Skip to main content
Topic: RD 21: Richmond v Carlton (Pre-game Prayers) (Read 52544 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 21: Richmond v Carlton (Pre-game Prayers)

Reply #105
I like our Ins....all goers...Tigers have two good players out and some duds in(shows they have no depth)......Blues by 28 points.....

I like it.

Every chance dickmond will cock it up

You guys are dreaming. Richmond are the real deal and our coach has lost the players. Can you imagine what would've happened the last two weeks if Juddy wasn't playing? I'm tipping we may start brightly but will be well and truly overrun by half time. This could get very ugly.

Totally agree PI2C - this is the first time in many, many years whereby we're playing a Richmond team that is CLEARLY better than us.....and substantially so. Anyone who even considers us to be a chance, simply based on recent past performances, you're simply not being realistic in any way, shape or form. I like the changes Mick has made considering the injuries, really like them, but it still won't change the fact that the Tigers are on a totally different level to us in ability, development & confidence. It could get real ugly tomorrow....expect Hendo to return to defence, seeing as Jamo continues his spud-like form.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #106
The in's are amazing...
So amazing I reckon we have 20 posters calling for these ins 6 weeks ago.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #107
What can you tell us about him baggers?
Clearly a ball magnet, but who, if anyone does he remind you of  ?

Reminds me of Luke Blackwell but miles faster and with much better disposal skills

Good comparison RR, Young Fella. I'm a big fan of his disposal - often hits the best target by foot or hand and has a footy brain. Really pleasing to see that one of our blokes actually has a footy brain!

I just hope we haven't put the mozz on him with this tyre pumping. But I am sure everyone is realistic enough to know he won't come in and dominate... but just watch for potential.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #108
What can you tell us about him baggers?
Clearly a ball magnet, but who, if anyone does he remind you of  ?

Reminds me of Luke Blackwell but miles faster and with much better disposal skills

Good comparison RR, Young Fella. I'm a big fan of his disposal - often hits the best target by foot or hand and has a footy brain. Really pleasing to see that one of our blokes actually has a footy brain!

I just hope we haven't put the mozz on him with this tyre pumping. But I am sure everyone is realistic enough to know he won't come in and dominate... but just watch for potential.

hmmm Luke Blackwell. Could have been anything with the proper development.

Might have a new fave player then :-)

My concern is he was in top form 4 weeks ago. The NB's watchers amongst us said he player tired last week which is understandable and hope that he is not too tired to try and make his debut in the top flight.

Hope he is not sub and agree Dennis would make a good Sub this week.

#united #reset

Reply #109
I like our Ins....all goers...Tigers have two good players out and some duds in(shows they have no depth)......Blues by 28 points.....

I like it.

Every chance dickmond will cock it up

You guys are dreaming. Richmond are the real deal and our coach has lost the players. Can you imagine what would've happened the last two weeks if Juddy wasn't playing? I'm tipping we may start brightly but will be well and truly overrun by half time. This could get very ugly.

Totally agree PI2C - this is the first time in many, many years whereby we're playing a Richmond team that is CLEARLY better than us.....and substantially so. Anyone who even considers us to be a chance, simply based on recent past performances, you're simply not being realistic in any way, shape or form. I like the changes Mick has made considering the injuries, really like them, but it still won't change the fact that the Tigers are on a totally different level to us in ability, development & confidence. It could get real ugly tomorrow....expect Hendo to return to defence, seeing as Jamo continues his spud-like form.
i disagree that they are clearly better than us.  They might even win tomorrow but its not because they are better.  They have had a good year.  We have not, the talent level is still as good if not better at Carlton.  We just havent been playing well.

I still think that Richmond has been vastly overated this year.  They beat Hawthorn again this year and everyone have arrived.  Richmond is to Hawthorn, as is St Kilda to us.  One of those sides they struggle with at the best of times.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #110
we haven't beaten the Hawks for 8 years.

#united #reset

Reply #111
we haven't beaten the Hawks for 8 years.

That is not the point i was making.  Hawthorn struggle with Richmond like we struggle with St Kilda (who beat us again this year).

The fact that we cant beat Hawthorn is not important in this discussion.  St Kilda beat us in premiership years whilst rooted to the bottom of the ladder.

Paul Hewson

Reply #112
@Thry

They actually smashed Hawthorn last year, and they also beat Sydney, both grand finalists so they have clearly been building, this is not some fluke that has happened overnight.

Also just wondering bro, do you rate malthouse on this year's efforts or not? Because surely if we have that much talent to be better than Richmond we've underacheived this year? I thought you had it the other way around and said it was the players? Apologies if i got this wrong I could be thinking of someone else, but pretty sure it was you. i just don't think you can lay the blame at the players' feet and say they're talented enough but it's not up to malthouse to get the best out of them.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #113
The Graham kid sounds like he has the talent but can someone confirm whether or not he gets the hard ball as this is a glaring deficiency with our side. Give me hope, someone?

Reply #114
@Thry

They actually smashed Hawthorn last year, and they also beat Sydney, both grand finalists so they have clearly been building, this is not some fluke that has happened overnight.

Also just wondering bro, do you rate malthouse on this year's efforts or not? Because surely if we have that much talent to be better than Richmond we've underacheived this year? I thought you had it the other way around and said it was the players? Apologies if i got this wrong I could be thinking of someone else, but pretty sure it was you. i just don't think you can lay the blame at the players' feet and say they're talented enough but it's not up to malthouse to get the best out of them.

To clarify, I rate Malthouse as a coach.

The players we have are talented, however they are not well rounded.  They have obvious strengths, and not so obvious weaknesses.  The fact that its taking them this long to adapt makes me question their commitment to the cause and whether or not they are in it for the team, rather than for themselves.

Ratten made a good coach because he was able to get our squad playing good attractive footy, but he failed to develope them as players, which is why people are so divided on him as a coach.  When everyone was fairly happy and things were going well, it was roses.  As soon as the schizen hit the fan we fell apart quicker than a building built on sandy foundations. 

The coach can only do so much when the players dont want to develope, and would rather stick with their old habits because its easier to be like this.  The only reason im quick to blame the players, is that this same factor is what got Ratten in the end.  Not enough improvement from them as individuals and as a team, unwilling to adapt.

Now, the players may still decide to not adapt and play team first football, and thats up to them, but its time to embrace the mantra of the coach comes first, and to stand by his decisions.  I do believe you have a bit of a selective memory regarding the Ratten years and might be painting them to be better than they actually were, because it suits your current argument, but lets face it, they were simply better than we have put up with for a long time, and still pale in comparison to our truly succesful years of the past.  FWIW, I dont blame Ratten.  I dont believe he received the full support of the board and his coaching group, and I also believe that whilst Malthouse has received more than Ratten did, he too has not quite had the right mix around him, as evidenced by clear differences of opinion surrounding what we have and where we are at, and the departure of Mr. Cordy at the end of the year.

As for Richmond beating Hawthorn and Sydney last season, they also lost to Gold Coast, and couldnt put us away last year with half a side in.  Were they false dawns?  Yes they were.  This season appears to be a true dawn for the first time in a long time for them.  The thing is, I still dont rate them that highly, and believe that they are simply doing what North Melbourne did last season.  In fact, the bottom 4 of the 8 are down right questionable, which sort of makes our season that much harder to bear.  I think the talent level of postions 6 - 12 is a lot more even than people think.

Paul Hewson

Reply #115
The Graham kid sounds like he has the talent but can someone confirm whether or not he gets the hard ball as this is a glaring deficiency with our side. Give me hope, someone?

I haven't seen him shirk an issue. Goes hard. Gets the inside aggot and can link up on the outside and deliver effectively. As I mentioned previously, he's got a footy brain hence makes good decisions quickly and acts.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #116

I haven't seen him shirk an issue. Goes hard. Gets the inside aggot and can link up on the outside and deliver effectively. As I mentioned previously, he's got a footy brain hence makes good decisions quickly and acts.

Thanks Baggers. I hope he gets a decent run tomorrow.

Reply #117

Agreed - no obvious weaknesses at VFL level.

Reply #118
From the little I've seen of Graham, he is the sort of player we should of been drafting every year. Is actually  a footballer, has some courage about him and wants to succeed, all traits that Hughes & Co conveniently omitted when they considered a potential draftee.

I'd rather they went for players like him & fail instead of trying to turn guys from other codes into possible players who end up failing anyway. Play the percentages for a few seasons, build up the stock !!

Now, back to the game, don't want this thread to turn into a debate about how to talent spot ..................

Be great if we won but I'll take a fighting loss with the younger players showing some genuine positive signs for the future instead. Besides, I just can't see the Tigers dropping a game this close to the finals.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #119
I have heard so many good things about Graham. I just can't wait to see what all the fuss is about. If he has the potential I have heard he has, we are on a winner here. like Sheik said we need to get players that have genuine ability in the next few seasons. He won't have it easy against the Tigers. They will be desperate to make any new kid feel out of place on the field. No Judd isn't going to help us either. Hope we don't get smashed. A close loss won't upset me one little bit. Well, maybe just a little bit.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.