Skip to main content
Topic: Some more thoughts from the 'Pros' (Read 13697 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Some more thoughts from the 'Pros'

Reply #15
There comes a point where you have to put the bar up and say "We're going to jump this!"

We can't keep looking at the coming season each March and be thinking "Well maybe not this year...but next year for sure!"

that's the spirit Lods!

Once it clicks it will click good.  There's plenty of talent with a bit more experience.  Finals is certainly a real possibility.  Might not make it, but must go into this season aiming for them.

Reply #16
that's the spirit Lods!

Once it clicks it will click good.  There's plenty of talent with a bit more experience.  Finals is certainly a real possibility.  Might not make it, but must go into this season aiming for them.

bloody oath. no pro athlete says ok, i'll settle for 18th this year, they say, I want a medal!!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #17
that's the spirit Lods!

Once it clicks it will click good.
There's plenty of talent with a bit more experience.  Finals is certainly a real possibility.  Might not make it, but must go into this season aiming for them.

I subscribe to this theory too.
Said as much for a couple years now.
I still feel like our forward line is lacking, and our midfield needs more experience.

It 'could' be this year, but i'm leaning towards 2019 at the earliest.

Reply #18
Freo were 14th last year with 32 points (8 wins).

The 12th team had 42 points....

48 made the eight on percentage.

we won 6 and lost anoher 6 by 3 goals or less.

Personally, I think we'll easily be a 3 goals a game better team with the new game plan, and new and injured players coming into the fold.

Heck, Paddy Dow could have kicked 4 or 5 alone against the Saints had he not panicked a bit....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #19
When I look at the other teams I simply don't see many dominant standout teams.

Sydney - will always be a good team because of their work ethic, but cracks are apeariong and their engine room doesn't purr as it did a few years back.

Hawks - lost a lot of their guns and a fair bit of their soul imo. Tommy M a ball magnet, but after that O'Meara - well time will tell. Rioli appears sidelined for the time being and their stars are fading.

Cats - of course adding Ablett to the Dangerfield-Selwood duo is a positive but given his hammy issues, when wil his season commence.....any smart oppodition coach will try and run him ragged and tweak the ld hammy again. And recall he had calf issues at GC too....after those three they don't look that flash at all. Taylor all but gone, Lonergand and Mackie gone, Hawkins not what he was.... Hendo the great white hope down back? Good luck with that.

GWS - remain the standout team on paper imo. Lots of injuries last year but they're my flaf favourite, hands down!

Adelaide - lost a flag due to complacency and the Walker-Lever issue. Will be a big threat and Bryce will be the icing, no question.

But all of these teams are very beatable on the day.

The next tier?

Tigers, Dees, Port, Bummers

Will have their good days and their bad days.

Reckon Bummer's midfield is very thin for real quality (and ruck).

Dees - their good is very good, no question.

Tigers - meh, is their style of manic intensity maintainable? Unlikely.

Port - some big additions - who maY OR may not fire, the jury's out. But all flaky types.

Doggies?

Meh.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #20
When I look at the other teams I simply don't see many dominant standout teams.

Sydney - will always be a good team because of their work ethic, but cracks are apeariong and their engine room doesn't purr as it did a few years back.

Hawks - lost a lot of their guns and a fair bit of their soul imo. Tommy M a ball magnet, but after that O'Meara - well time will tell. Rioli appears sidelined for the time being and their stars are fading.

Cats - of course adding Ablett to the Dangerfield-Selwood duo is a positive but given his hammy issues, when wil his season commence.....any smart oppodition coach will try and run him ragged and tweak the ld hammy again. And recall he had calf issues at GC too....after those three they don't look that flash at all. Taylor all but gone, Lonergand and Mackie gone, Hawkins not what he was.... Hendo the great white hope down back? Good luck with that.

GWS - remain the standout team on paper imo. Lots of injuries last year but they're my flaf favourite, hands down!

Adelaide - lost a flag due to complacency and the Walker-Lever issue. Will be a big threat and Bryce will be the icing, no question.

But all of these teams are very beatable on the day.

The next tier?

Tigers, Dees, Port, Bummers

Will have their good days and their bad days.

Reckon Bummer's midfield is very thin for real quality (and ruck).

Dees - their good is very good, no question.

Tigers - meh, is their style of manic intensity maintainable? Unlikely.

Port - some big additions - who maY OR may not fire, the jury's out. But all flaky types.

Doggies?

Meh.

Your desire and ability to downplay the negatives or issues with us, yet simultaneously downplay the positives of other teams, is really quite something. Shades of Steve Jobs' Reality Distortion Field.

Reply #21
wtf?

I wasn't analysing us, just the opposition (briefly). You're as bad as Kruddler, arguably worse after that inane comment....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #22
I'd concentrate on generating wins vs the bottom teams...Brisbane, Freo and North all beat us last season.....Gold Coast was another when Lynch kicked a bag....
Those are teams we need to make sure we win against if we are going anywhere, you add those wins to last years tally and the season looks ok, 2-3 more wins vs teams higher up and you are looking at finals.
We need to make sure we dont get rolled by these bottom teams and establish a dominance over them that we can carry forward so we have a bank of guaranteed wins every season...

Reply #23
I'd concentrate on generating wins vs the bottom teams...Brisbane, Freo and North all beat us last season.....Gold Coast was another when Lynch kicked a bag....
Those are teams we need to make sure we win against if we are going anywhere, you add those wins to last years tally and the season looks ok, 2-3 more wins vs teams higher up and you are looking at finals.
We need to make sure we dont get rolled by these bottom teams and establish a dominance over them that we can carry forward so we have a bank of guaranteed wins every season...

I was thinking much the same. Dropping games we should win is hopefully a thing of the past. But with so much youth, new game plan etc., I'm not sure we're out of the woods yet. And I don't think the kids will go 100% all season, so I'm thinking the 1st half of the season will see better results than the second. Which is what we've seen recently. Sigh............

We play the Suns, Pies, Dogs, Crows and Freo 2x each.

Reply #24
What I would love to see is an accuracy rating next to each pundit. We will quickly learn that although these are fun, they realistically know very little and forecasting results is even worse. I am not talking about us, as we will not doubt be in the bottom half of the ladder, but we really shouldn't take these predictions too seriously.

Reply #25

Absolutely, have to win the 'easy' games....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #26
Bold Blue - should win - 8 wins
italics maroon - likely loss.     6 games
Red - 50/50 ---------   8 games

Round 1 Thursday, March 22
RICH v CARL
Richmond
Carlton   
MCG
7:25PM
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 2 Saturday, March 31
CARL v GCFC
Carlton v
Gold Coast Suns   
ES
1:45PM
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 3 Friday, April 06
CARL v COLL
Carlton v
Collingwood   
MCG
7:50PM
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 4 Saturday, April 14
NMFC v CARL
North Melbourne v
Carlton   
BA
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 5 Saturday, April 21
CARL v WCE
Carlton v
West Coast Eagles   
MCG
4:35PM
AFL Travel
Preview
Round 6 Friday, April 27
WB v CARL
Western Bulldogs v
Carlton   
ES
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 7 Saturday, May 05
ADEL v CARL
Adelaide Crows v
Carlton   
AO
7:10PM
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 8 Saturday, May 12
CARL v ESS
Carlton v
Essendon   
MCG
2:10PM
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 9 Sunday, May 20
CARL v MELB
Carlton v
Melbourne   
MCG
1:10PM
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 10 Saturday, May 26
GEEL v CARL
Geelong Cats v
Carlton   
GS
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 11 Friday, June 01
SYD v CARL
Sydney Swans v
Carlton   
SCG
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 12 BYE
Round 13 Saturday, June 16
CARL v FRE
Carlton v
Fremantle   
ES
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 14 Sunday, June 24
COLL v CARL
Collingwood v
Carlton   
MCG
3:20PM
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 15 Saturday, June 30
CARL v PORT
Carlton v
Port Adelaide   
MCG
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 16 Saturday, July 07
BL v CARL
Brisbane Lions v
Carlton   
G
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 17 Friday, July 13
STK v CARL
St Kilda v
Carlton   

ES
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 18 Sunday, July 22
CARL v HAW
Carlton v
Hawthorn   
ES
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 19 Saturday, July 28
GCFC v CARL
Gold Coast Suns v
Carlton   
MS
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 20 Sunday, August 05
CARL v GWS
Carlton v
GWS Giants   
ES
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 21 Sunday, August 12
FRE v CARL
Fremantle v
Carlton   
OS
2:40PM
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 22 Sunday, August 19
CARL v WB
Carlton v
Western Bulldogs   
ES
Tickets AFL Travel
Preview
Round 23 Friday, August 24
CARL v ADEL
Carlton v
Adelaide Crows   
ES
12:00AM
Preview
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #27
I don't think we are 50/50 with GWS, I doubt anyone will be 50/50 with GWS this season! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
I don't think we are 50/50 with GWS, I doubt anyone will be 50/50 with GWS this season! :o

In Melbourne, maybe nt 50/50 but not a guaranteed loss.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #29
I think the Swans have big problems, their list looks very fragile and to cover the loss of a few talls they have to rob Peter to save Paul elsewhere on the field.

They could struggle a bit for 2018, if they don't it's probably one you can credit the coach for! He'll have to earn his money now!
The Force Awakens!