Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 18: Pre Game Polite Discourse: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 18089 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 18: Pre Game Polite Discourse: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #30
I would have kept him in, but I'm also not going to loose any sleep over it. He was poor. Graham also got dropped after comming in for the Brisbane game.

Reply #31
I would have kept him in, but I'm also not going to loose any sleep over it. He was poor. Graham also got dropped after comming in for the Brisbane game.

Perhaps there's a "have an impact or go back to the NBs" policy; and there's nothing wrong with that.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
Our defence will get plenty of practice this week with the ball pelting in. We have been pretty good at cutting off the ball this year. Problem is gong the other way. Our midfield is slow and weak, and Boekhorst is not the answer without others that can link up. I struggle to see us having an answer to the wave of runners that will surge forward. Could almost see white getting a defensive role on kennedy as curnow is the only player to limit hannebery.

The omission of Jacksh is odd. He was poor, but so were a few others. If his papers are stamped then what is one game going to change? Or is there the view that he is coming along well and the one game was just part of his development?

Frankly, i would rather casboult stay in the seconds for a week or two with an expectation that he dominates. Unless he can sort his kicking quick smart then his days are pretty numbered as well. He is 26. Jacksh is 21.

Reply #33
If that is truely the case, then i expect him to be delisted at the end of the year.

If we keep him on the list, then we have done him a disservice by dropping him after 1 game.

I don't care if he is your favourite player, or least favourite. Expecting him, or anyone,  to pick up the pace of an AFL game after not having played at this level for 12 months is harsh.
He is still only 21.

Exactly. Couldn't have put that better. Needed another crack maybe in defence this time.

Reply #34
Exactly. Couldn't have put that better. Needed another crack maybe in defence this time.

He might have needed another crack but he didn't deserve one.  Mind you, I'd have Sumner running around in the NBs too.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #35
Remarkably little chatter on this thread this week. Is that a commentary about how people think we will fare? I have no idea. But other weeks and other opponents have sparked considerably more traffic.

Carlton

B: Zach Tuohy, Sam Rowe, Kade Simpson.
HB: Dylan Buckley, Lachie Plowman, Sam Docherty.
C: Dennis Armfield, Patrick Cripps, Ed Curnow.
HF: Sam Kerridge, Simon White, Jack Silvagni.
F: Matthew Wright, Levi Casboult, Charlie Curnow.
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer, Bryce Gibbs, Nick Graham.
Int: Andrew Phillips, Jacob Weitering, Liam Sumner, Blaine Boekhorst.
Emg: Jed Lamb, Mark Whiley, Kristian Jaksch.

In: Levi Casboult, Blaine Boekhorst.

Out: Kristian Jaksch (Omitted), Jed Lamb (Omitted)

I am a bit surprised that Jaksch got the flick after a single game, even though he was very quiet last week. I thought he would be persevered with for another game or 2. Things are not looking up for him. Is it the kick in the backside he needs? Next few weeks will be interesting for Kristian Jaksch.
Lamb being dropped is not surprise: his form has been ordinary in the last few weeks. He has done enough to be reasonably sure of his place for 2017.
I am a little surprised that Sumner didn't join him in the VFL: he may be working hard, but he hasn't got much ball either. Getting a few kicks and a few goals would be good for him.
I am mildly surprised that Charlie Curnow retained his spot, but I guess the idea is to get games into him. Fair enough.
I don't like White at CHF, but who knows what role he will actually play this week?
I am also mildly surprised that Weitering came up. If he was going to get 'rested', then this week would have been a good one.

Sydney Swans

B: Dane Rampe, Aliir Aliir, Nick Smith.
HB: Jake Lloyd, Heath Grundy, Callum Mills.
C: Dan Hannebery, Josh P. Kennedy, Kieren Jack.
HF: Dean Towers, Lance Franklin, George Hewett.
F: Isaac Heeney, Gary Rohan, Tom Papley.
Foll: Sam Naismith, Luke Parker, Tom Mitchell.
Int: Harry Cunningham, Jordan Foote, Xavier Richards, Callum Sinclair.

Emg: Brandon Jack, Tyrone Leonardis, Toby Nankervis

Sydney's ruck division looks to be something we can work on. Naismith is young and inexperienced. Sinclair hasn't been in tremendous form. However, our rucks have not yet been a dominant force.
Their midfield looks to be where they would be expected to win, even though McVeigh isn't there to get 40+ possessions for a change. Hannebery has got large numbers against us recently.

Everybody and their animal will be putting their money on Sydney this week. I can understand that, but I don't have to like it.

I was impressed with Naismith last week...big unit but mobile with some skills....Sinclair towelled us last time especially playing down forward....
Dissapointed to see Jaksch dropped...dont see the logic, however I wouldnt be surprised to see him in and Wetiering out injured....
Boekhorst for Lamb is fair enough and the Swans will test Boekhorst's ability to win some contested ball.....dont want to see him put the handbrake on either and pull out of contests when there is some heat on him physically...

Reply #36
Doubt he's going anywhere given he's contracted for next year plus we used pick 7 to get him. He's does have issues with his attitude off field, keen on a drink, not as keen on training, from what i hear, so that's one aspect he'd want to pick up. He played good footy in the VFL so we know he can play. If all of the above is right then he can be good if he applies himself. Up to him.

I must have missed that game.

Reply #37

You've obviously seen plenty of him in the reserves, from your observations, do you believe he is capable of making it in senior footy or is it a completely lost cause ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #38
In a nutshell.

Agreed, we don't have anything to lose by playing him for another game or 2. Having said that i will back BB's judgement over my own.

Glad to see Boekhorst back in as well. Along with Armfield, Buckley and Sumner we couldn't possibly play a quicker side which is something we have lacked recently.

Going to be a nice sunny day in Sydney tomorrow so hopefully a bit of leg speed helps.

Like someone said earlier, im also expecting us to be well beaten by the Swan midfield and Buddy.

Hoping for more improvement from the youngsters

Reply #39
KJ papers appear stamped then. Whilst he didn't set the world on fire, I thought he would have been given one more go. We're playing Sydney, gonna get pumped anyway. What's there to lose?

I'd like to offer an alternate view. If they had kept him in the side it may have been to give him a chance to save his career or be used as potential trade bait. By dropping him the message may be to pull your socks up, EARN a game and have a massive pre season.

Won't really know but either way I think at this stage of the season he could have been afforded one more game.

Reply #40
I, too thought KJ might have got another chance.
There is some talk that Weitering may not be 100%, so Jaksch could come in of he doesn't come up.

If we play with the same purpose as we did last week we might  not get a huge thrashing.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #41
If that is truely the case, then i expect him to be delisted at the end of the year.

If we keep him on the list, then we have done him a diservice by dropping him after 1 game.

I don't care if he is your favourite player, or least favourite. Expecting him, or anyone,  to pick up the pace of an AFL game after not having played at this level for 12 months is harsh.
He is still only 21.

Fortunately the club, re selection, is becoming more and more in the 'harsh' business. Excellent.

Oh for the time when non-hackers won't get a game due to the injury toll in the seniors being high. Oh for the time when our list is strong again and we don't have non-hackers!

Jaksch only got a game because Levi was out... and he can go back.... as he is tall and can punch the ball - better defender than forward. Jaksch's form in the magoos did not demand senior selection - it justified selection when we were bereft of fit talls. Earlier in the year when Plowman was playing in the magoos his form down back demanded senior selection consideration. Why? He took charge of the back line... closed down his opponent, wove through traffic, set up offensive plays. Byrne's form in the magoos demanded senior selection as has Graham's, SOJ (on talent alone) and most recently, Boekhorst. Harry did more in glimpses last game than I've seen Jaksch do in entire games. I've never seen Jaksch ever actually take hold of a game... has Watson morphed into a more slender version of himself? Even Watson had a few bags of 4-5 goals plus. Jaksch is strictly a mark, kick or spoil dude. Even when Levi was in the magoos he would take hold of a game and/or go in the ruck and take control (I still think he's a better ruckman/on-baller than key forward). I would love to be wrong... love to see Jaksch suddenly show mental toughness and tear up the forward line. Where's that magic wand? He might get a reprieve if Weits doesn't come up for the Swans game... if he does, he'd want to grab it.

I hope 'harsh' continues, and may it evolve into us being ruthlessly harsh (re senior selection/holding your place in the seniors). May selection in our senior side become an earned premium and not based on luck or giving someone a go...

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #42
I hope 'harsh' continues, and may it evolve into us being ruthlessly harsh (re senior selection/holding your place in the seniors). May selection in our senior side become an earned premium and not based on luck or giving someone a go...

I couldn't agree more Baggers.  Players must earn their place and deserve to keep it. 

I'm looking forward to the time when our depth is good enough to put everyone in the 22 under pressure to perform.

Reply #43
Predictable selections, in fact I think I called them.
Can't understand the people who think Jaksch should have been gifted another game after such a woeful performance, if he'd even given a glimpse that he was up to senior footy I'd agree but he showed nothing at all.
He's got a month or so to show the club that we should keep him, if he can't then it's just another bad trade to add to the list.
Lamb just not doing enough, 30 touches and a couple of goals in the VFL from Boekhorst and it was a no brainer, Boekhorst is nothing flash but he's a busy player with some pace and skills.
It's an ordinary side without Murphy and Thomas, I'm expecting an easy Sydney win.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #44

When you kick 20 goals so far in a season, which includes playing a few good games in defence it's obvious you are shutting your eyes every time he goes near the ball. He's had two games of 4 goals, two games of 3 goals. He must've fluked all that...lol. The game I saw he was outstanding. To say his VFL hasn't been good on those figures means people have an agenda. If he's doing that playing crap imagine what he'd do if he played well. This is after missing much of his pre-season with illness. He has the ability, depends how much he wants to apply himself with training and off-field, which may be an issue.