Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Pre Game Polite Discourse: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 18086 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18: Pre Game Polite Discourse: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #15
Effort is a product of attitude and application. Ability is another matter and you don't necessarily need it to make an effort if you have a good attitude.

Plenty of players with ability have not made it due to poor attitude and application at the AFL level. Let's hope he's not one of them.

Some players have different development rates albeit have loads of talent.

You're hoping Jaksch is better this year than last year and his VFL form suggests it is.

If he keeps improving every year then he will be a good player for us... confidence is the key as well. Don't think it is attitude or effort more than trying to add some strings to his bow and confidence.

Reply #16
Some players have different development rates albeit have loads of talent.

You're hoping Jaksch is better this year than last year and his VFL form suggests it is.

If he keeps improving every year then he will be a good player for us... confidence is the key as well. Don't think it is attitude or effort more than trying to add some strings to his bow and confidence.

I thought he was better last year  ???

Before he was injured he looked OK as a defender.  I remember him going forward and kicking a nice goal too.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
Out: Jaksch Lamb

In:    Boekhorst Casboult

Reply #18
One key forward only again. We're zero from 9 when we've done that and got over 10 goals twice. We're not quick learners there.

Reply #19
KJ papers appear stamped then. Whilst he didn't set the world on fire, I thought he would have been given one more go. We're playing Sydney, gonna get pumped anyway. What's there to lose?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
Yes think the same , on KJ , thought he would have got 2 weeks at least, so might be the end of the road for him. Happy with the other change .

Reply #21
KJ papers appear stamped then. Whilst he didn't set the world on fire, I thought he would have been given one more go. We're playing Sydney, gonna get pumped anyway. What's there to lose?

Yep. Disappointing.

No matter what your thoughts on him are, you reckon he should at least be given some time to find his feet.

If we just wanted someone to keep the seat warm until Casboult came back, we should've let Everitt keep his spot for an extra week.

Reply #22
Remarkably little chatter on this thread this week. Is that a commentary about how people think we will fare? I have no idea. But other weeks and other opponents have sparked considerably more traffic.

Carlton

B: Zach Tuohy, Sam Rowe, Kade Simpson.
HB: Dylan Buckley, Lachie Plowman, Sam Docherty.
C: Dennis Armfield, Patrick Cripps, Ed Curnow.
HF: Sam Kerridge, Simon White, Jack Silvagni.
F: Matthew Wright, Levi Casboult, Charlie Curnow.
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer, Bryce Gibbs, Nick Graham.
Int: Andrew Phillips, Jacob Weitering, Liam Sumner, Blaine Boekhorst.
Emg: Jed Lamb, Mark Whiley, Kristian Jaksch.

In: Levi Casboult, Blaine Boekhorst.

Out: Kristian Jaksch (Omitted), Jed Lamb (Omitted)

I am a bit surprised that Jaksch got the flick after a single game, even though he was very quiet last week. I thought he would be persevered with for another game or 2. Things are not looking up for him. Is it the kick in the backside he needs? Next few weeks will be interesting for Kristian Jaksch.
Lamb being dropped is not surprise: his form has been ordinary in the last few weeks. He has done enough to be reasonably sure of his place for 2017.
I am a little surprised that Sumner didn't join him in the VFL: he may be working hard, but he hasn't got much ball either. Getting a few kicks and a few goals would be good for him.
I am mildly surprised that Charlie Curnow retained his spot, but I guess the idea is to get games into him. Fair enough.
I don't like White at CHF, but who knows what role he will actually play this week?
I am also mildly surprised that Weitering came up. If he was going to get 'rested', then this week would have been a good one.

Sydney Swans

B: Dane Rampe, Aliir Aliir, Nick Smith.
HB: Jake Lloyd, Heath Grundy, Callum Mills.
C: Dan Hannebery, Josh P. Kennedy, Kieren Jack.
HF: Dean Towers, Lance Franklin, George Hewett.
F: Isaac Heeney, Gary Rohan, Tom Papley.
Foll: Sam Naismith, Luke Parker, Tom Mitchell.
Int: Harry Cunningham, Jordan Foote, Xavier Richards, Callum Sinclair.

Emg: Brandon Jack, Tyrone Leonardis, Toby Nankervis

Sydney's ruck division looks to be something we can work on. Naismith is young and inexperienced. Sinclair hasn't been in tremendous form. However, our rucks have not yet been a dominant force.
Their midfield looks to be where they would be expected to win, even though McVeigh isn't there to get 40+ possessions for a change. Hannebery has got large numbers against us recently.

Everybody and their animal will be putting their money on Sydney this week. I can understand that, but I don't have to like it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #23
@crash
If one C Judd was still running around for us, i'd give us a sneaky chance. He used to love playing the Swans and would light it up more often than not. I think we will get a proper rogering as I reckon them and the Hawks are the best teams in the comp by a very long way. They will play in the GF.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #24
Yes think the same , on KJ , thought he would have got 2 weeks at least, so might be the end of the road for him. Happy with the other change .

Doubt he's going anywhere given he's contracted for next year plus we used pick 7 to get him. He's does have issues with his attitude off field, keen on a drink, not as keen on training, from what i hear, so that's one aspect he'd want to pick up. He played good footy in the VFL so we know he can play. If all of the above is right then he can be good if he applies himself. Up to him.

I would've put him in defence and let Weitering play forward with Levi.

Reply #25

Beginning to look that way. He had to make a real impact last week but unfortunately he didn't.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
Good changes, obvious changes. Really don't get the love here for KJ, just not up to it.

Graham and Sumner would want to have a good game... if Cuningham comes along well he'd be a monty to replace one of those two.

Love to sea Weits play the whole game forward.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27
@crash
If one C Judd was still running around for us, i'd give us a sneaky chance. He used to love playing the Swans and would light it up more often than not. I think we will get a proper rogering as I reckon them and the Hawks are the best teams in the comp by a very long way. They will play in the GF.
Yes, a certain Mr. Judd did like playing Sydney, especially with a certain Mr. Jacobs stymying their ruck division.

I can't remember Kreuzer playing a good game against Sydney as yet. Tippett and Sinclair hurt us last time.

I think Sydney are looking pretty good. I was hoping they would beat Hawthorn last week, but the Hawks still appear to have that slight edge against them mentally. Hawthorn are the ones who need a serious rogering. Alas, we are more likely to get it. :(
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #28
Really don't get the love here for KJ, just not up to it

If that is truely the case, then i expect him to be delisted at the end of the year.

If we keep him on the list, then we have done him a diservice by dropping him after 1 game.

I don't care if he is your favourite player, or least favourite. Expecting him, or anyone,  to pick up the pace of an AFL game after not having played at this level for 12 months is harsh.
He is still only 21.

Reply #29
Expecting him, or anyone,  to pick up the pace of an AFL game after not having played at this level for 12 months is harsh.
He is still only 21.
In a nutshell.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th