Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 7: Northern Blues vs Coburg (Read 36476 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 7: Northern Blues vs Coburg

Reply #105
hes a better player than Ed Curnow I reckon and Jaksch is a better player than Jones.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and, 3 months ago, I would have agreed with you regarding Jaksch and Jones.  However, Jaksch has struggled to provide consistent effort while Jones, to my surprise, has shown that he is a competent AFL forward.  As for Curnow and Graham, Ed would be among the first ten players selected each week and Graham would come into consideration at around the 23rd player selected.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #106
Greetings fellow CSCers.

Any positives I communicate should be tempered by the fact that we played the bottom side... and we really did not look much better. In fact, had the game gone another 5 minutes I reckon Coburg could have snatched it.

The standouts for me were Tutt and Graham. Without those two I reckon there would have been a very real chance of us losing.

Graham set the tone early with very strong, positive and influential play. He really did take the game on and bring the rest of the boys with him. He faded late but was a standout and would be stiff to not be seriously considered for senior selection. His game was good in all aspects.

Tutt was out on his own a lot and was everywhere. He was BOG by a mile (next best being Graham). One of the much better games I've seen him play with disposal skills good though he still has that bloody awful habit of just throwing it on his boot from time to time.

SOSOS is class. Looked very dangerous in the first half but was exhausted by the end of the game. Virtually unsighted in the second half.

Dick was okay but not his usual enthusiastic, solid self.

Foster was serviceable.

On today's performance from Cameron Wood not sure he's stated a strong case for senior selection. Serviceable only. The question of he or Gorringe can be best answered by...'gee I hope Phillips is over his hamstring injury!'

McCasker showed glimpses and I like his confidence to run when he's got possession... soooooo much to learn but there were encouraging signs today.

Really like Billy Gower's game today. Run, dash, hard at it though he was caught once 'a la Bell' - you know, the completely unaware run where you get caught and pinged... he did that once, but otherwise, he was good.

I still reckon Whiley's brain is a half second too slow for our game – slow decisions and wrong decisions dominate. Brave, hard at it but has the knack of putting in loads of effort and having FA to show for it... a little like Smith.

Great to see Gus Sheehan back and he was good. Disposal by foot showed a few others how it's done. Did some very encouraging things but tired and had an ice pack on his calf at the end. Hope it was just precautionary. Gotta hunch that after a couple more games he'll be pressing for senior selection.

Jaksch took some very impressive marks up forward. Got a couple of lucky goals being on the end of very good up field work (particularly from Tutt and Graham). He's really got to get some other strings to his bow. Missed a couple of easy shots so could have had 6, He's more a forward than a defender as he really doesn't provide much dash off the backline. Senior selection? 50/50.

Cuningham was disappointing. Maybe he's homesick. Showed dash on a few occasions but does not impose himself on the game. Did a pretty weave through traffic once but gee for a virtual first round draft pick he aint telling us why through his actions. His game today reminded me of the pre season game against the Dons where he was expected to be influential in the midfield but was lost.

Didn't see Boekhorst after half time or thereabouts. Was up and about in the first half and was dangerous. Worked hard. I still don't like the way he hangs back out of contests though today he did lay a few tackles but it's like he does it because he should rather than with intensity and attitude.

Rainbow was serviceable. Did some good things, but remember, the opposition was light!

Best game I've seen from Smith. Seemed to be in everything and laid the best tackle of the game... he took on a bloke twice his size and nailed him - got a free for his effort as well. Cuningham and Boekhorst could learn something from that tackle. But for all his activity there wasn't a great deal of hurt put on the opposition. He did try some offensive stuff (rather than focussing on tackling, spoiling and bumping) but looked all at sea. Funny situation as he seems to need to learn how to be offensive and creative. He backed himself in a few marking contests and showed good judgment. Maybe, just maybe, he needs more confidence to really back himself as there were glimpses of class today.

The big Yank wasn't so influential around the ground but really did some very good work at bounces and throw ins.
Thanks for the review, Baggers. Always good to get 1st hand data. Trying to work things out from the stats and the twitter tweets is frustrating.

Unfortunately you haven't been able to lob any gold at our feet: but if the players only provide fish heads, then the best you can manage is fish heads!

Any ideas as to why Dick was so down today? His form until a couple of weeks ago was as good as anyone and just about worth a senior game. His last fortnight has not suggested he is going anywhere.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #107
hes a better player than Ed Curnow I reckon and Jaksch is a better player than Jones.

Graham has better offensive skills but thats about where it ends in the comparison....Curnow as others have suggested would be one of the first picked and is
a leader in terms of preperation, endurance and application.As dilegent a player you would find in any club and always gives you effort even when the chips are down
unlike Graham who can go missing when the heat is on in senior games..
Curnow didnt have a great night at the office last night but wasnt alone...he isnt silky but every team has their Indians who compliment the chiefs...

Reply #108
Thanks for the review, Baggers. Always good to get 1st hand data. Trying to work things out from the stats and the twitter tweets is frustrating.

Unfortunately you haven't been able to lob any gold at our feet: but if the players only provide fish heads, then the best you can manage is fish heads!

Any ideas as to why Dick was so down today? His form until a couple of weeks ago was as good as anyone and just about worth a senior game. His last fortnight has not suggested he is going anywhere.

Dick had heavy strapping on his thigh, reckon, as I think I mentioned recently, he's got a quad issue.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #109

Sorry mate but comparing Curnow and Graham is unfair on both, but if we had to... and it was grand final day and I needed to pick between the two I'd take Curnow in a heartbeat.

Ditto Jones over Jaksch.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #110
...Cuningham was disappointing. Maybe he's homesick. Showed dash on a few occasions but does not impose himself on the game. Did a pretty weave through traffic once but gee for a virtual first round draft pick he aint telling us why through his actions. His game today reminded me of the pre season game against the Dons where he was expected to be influential in the midfield but was lost...

What is going on with Cuningham? The pre-season reports sounded like he was flying. Is it nerves? Is it personal issues? Or is he just so far from being a footballer this could be the biggest drafting blunder ever?

He was team mates with Jack, so surely SOS knows something we don't.

I'm really hoping he makes it but haven't seen anything to suggest he'll even make it in the VFL. :-\

Reply #111
Sorry mate but comparing Curnow and Graham is unfair on both, but if we had to... and it was grand final day and I needed to pick between the two I'd take Curnow in a heartbeat.

Ditto Jones over Jaksch.

Not sure about Jones over Jaksch. I prefer Jaksch as he is alot better mark. Has had games of 3,3 and 4 goals and other gamesin defence like last week where he got 20 touches and 6 marks. Jones has done ok though and certainly enough to hold his place so he stays. Right now, with Casboult out, I'd play them both.

Reply #112
Not sure about Jones over Jaksch. I prefer Jaksch as he is alot better mark. Has had games of 3,3 and 4 goals and other gamesin defence like last week where he got 20 touches and 6 marks. Jones has done ok though and certainly enough to hold his place so he stays. Right now, with Casboult out, I'd play them both.

x2

Reply #113
x2
x3
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #114
What is going on with Cuningham? The pre-season reports sounded like he was flying. Is it nerves? Is it personal issues? Or is he just so far from being a footballer this could be the biggest drafting blunder ever?

He was team mates with Jack, so surely SOS knows something we don't.

I'm really hoping he makes it but haven't seen anything to suggest he'll even make it in the VFL. :-\

He is 19.
Drafted in November and behind majority of players with smaller pre-season.
Played his 3rd game of VFL footy coming off injury.
He was pick 19, outside the Top 10, so hardly rated as high as Oliver, Parish, Keays
He is 19.

Have we become that impatient as supporters?

Harry McKay hasnt played a game yet... Pick 8, not been sighted...That looks as a bigger Drafting blunder*....

*Of course the statement above is not a serious one.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #115
Harry McKay hasnt played a game yet... Pick 8, not been sighted...That looks as a bigger Drafting blunder

Hmm, seems like it.

Oh well back to the drawing board! ::)

You never know how you will be quoted, that is word for word as you wrote it, just not all the words!

Next thing you'll be posting our plan was top 4 for 2016! :D

PS: In public social media, sarcasm, factitiousness and irony, do they exist?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #116
He is 19.
Drafted in November and behind majority of players with smaller pre-season.
Played his 3rd game of VFL footy coming off injury.
He was pick 19, outside the Top 10, so hardly rated as high as Oliver, Parish, Keays
He is 19.

Have we become that impatient as supporters?

Harry McKay hasnt played a game yet... Pick 8, not been sighted...That looks as a bigger Drafting blunder*....

*Of course the statement above is not a serious one.

I thought we were a club in a hurry.

Reply #117
Not worried about McKay, Cuningham and SOS.
Let them string some good, consistent footy together and get some confidence in their own abilities first before even considering them for senior selection.

Reply #118
Cunningham is going take time and we need to be patient, he isnt very big and isnt playing with a very good NB's  team who can make life easier for him.
I'd be slipping him in for a few senior  games at seasons end along with DVR.....

Problem I see is that we have Buckley, Sumner, DVR, Boekhorst, Tutt and Cunningham who all play the same spots...you need pacy ball carriers but we might have a
slight over supply and need to get a few bigger bodies who can also cover the ground quickly....ours as a group are too lightly framed IMO .
Sumner is a keeper but I dont know about the others...

Reply #119

Curnow has him covered for aerobic capacity which is one of the main requirements for the role he plays, neither of them have better than average skills so I think Curnow gets the nod.
Jaksch wouldn't need to be much good to be better than Jones, neither of them would get a game at North or a few of the other good sides.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.