Skip to main content
Topic: Saving the Budget (Read 5556 times) previous topic - next topic

Saving the Budget

In crisis? Not in crisis?

Broken promises? Just doing what had to be done?

More required? Just politics?

Its been to nice in here with Carlton winning. So the can of worms is now open... Go at it.

Re: Saving the Budget

Reply #1

Its been to nice in here with Carlton winning. So the can of worms is now open... Go at it.

It's all politics.

Most of it is just moving money around to make one area look good and another area look bad. The day to day experiences of individuals, even those involved in the normal finance industry, are ignorant to the scale of things. Their experience does not cut it when it comes to understanding what goes on at government level. There is a lot of "informed" opinion offered by people who have experience dealing with tens or hundreds of millions, maybe even billions, but in trillion dollar economies those figures are just fiddling with the decimal places!

I have a close relative who is at the top of the tree in terms of the finance / tax type bureaucracy. I am told it takes typically eleven years for the charges in political policy be realised at the level of individuals. Most of the rapid shorter terms changes we notice are effects caused by global markets! But you won't hear that from politicians, they live and die by a single term of government! I have no reason to doubt my relative as they have been in a top job for a long time and seen many, many governments come and go!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2

It's all politics.

Most of it is just moving money around to make one area look good and another area look bad. The day to day experiences of individuals, even those involved in the normal finance industry, are ignorant to the scale of things. Their experience does not cut it when it comes to understanding what goes on at government level. There is a lot of "informed" opinion offered by people who have experience dealing with tens or hundreds of millions, maybe even billions, but in trillion dollar economies those figures are just fiddling with the decimal places!

I have a close relative who is at the top of the tree in terms of the finance / tax type bureaucracy. I am told it takes typically eleven years for the charges in political policy be realised at the level of individuals. Most of the rapid shorter terms changes we notice are effects caused by global markets! But you won't hear that from politicians, they live and die by a single term of government! I have no reason to doubt my relative as they have been in a top job for a long time and seen many, many governments come and go!

In this we are in 100% agreement.

They do this everywhere in the public sector.  My wife is a health information person by background and is currently employed by the Department of Justice to work on a project which will release a new medical administration system to deal with problem gambling.  Now, ask yourself this question.  Why is the DOJ footing the bill for this project?

Answer:  Decreased spending on health, and increased spending on law enforcement surrounding government policies.

Make the problem gambling a byproduct of crime and there you have your answer.  Now the question I have is this, whats the point in spending all the administrative time and money employing a new team for a new system that is going anyway?  Political chess.  The governments are busy cutting here and swelling there, and in the process are wasting a tonne of money when the department of health are already equipped to handle this project and probably have staff sitting idle because they have no projects to work on.  Hours and money wasted for nothing.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #3
abolish state governments
councils can look after municipalities .
for a population of 23mil - we're over governed
politician salary increases indexed to budget performance and or tax policy.

that's a start

Reply #4
Surely the "debt tax " is a ridiculous idea?  Even Alan Jones has said as much!

Reply #5
its the easy way out
like jacking up taxes on smokes and alcohol
hitting the addicts to fix up repetitive fk ups
see the parallels?

Reply #6
its the easy way out
like jacking up taxes on smokes and alcohol
hitting the addicts to fix up repetitive fk ups
see the parallels?
No. Ones voluntary and the other isn't  :-\
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #8
abolish state governments
councils can look after municipalities .
for a population of 23mil - we're over governed

Totally with you here, would love to see the state governments go. It would be a big job to remove them, and the idea would probably receive a fair bit of opposition, but for me personally, I'm all for it !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #9
I'd prefer the removal of Local Government ahead of state Government. FFS our Mayor is Darryn Lyons!!

Seriously though local Government is an abhorrent waste of tax payers money and must be addressed.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #10
I'd prefer the removal of Local Government ahead of state Government. FFS our Mayor is Darryn Lyons!!

Seriously though local Government is an abhorrent waste of tax payers money and must be addressed.
+1

And les talk about the corruption in there.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........