Skip to main content
Topic: The classic/fave car thread (Read 13723 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The classic/fave car thread

Reply #120
Speaking of Chargers, my friend owned an E55 Charger. 340 V8 which was factory 275hp. Changed to a better camshaft profile and a set of Extractors, along with a big open air cleaner. Changed the diff gears to 3.23:1 if I remember correctly. It gave GT Falcon owners a hard time in Dandenong back in the late 80’s. Didn’t look as tough as the E49 but it went like stink. Not the best around corners and not the best brakes.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #121
Changed the diff gears to 3.23:1 if I remember correctly.
That was a common ratio for the V6, V8 use to be about 2.9:1.

Holden 253 would run about 3.3:1 if I recall.

I built a NASCAR type HZ 308 once with 2.4:1, coupled with a Turbo 400 auto.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #122

Holden 253 would run about 3.3:1 if I recall.

Std Holden diff ratio around that number s 3.36, that's what my LC has in it.
Ill let you turn my 308 into a NASCAR motor if you want😂
Although at the rate mine sucks fuel now, perhaps Ill just leave it as is.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #123
I've just read the posts in this thread and my wife and I got to thinking about one of the first cars we owned.

Back in the early '60s I bought a one owner 1951 Fiat Topolino 500.  It had a 4 cylinder,  550 cc water cooled motor mounted in the front and driving the back wheels. From memory it developed about 15 bhp.  With a strong tailwind and going down hill it  could reach about 50 mph.  It had a 4-speed gear box with synchro on third and fourth. The fuel tank was in the front in a similar position to the VW Beetle.  It had a long gear lever which screwed into an aluminium housing on top of the gearbox.  By the time I bought the car the thread had stripped and gravity was relied upon to keep the lever in the housing.

Being young and foolish we used it to go for a holiday in Surfers.  We went via the Newell Highway and I remember it took us 24 hours to reach Dubbo.  I've never had a car since that has attracted so much attention.  Along the way no one had ever seen this model Fiat.  Petrol attendants (they had them in those days) just used to look at it and shake their heads.

By the time we got back we were in need of another holiday.  That was the most exhausting trip we have made.

Reply #124
Love the Cinquecento. Not really made for Australian conditions, but in the mother country, it can't be beat.

Reply #125
Although at the rate mine sucks fuel now, perhaps Ill just leave it as is.
If you live in a hilly region give it a miss, there is no smooth up hill getting off the line without the Turbo400 auto.

I think the 308 was actually, usually stroked to about 323, if we could afford them dome tops but high compression made them horribly unreliable, better to start with the 350. Dome tops were a great upgrade for the 253 though. Wade cams (242a was a popular choice), Quadrajet, Ignition Developments HEI. 1.5" single exhaust systems. Subject to tuning the dyno would run 320 - 350. Had to idle them a bit high to prevent stalling with the low diff, so not the sort of car you want to frequently boil in traffic! :D

When we did all that stuff we always made a mandatory brake upgrade, otherwise there is no stopping them. We aren't talking about anything that was nibble or agile, these were a falling brick with high terminal velocity.

Great for the freeway, watching the scenery go by and the fuel gauge fall at about the same rate, but your friends and family could feel and hear them coming like distant rolling thunder. Addicted to bass!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #126
Something tells me the below won't make the grade to get in this thread, no matter how many years we wait!

I think Bill Hicks summed it up best, "Piece of Sh1t!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #127
Have a look at the 'frunk' space if you can.
Also have a look at the build quality of the misalignment of the doors.

Search up the pics.

Reply #128
Something tells me the below won't make the grade to get in this thread, no matter how many years we wait!

I think Bill Hicks summed it up best, "Piece of Sh1t!
I'd poor petrol over it and set fire to the fugly thing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #129
If you live in a hilly region give it a miss, there is no smooth up hill getting off the line without the Turbo400 auto.

I think the 308 was actually, usually stroked to about 323, if we could afford them dome tops but high compression made them horribly unreliable, better to start with the 350. Dome tops were a great upgrade for the 253 though. Wade cams (242a was a popular choice), Quadrajet, Ignition Developments HEI. 1.5" single exhaust systems. Subject to tuning the dyno would run 320 - 350. Had to idle them a bit high to prevent stalling with the low diff, so not the sort of car you want to frequently boil in traffic! :D

When we did all that stuff we always made a mandatory brake upgrade, otherwise there is no stopping them. We aren't talking about anything that was nibble or agile, these were a falling brick with high terminal velocity.

Great for the freeway, watching the scenery go by and the fuel gauge fall at about the same rate, but your friends and family could feel and hear them coming like distant rolling thunder. Addicted to bass!
Ive since taken in for a tune to a bloke who knows what he's doing and cut his teeth on 308s/quadrajets back in the day. Mixtures were fine, ignition timing was miles out. He reckons he reckons he could recommend a cam for me that would really make it fun to drive. He suggested a particular Brock inlet manifold to use in combo with the quadrajet and cam he is thinking about but he said good luck finding one. Anyhow, when I got home I checked under the bonnet and the serial number he gave me was on the manifold so bonus, I already have one. Given the markings on the heads suggest they are "B Cast", I'm tipping the motor was out of a HDT car of some description.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #131
https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/toyota-factory-raided-after-emissions-cheating-admission

Usually its Volkswagen but Toyota lately have become equally morally bankrupt in terms of how they treat customers.
Looks like i can rule out a hilux or a prado as my next vehicle then. They are already behind on stock.

Reply #132
Looks like i can rule out a hilux or a prado as my next vehicle then. They are already behind on stock.
Yet have would still have a Landcruiser variant as first choice, although I have heard some good feedback about newer Mitsubishi models of they ever actually deliver some!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #133
Yet have would still have a Landcruiser variant as first choice, although I have heard some good feedback about newer Mitsubishi models of they ever actually deliver some!
🤢
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #134
Had a triton briefly, good value for money but not in the same league