Skip to main content
Topic: Some more thoughts from the 'Pros' (Read 13666 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Some more thoughts from the 'Pros'

Reply #30
This for me is the game plan year, sure I want more wins like the next bloke but I think if I see our play develop and looks of having a complete game plan are there then I will be content.

The list build or the majority of it is pretty much done in my book, this is the year it has to start looking like its coming together becoming weather tight and moving on from building the structure.

Reply #32
http://www.footyology.com.au/footyology-countdown-boltons-blues-need-to-be-bolder/

Just found this site, although some of you may already know it.
Thanks Paul, have seen this previously & like most in the Media, RoCo is not prepared to go out on a limb and predict the Blues will improve Ladder position, probably fair enough too:-)

Reply #33
Thanks Paul, have seen this previously & like most in the Media, RoCo is not prepared to go out on a limb and predict the Blues will improve Ladder position, probably fair enough too:-)

No, they all err on the side of caution, like many on here I guess.

Even though he supports the (yawn) arch enemy, he's at least tolerable, and I don't mind his articles, as long as you're on the lookout for a few expected biases.

Reply #34
They err on the side of caution and understandably so, with the amount of personnel changes a younger squad, it's u predictable at best. Yes some great signs but would you put your reputation on it? Still think we I'll be higher up than 16 , but one or two key injuries and we will be scrabbling

Reply #37
Bad luck for Goldsack, I do not wish serious injuries on anybody even a filth player, hope he has a smooth and speedy recovery!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-13/season-preview-carlton

Couple of things;

Based on JLT I cannot see McKay playing alongside Curnow and Casboult Rnd 1, it might depend on SpecialK's fitness.

I think it could be smart to try and play SoJ as a defensive forward on Rance, make Rance accountable. Plus SoJ seems to attract the focus of umpires in a good way, Rance won't get away with so much under that focus.

I think Lamb or Garlett(If fit) will be in ahead of Dow, maybe both depending on how we decide to structure up. However, I reserve the right for the MC to play Dow in front of a 90K crowd just to give him a taste!

SPS looked a little underdone in the JLT, he might be in need of some VFL time to confidence up and get back to 100%. Dow could well get a nod ahead of him.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
Couple of things;

Based on JLT I cannot see McKay playing alongside Curnow and Casboult Rnd 1, it might depend on SpecialK's fitness.

I think it could be smart to try and play SoJ as a defensive forward on Rance, make Rance accountable. Plus SoJ seems to attract the focus of umpires in a good way, Rance won't get away with so much under that focus.

I think Lamb or Garlett(If fit) will be in ahead of Dow, maybe both depending on how we decide to structure up. However, I reserve the right for the MC to play Dow in front of a 90K crowd just to give him a taste!

SPS looked a little underdone in the JLT, he might be in need of some VFL time to confidence up and get back to 100%. Dow could well get a nod ahead of him.

SPS still managed 6 disposals and two tackles in a bout a quarter and a half of playing time. Last year showed us that he doesn't need a lot of pre-season time to get ready for the season.

Dow plays ahead of Lamb easily for mine. Lamb shouldn't get a game unless we have substantial injuries. I think there's room for both Garlett and Dow though as Dow will play more through the middle.

Also think we'll get games into McKay.

Reply #41
SPS still managed 6 disposals and two tackles in a bout a quarter and a half of playing time. Last year showed us that he doesn't need a lot of pre-season time to get ready for the season.

Dow plays ahead of Lamb easily for mine. Lamb shouldn't get a game unless we have substantial injuries. I think there's room for both Garlett and Dow though as Dow will play more through the middle.

I thought Lamb did a fair bit of the unfashionable stuff that allowed the likes of Dow, SPS, Wright and Pickett to get some kudos in finishing.

Remove Lamb and one of them has to sacrifice themselves by hitting the coalface for remaining others to profit on the outside. I don't think any of them are ready or equipped for that, Wright has the body but not the leg speed or aerobic capacity.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
Notwithstanding the difference in size, I wouldn't mind seeing Lamb on Rance for periods in the game. A bit of lip and niggle might be enough to put him off his game.

Reply #43
I think Bolton likes having a Lamb type up forward and Lamb seems to work very well with Pickett.

I doubt they would have played Lamb twice, and pretty much full games, if he wasn't very much likely to start round 1.

And let's not forget he owes Houli big time!

Sure, ultimately the likes of Dow, Garlett and/or Lang may well overtake him but the guy can play his role very well.

sPS will play, no question. The guy is silk.

Will Dow get a gig round 1?

I'd like to hope so - for all the ra ra about the Tigers and their smalls, I don't think they're overly quick and Dow has that explosiveness to hurt them.

Bottom line is there a seriously healthy amount of competition for spots - both with the talls and the smalls...

The Rance question - maybe one of Marchbank or Weitering takes him? Or even Cam O'Shea in a cameo role - it's take one (intercept player) to know one?

Richmond could be forced to make four changes to their premiership team in round one as they sweat on the fitness of midfielder Dion Prestia and Bachar Houli.

With Nathan Broad serving a club-imposed suspension in the first three rounds and Daniel Rioli unlikely to be ready by round one after ankle surgery from an injury suffered in the grand final, several spots could be available for the season opener against Carlton.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #44

Garlett is very lightly built, I think he is a horses for courses player and wont enjoy the extra physicality of the game when its wet in particular...I think Lamb and Dow will both play round 1, both played the JLT games and both had their moments.
As I have said before I think the coach likes Lamb for his application when given a role on a player and this will get him games, there has been a big investment in Dow being taken at pick 3 and he will play most games this season apart from a few where he is managed IMO. He needs to play on the best players and learn the game at senior level, think its a waste of time playing him the VFL apart from giving him a break.
Harry is another who needs senior footy to fastrack him rather than cruising in the VFL....