Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Parley-2019 AFL Rd 2: Carlton vs Port Adelaide:  (Read 17294 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Parley-2019 AFL Rd 2: Carlton vs Port Adelaide:

Reply #15
I reckon we are still carrying around 5 (Garlett, Fasolo, Murphy, Gibbons & Simpson). Thought we fought it out to the end. The 2nd quarter cost us dearly. At least the drug cheats lost again. Makes our loss a little less painful.

Reply #16
SPS is a class player and will get better.

Murphy and Simpson are holding us back. Time to chop the dead wood.

Cmon mate, enough.

Murphy may not be an elite talent, but he is better than any blokes in position 23-46 at the club, and thus he stays in the side. I don't care if we use him exclusively as a FP, but chopping them solves nothing.

Simpson coming under fire is even more laughable. Talk about heart and soul. Bloke never dies wondering and never stops running. He might have his deficiencies, but i'd prefer to have 22 Simmos in the side than just about any other side of 22 'player x' from our list.
At his age, we shouldn't be relying on him so much, but you can't tell him to ease up as he only has 1 gear, flat out.

Ed Curnow should be shown the door before those 2. I hope he is carrying an injury or 4, because if this is what we can expect from here, i worry for his spot in the side. He should be in his prime.

Re: 2019 AFL Rd 2: Carlton vs Port Adelaide: Post Game Parley

Reply #17
and I'll even credit my whipping boy Polson witha good goal and he made a good tackle or two as well and wasnt our worst.

Good post.

Set up 2 more goals with good handballs under pressure.

Almost made it into the top half of our possession getters with 14. His best game... though some glaring errors.

Reply #18
The Plowman dilemma - too small to be a tall defender, too slow to be a half back.
Sure he tries, but so do I. And I’m not playing in the AFL.

Reply #19
I reckon we are still carrying around 5 (Garlett, Fasolo, Murphy, Gibbons & Simpson). Thought we fought it out to the end. The 2nd quarter cost us dearly. At least the drug cheats lost again. Makes our loss a little less painful.
Garlett is improving but still short of being the player we need him to be. Might be worth persevering with because who else is going to come in and do better? Might be worth trying him forward too.

Re: 2019 AFL Rd 2: Carlton vs Port Adelaide: Post Game Parley

Reply #20
Good post.

Set up 2 more goals with good handballs under pressure.

Almost made it into the top half of our possession getters with 14. His best game... though some glaring errors.

His last game, R23 vs Adelaide, he had 15 touches and kicked 2 and had 7 tackles. People forget pretty quickly.

Reply #21
Garlett is improving but still short of being the player we need him to be. Might be worth persevering with because who else is going to come in and do better? Might be worth trying him forward too.

Same could be said of about 10 in the side today. We need more from them, but they are offering more than people who aren't in the side.

re Garlett, i thought it was his best game in defence for us. Starting to get the hang of it a bit, while still having room to improve.

I reckon we have enough small forward options and need a good user of the ball down back, who can also play on the quicker forwards. If not Garlett for that role then who?

Reply #22

Pretty fair post. We're annoyingly close to a pretty solid looking team. Garlett for Doc & Fasolo for Cunningham... Williamson in there somewhere also. Kreuzer back in.

To have a good long injury free run. What a dream.

Reply #23
His last game, R23 vs Adelaide, he had 15 touches and kicked 2 and had 7 tackles. People forget pretty quickly.

Getting smacked by 100 will do that.

Reply #25
Same could be said of about 10 in the side today. We need more from them, but they are offering more than people who aren't in the side.

re Garlett, i thought it was his best game in defence for us. Starting to get the hang of it a bit, while still having room to improve.

I reckon we have enough small forward options and need a good user of the ball down back, who can also play on the quicker forwards. If not Garlett for that role then who?
We have small forward options,  none of whom are doing enough or damaging. I’m not picturing Longmire sweating this week at the prospect of trying counter Carlton’s deadly small forwards.
That said and sarcasm aside, I also agree with you and I don’t know else can play done back in those small defender/half back roles. We didn’t get enough from Thomas, Neumann and Simmo today. Maybe that’s what we need to target in the mid year draft?

Reply #26
Our older players are not playing well,  we are asking kids to play roles they are years away from doing consistently.

We miss Doc and Willo terribly.   Our defence was a mess for so much of this game.  Why?

EB,  Duursma is one I highlighted last year,  part of the reason I was so annoyed we coughed up those mid range picks in all those deals.   But Duursma isn't being asked to play a primary role,  his life is easier than it is for our kids.

Plowman needs to shape up.   Mistakes cost and he's making too many. Lord he's slow as well.

Ed has one game to turn his career around,  he has been crapfull since mid 2018.    I'd be tempted to give Kennedy his role - run with and rest forward.

Murphy is another who gets by but could do so much more. He makes us soft around the contest with his lack of physical presence. 

Time to ditch Fazzy boy... Not performing by anybody's standards.   SOS has been utterly unable to identify dangerous,  smaller forwards who can consistently kick goals.  Why did we let Wright retire so easily?

Time for Walls to give Bolton a clip.  Pay attention to influential opposition players or go coach Manangatang. Not happy with you Brendan.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #27
Been saying it for two years,  we need gun half backs/ball distributing small defenders.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #28
Cmon mate, enough.

Murphy may not be an elite talent, but he is better than any blokes in position 23-46 at the club, and thus he stays in the side. I don't care if we use him exclusively as a FP, but chopping them solves nothing.

Simpson coming under fire is even more laughable. Talk about heart and soul. Bloke never dies wondering and never stops running. He might have his deficiencies, but i'd prefer to have 22 Simmos in the side than just about any other side of 22 'player x' from our list.
At his age, we shouldn't be relying on him so much, but you can't tell him to ease up as he only has 1 gear, flat out.

Luke Hodge won 4 premiership with Hawthorn, heart and soul, captained the club and they pushed him to retire.

Sam Mitchell same deal.

We made the mistake of hanging on to champs in the 90s and we paid for it dearly.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #29
We have small forward options,  none of whom are doing enough or damaging. I’m not picturing Longmire sweating this week at the prospect of trying counter Carlton’s deadly small forwards.
That said and sarcasm aside, I also agree with you and I don’t know else can play done back in those small defender/half back roles. We didn’t get enough from Thomas, Neumann and Simmo today. Maybe that’s what we need to target in the mid year draft?

Our small forwards will get better when we get better with the ball up the ground. Thats from our midfield and from our backline.

Quick rebounding from turnovers will help all our forwards. When we looked good today, thats what we were doing, moving the ball quick and direct.

Garlett up forward won't help his game, nor get us closer to the win as a team.

Nor will playing Fas.

If Kennedy dominating the 2's is correct (read that somewhere) bring him into the side.
Drop Fasolo and play Murphy forward.
That will give us a bigger body in the guts, and a smarter forwardline and allow Murphy and his aging body a chance to be more useful to the side.