridge or Graham etc.....getting games because there's no one else to pick. Matthew Kennedy needs to get fit and find some form to justify trading him in as support for Cripps.

Reply #167
Matthew Kennedy needs to get fit and find some form to justify trading him in as support for Cripps.

I think Setterfield has taken that role. That's the one we wanted and were surprised we could get. They rated him ahead of SPS in the draft year, very glad we got him now. kennedy looks a bit slow when I have seen him, but to be fair he hasn't had much of a run at it.

Lang will struggle to cement a place for himself, I think SPS, Walsh, Dow, and Setterfield with an improving Cunningham will make it tough. Lang and Kennedy will be fighting it out for that last place. If the aforementioned come on as expected, I can't see Kennedy or Lang as more than depth.

Reply #168
I think Kennedy can be better than that, just needs to get his body right. He did play about 15 games in a very strong GWS team a couple of years ago

Reply #169
I think Setterfield has taken that role. That's the one we wanted and were surprised we could get. They rated him ahead of SPS in the draft year, very glad we got him now. kennedy looks a bit slow when I have seen him, but to be fair he hasn't had much of a run at it.

Lang will struggle to cement a place for himself, I think SPS, Walsh, Dow, and Setterfield with an improving Cunningham will make it tough. Lang and Kennedy will be fighting it out for that last place. If the aforementioned come on as expected, I can't see Kennedy or Lang as more than depth.
Depth is good. Look at the Filth. They need too find room in last nights team for Adams, Hoskin Elliot, Wells and one other (I think) that the names escapes me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #170
Hard to see how Wells gets a game with the lineup they've got now. When they recruited him they wouldn't have factored in getting Beams back. I think we'd like Kennedy to be that bigger bodied midfielder type so that Cripps can go forward from time to time....Setterfield looks more like a taller outside player and showed some good signs last week...reckon he'll be a very good pickup for us.

Reply #171
Depth is good. Look at the Filth. They need too find room in last nights team for Adams, Hoskin Elliot, Wells and one other (I think) that the names escapes me.

Scharenberg, Reid, Broomhead. All handy players.

The upside of having depth is clear. The downside is that you must strike while the iron is hot, because good players who are constantly knocking on the door and not being selected will leave soon enough.

Reply #172
I think Kennedy can be better than that, just needs to get his body right. He did play about 15 games in a very strong GWS team a couple of years ago

He was looking considerable leaner post this preseason....he's another terrier Jack needs to work his magic with....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #173
Take your point but I think Daisy's main problem was being unfit when he arrived and for a while after and thats why many including myself were not in his fan group......obviously when his fitness improved so did his kicking, turn overs etc.
This the reverse of Polson who is fit but lacks skill, nous and is living off pressure applied to defenders(real and/or perceived)...its also a reflection of where we are at with a few other players...Garlett, LeBois, OBrien, and the injured Lang. If I was Lachie Obrien I would be very embarrassed that Polson was getting a game ahead of me given his lack of finesse/skill and its all because Pick 10 Obrien isnt perceived as an effort player IMO....

Reverse, yes and no.

Different problem, kinda.

Daisys problem was he was unfit and injured.
Polsons problem is he isn't AFL fit yet. People forget he's only had a couple pre-seasons and was coming from a long way back as he was a low draft pick to begin with.

When Polsons fitness/body/brain catches up, he'll be a better player.

But, like Daisy, you give effort, you set the standard, you will be rewarded.
Other side of the same coin, if you don't give effort, you can play in the 2's.

Reply #174

Murphy, daisy, Simpson and ed curnow all on borrowed time.  These guys will hang around a while longer yet.

s There's plenty of dead weight to cut through and keep these guys around.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #175

The excuses start to run very thin with Kennedy. He played very poorly in the first practice match and got dropped to the 2s for the JLT then got injured yet again.

He's still young enough and could very easily turn out to be a good player but he's a lot further away from it than he should be right now.

Originally taken with the pick immediately after Charlie Curnow.

But maybe he's a Josh Caddy type finding his feet as an AFL player at 26.