Skip to main content
Topic: Duigan's run up (Read 8506 times) previous topic - next topic

Duigan's run up

Sunday is the first time I have really noticed Nick Duigan's run up when kicking for goal.

When he walked back for his first shot I thought that he was going back a long way but that is not unusual among current day players.  When he commenced his run up I was surprised at how quickly he built up speed and he was travelling considerably faster than most players when he kicked.

I watched his other three shots at goal ( note shots at goal, not on goal  ;) ) and his method was consistent and effective.  I noticed that his run up was fluid, relatively straight ( with just a slight movement to the right ) and clearly provided good momentum for his kicking action.  The ball drop was controlled and the kick was well-timed.

At this point I should admit that I was a very average kick for goal and probably one of the last people to critique goal kicking.  However, I would be interested in others' assessment of Duigan's run up.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Duigan's run up

Reply #1
Sunday is the first time I have really noticed Nick Duigan's run up when kicking for goal.

When he walked back for his first shot I thought that he was going back a long way but that is not unusual among current day players.  When he commenced his run up I was surprised at how quickly he built up speed and he was travelling considerably faster than most players when he kicked.

I watched his other three shots at goal ( note shots at goal, not on goal  ;) ) and his method was consistent and effective.  I noticed that his run up was fluid, relatively straight ( with just a slight movement to the right ) and clearly provided good momentum for his kicking action.  The ball drop was controlled and the kick was well-timed.

At this point I should admit that I was a very average kick for goal and probably one of the last people to critique goal kicking.  However, I would be interested in others' assessment of Duigan's run up.

Goes against everything I've seen recently by Hall, Reiwolt, Plugger and Dunstall where they limit the build up to a walk with three or four quicker steps just before the ball drop. Chris Mayne from Freo does the same.

But it meets the number one criteria i.e. go with what works.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #2

Shultz from PA does the same thing, prick doesnt miss.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
If he kicks another four goals he can tumble in gymnast style and I won't give a crap!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4

Shultz from PA does the same thing, prick doesnt miss.

Couldn't agree more, it's a carbon copy of Jay Shultz
That guys the best kick for goal in the comp
Eat more chooks

Reply #5
From the biomechanical point of view, 5-7 steps is all that's needed.  But there's no worries about adding steps before that as a kind of pre-run-up.  At AFL level, adding some walking steps as Fev used to do or as Saad did helps because as soon as those little steps start, the umpire's 30s countdown to a play on call stops.  No doubt, for some the pre-run-up helps them gather their thoughts too.  JK's horsey gallop isn't really part of his run-up, but it seems to do him some psychological good as a pre-run-up routine. 

Once it comes time for the fair dinkum 5-7 step run-up to start, however, the idea is to build up momentum and the strides lengthen with the last stride being as long as the kicker can comfortably manage.  That's what provides the power as long as the kicking foot rises well above the knee and towards the bum.  If you take too few steps, then it's much harder to maintain balance and there's a risk of the leg swinging across the body, and there's also a risk that the kicker will lean back which usually means a hooked kick. 

The most important thing, however, is that a player has a routine which he uses for every shot at goal. 

Reply #6
If he kicks another four goals he can tumble in gymnast style and I won't give a crap!

Agree. Don't see Weagle supporters complaining about JK's Fred Flinstone  twinkle toe run up. ;D
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #7
I think he runs in fast because he is not confident covering the distance, he is not experienced as a forward so probably rightly so.

But most of his kicks went into the crowd so he should relax a bit!

When I was playing years ago I recall if I tried too hard I lost heaps of distance, my best kicks came out at about 90% effort.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
I think he runs in fast because he is not confident covering the distance, he is not experienced as a forward so probably rightly so.

But most of his kicks went into the crowd so he should relax a bit!

When I was playing years ago I recall if I tried too hard I lost heaps of distance, my best kicks came out at about 90% effort.
Everyone has something that works best for them. Agree with the 90% effort thing, timing was everything for me. I also liked to keep my head over the ball and eyes straight at it. Never took my eyes off the ball or my boots or looked up till the follow through was well and truly done. Straight as a die 9 times outa 10. I guess for some kicking for goal on the run (ie with fwd momentum) works better for them that set shots. Hence if you can modify the set shot by carrying momentum, it a cross btw set shot and on the run, best of both world. Works for Shultz, worked for Duigs on the weekend. As LP said earlier, they can do backflips with their wangs out for all I care, as long as they kick 18.8 instead of 8.18, I will be happy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9
I wonder if this is the way to go for some of our guys who seem to have no problem hitting targets around the ground but baulk in front of goals.
I am no kicking coach though...

Reply #10
DJC,

Listen to some of Malcolm Blight comments on shots at goal. He stated that being at running pace is best for a shot because that is how most of the kicking during a game is done. He doesn't like these slow and short run ups
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #11
I tend to agree Mantis; the closer to kicking on the run the better.

I guess the Fev slow and steady walk and kick has become the model for many players.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
If Duigan has a quiet  or shocker game this week do we all think that one glory game last week is enough to save his career.....?

Reply #13
If Duigan has a quiet  or shocker game this week do we all think that one glory game last week is enough to save his career.....?

Hoping guys who rarely produce will come good and be consistent contributors is exactly what sold us into trouble.

Reply #14

He's been good for three weeks EB.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................