Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Parley-2019 AFL Rd 2: Carlton vs Port Adelaide:  (Read 17292 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Parley-2019 AFL Rd 2: Carlton vs Port Adelaide:

Reply #120
Ed Curnow got in the bests the week before with 25 or 26 possessions too.

Sometimes you wonder who chooses the bests and what motivations they have.

At least Ed has an excuse.  He was a VFL hacker who has been great value and continues to provide value in a what you see is what you get capacity.

Murphy was captain of the club, and went pick 1 in his draft year and seems to find new ways to dissapoint each and every season.

The only pass I will give him is that he was borderline concussed before half time, but in the first quarter he was pretty crap.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #121
Compare the pair....

Player 1:
14 disposals
4 contested
5 clangers
2 goals
6 tackles
1 I50s

Player 2:
14 disposals
6 contested
4 clangers
1 goal, 1 behind
2 tackles
4 I50s

Relatively similar stats for players playing a similar position.

Here is the kicker, player 1 is a senior player and those stats are for 2 games.
Player 2 is a kid, and those stats are from 1.

No prizes for guessing who they are now, but for those playing at home.
1 = Fas
2 = Polson

Reply #122
Compare the pair....

Player 1:
14 disposals
4 contested
5 clangers
2 goals
6 tackles
1 I50s

Player 2:
14 disposals
6 contested
4 clangers
1 goal, 1 behind
2 tackles
4 I50s

Relatively similar stats for players playing a similar position.

Here is the kicker, player 1 is a senior player and those stats are for 2 games.
Player 2 is a kid, and those stats are from 1.

No prizes for guessing who they are now, but for those playing at home.
1 = Fas
2 = Polson

Lets be fair, two different players...one is a small marking forward the other is a small forward playing in a defensive pressure role.
Fas is expected to kick goals and Polson is expected to put a small rebounding defender out of business.
A lot easier to be a negative player but at the same time Polson is better value at the minute and deserves a game and Fasalo needs NB's time....

Reply #123
Lets be fair, two different players...one is a small marking forward the other is a small forward playing in a defensive pressure role.
Fas is expected to kick goals and Polson is expected to put a small rebounding defender out of business.
A lot easier to be a negative player but at the same time Polson is better value at the minute and deserves a game and Fasalo needs NB's time....

Yes, Lets be fair, i said playing a similar position.

You said SMALL marking FORWARD
and SMALL FORWARD playing a defensive pressure role.

I'd say thats about as similar as you can get without playing the exact position. ;)

Reply #124
Yes, Lets be fair, i said playing a similar position.

You said SMALL marking FORWARD
and SMALL FORWARD playing a defensive pressure role.

I'd say thats about as similar as you can get without playing the exact position. ;)

I'll make it simple...one is there to kick goals the other is there to stop the ball rebounding back down the other end to stop goals being kicked.... ;)

If Polson plays on Laird from the Crows we want Polson stopping Laird getting his usual 30 plus possies.....
If Fasalo plays on Laird we want 2-4 goals kicked by our man.
Degree of difficulty higher for Fasalo.....so its better to play the percentages and play Polson who has a higher chance of succeeding in his task.

Reply #125
Next time we play Port we need to target Powell Pepper at every opportunity. Distract the agitator, keep him looking over his shoulder.

Reply #126
I still want to know why the MRO ignored the Murphy hit.  Powell-Pepper, to his credit , made the ball his object.  Butters did not.  Combined with his carry on after kicking a goal, this kid is rapidly climbing the "punchable head" rankings.  With a bullet.

Not much protection being offered to blokes making the running in marking contests. to put it bluntly.

Unrealistic attempts at marking, which destroy the attempts to mark or spoil and creating chaos at deck level for small forwards is rampant ATM.  I thought this was Interference/sheparding in the marking contest, illegal contact... there's ways to umpire this crap from the game, I guess the AFL are too busy concentrating on other minutiae right now.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #127
I still want to know why the MRO ignored the Murphy hit.  Powell-Pepper, to his credit , made the ball his object.  Butters did not.  Combined with his carry on after kicking a goal, this kid is rapidly climbing the "punchable head" rankings.  With a bullet.

Not much protection being offered to blokes making the running in marking contests. to put it bluntly.

Unrealistic attempts at marking, which destroy the attempts to mark or spoil and creating chaos at deck level for small forwards is rampant ATM.  I thought this was Interference/sheparding in the marking contest, illegal contact... there's ways to umpire this crap from the game, I guess the AFL are too busy concentrating on other minutiae right now.

As I stated, I wan't to know who was playing on Butters and Powell-Pepper at the time. The hit might well be an AFL issue, but the result is a slur on our team first ethic. Somebody abandoned a team-mate looking for a cheap possession.

FWIW, I saw Weiters cleaned up the very same way in a school game just a couple of weeks before we drafted him. The kid had to be carted off in an ambulance and the morons from his opponents clapped the instigators off the field like they were brave champions, the umpires didn't even pay a free kick! Let's just say that team of blockheads had a very close association with CheatsFC, another reason I hate them!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #128
Agreed on Butters. Was nice to see McGovern nail him with that tackle and make him look like a complete goose and push his head into the turf for good measure.

Reply #129
Agreed on Butters. Was nice to see McGovern nail him with that tackle and make him look like a complete goose and push his head into the turf for good measure.

Yes, that was a nice moment - very timely, he was starting to look very cocky and needed a subtle reminder!  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #130

Yes, apart from the ability to take speccies and kick goals, the Gov adds just a touch of mongrel and a desire to let his opponents know that they’re in a contest.

He is only going to get better as the season progresses and I’m looking forward to the Gov’s breakout game in navy blue.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #131
Yes, apart from the ability to take speccies and kick goals, the Gov adds just a touch of mongrel and a desire to let his opponents know that they’re in a contest.

He is only going to get better as the season progresses and I’m looking forward to the Gov’s breakout game in navy blue.
Absolutely agree - haven't seen a run down tackle in our F50 for a while, reminded me of Eddie Betts days, when we got it into our F50 we made the opposition work hard to get it out.  Lately it's been a breeze for them to do that.

Think McG will be a very very important player for the Blues - very happy to have him.