Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Parley-2019 AFL Rd 2: Carlton vs Port Adelaide:  (Read 17311 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Parley-2019 AFL Rd 2: Carlton vs Port Adelaide:

Reply #30
Luke Hodge won 4 premiership with Hawthorn, heart and soul, captained the club and they pushed him to retire.

Sam Mitchell same deal.

We made the mistake of hanging on to champs in the 90s and we paid for it dearly.

Yeah, got us into the Grand Final in 1999. Cost us dearly?!

When Pagan came in and showed the door to Bradley types etc, how did that work out for us?

There is a happy balance.

Hawks can afford to let go of some premiership players because they had about 30 on their list! How many do we have? 1, Daisy.

Reply #31
So tired of losing and trying to stay positive. It’s really wearing thin. Yes we are an improvement on last year but the rest of the Comp improves so still can’t see where the wins will come from

We just don’t have leaders who at critical stages can involve themself on the result. We have Cripps and then daylight.

Our senior core today consisted of Simpson, Murphy, Thomas, Phillips, Jones and Fasolo. Most of that group contribute but not one influences a match or is the difference when we need it.

I know we can’t do much about this now and getting in McGovern and Newman has helped but reckon the rebuild is painfully slow in part because of the lack of true leaders they can carry the kids in the stages of the game when they go missing.

And some of the coaching and MC decisions really make me wonder.  Fasolo is not fking match fit so how does he get a game. Is slow and looks lazy. And Garlett is an embarrassment to be wearing the jumper. If he isn’t the softest afl player going around I don’t know who is.  Hates any sort of contact and prefers to knock the ball around then pick it up in any contested situation.... all because he doesn’t want the contact. Disgusting. 

Neither can be selected next week. They just can’t.

I finally saw something from Polson today - will take another 10 games like that before I say there is hope but in fairness must hold his place on that effort.

And Weitering was great again, looks settled and best of all is backing himself. Credit to SPS as well, looked classy in traffic and tried his guts out.

Was also happy with McGovern and McKay is developing nicely just needs to improve his tank. Looks rooted in the last quarter.

Would give settlefield and definitely Walsh a run in the 2s. Don’t want to burn them out and both looked like they struggled with the tempo today.

Cant wait for Kruezer to come in. Cripps needs some protection before we break this poor bloke in two.

Reply #32
Looking at the stats sheet a few things stand out:

Port had 94 more disposals - mostly handballs though and pretty much all uncontested. I think that highlights our lack of running and linking up of half back.

Our efficiency inside 50 was slightly better than port’s, but we didn’t get it there enough

We got smashed in the hitouts, 58 to 32. Clearances were also 61-37 against us.

Our heat map again shows us stuck in the defensive half back line on one side of the ground for a lot of the game. We don’t move the ball well and get stuck here.

We had zero bounces. We don’t run and carry he ball enough.

Gibbons and Setterfield had the most pressure acts on the ground - 33 and 31, respectively. Polson had th same number as Philips and just one more than Murphy. Ed, Simpson and Garlett had just nine each. McKay had more.

Reply #33
MRO should look at that hit on Murphy,  Butters had zero chance of marking it,  he was just running in for the easy kill... Didn't even put his hands up,  just went in with the hip.

Like I said at the time,  Daisy should have absolutely monstered Drew,  it's about time our players drew (sic) a line in the sand.   Would Butters have had the stones to nail a senior player if he knew pain could come back the other way?  So,  a second gamer feels he can slot our ex-Captain,  no wonder we're crap. It's something the playing group needs to address.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #34
Our older players are not playing well,  we are asking kids to play roles they are years away from doing consistently.

We miss Doc and Willo terribly.   Our defence was a mess for so much of this game.  Why?

EB,  Duursma is one I highlighted last year,  part of the reason I was so annoyed we coughed up those mid range picks in all those deals.   But Duursma isn't being asked to play a primary role,  his life is easier than it is for our kids.

Plowman needs to shape up.   Mistakes cost and he's making too many. Lord he's slow as well.

Ed has one game to turn his career around,  he has been crapfull since mid 2018.    I'd be tempted to give Kennedy his role - run with and rest forward.

Murphy is another who gets by but could do so much more. He makes us soft around the contest with his lack of physical presence. 

Time to ditch Fazzy boy... Not performing by anybody's standards.   SOS has been utterly unable to identify dangerous,  smaller forwards who can consistently kick goals.  Why did we let Wright retire so easily?

Time for Walls to give Bolton a clip.  Pay attention to influential opposition players or go coach Manangatang. Not happy with you Brendan.

Doc and Williamson are a big loss, they can both use the ball and Williamson can play on a variety of players...
Ed is limited and if you dont find roles to suit his limitations then he doesnt impact much...the forward idea isnt working, ok he wobbled one through and gave a joe the goose to Harry but that was about it.
Fazzy boy isnt fit enough and is too mark and kick, we need small forwards who can crumb and kick cheap goals........Gibbons created a few opportunities but rushed them, Polson did his job and was involved in some scoring plays as well and at least contributed, Fasalo kicked a goal but unsighted otherwise....yep time to go and find form in the NB's.

re: Murphy....my main gripe is his disposal......turns it over by foot with dinky up and under kicks in the middle of the ground and needs less midfield time and could spend more time forward...
re: Plowman....struggled today but Port are by far the quickest team in the comp and I think he needs a couple more games to settle after his injury from last season...but he is on notice..

re: Bolton....not sure what Walls is contributing but we do struggle to identify influential players and make the changes quickly, its been a common pattern...the 44 Rockliff had last week should have bene enough to alert
Bolton and have a plan B for him. It appeared once we lost Charlie that Bolton gave it up but didnt tell the players who at least battled on and it was Ports bigger bodies feeding those nippy young kids that
got them home with Motlop icing some good goals.

re: Kennedy...happy to play him but when fit and thats an ongoing issue.......

Reply #35
Luke Hodge won 4 premiership with Hawthorn, heart and soul, captained the club and they pushed him to retire.

Sam Mitchell same deal.

We made the mistake of hanging on to champs in the 90s and we paid for it dearly.

I would suggest that the demographic of Hawthorn in 2016 in terms of experience and skill was totally different to Carlton at the end of 2018. No comparison.

We know we’ve made it when we can afford to do things like that.

Reply #36
Yeah, got us into the Grand Final in 1999. Cost us dearly?!

When Pagan came in and showed the door to Bradley types etc, how did that work out for us?

There is a happy balance.

Hawks can afford to let go of some premiership players because they had about 30 on their list! How many do we have? 1, Daisy.

Still talking about 99(where we lost a GF), wowee how low we have sunk.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #37
I would suggest that the demographic of Hawthorn in 2016 in terms of experience and skill was totally different to Carlton at the end of 2018. No comparison.

We know we’ve made it when we can afford to do things like that.

Um what about 2015-2018? We just pretend that didn't happen.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #38
I'm reluctant to hit the keyboard after a loss, but I marked this down as "gone" days ago. 

We're just too easy to "pick off" and slow to react, have zero idea how to protect a lead or change the plan to ensure we do. 

Too many passengers ... and being blunt, sub standard senior level coaching.

Reply #39
Time for Walls to give Bolton a clip.  Pay attention to influential opposition players or go coach Manangatang. Not happy with you Brendan.

Gray has cut us up in the past - next to no impact today. You can't shut everyone out of the game.

Reply #40
Looking at the stats sheet a few things stand out:

Port had 94 more disposals - mostly handballs though and pretty much all uncontested. I think that highlights our lack of running and linking up of half back.

Our efficiency inside 50 was slightly better than port’s, but we didn’t get it there enough

We got smashed in the hitouts, 58 to 32. Clearances were also 61-37 against us.

Our heat map again shows us stuck in the defensive half back line on one side of the ground for a lot of the game. We don’t move the ball well and get stuck here.

We had zero bounces. We don’t run and carry he ball enough.

Gibbons and Setterfield had the most pressure acts on the ground - 33 and 31, respectively. Polson had th same number as Philips and just one more than Murphy. Ed, Simpson and Garlett had just nine each. McKay had more.

Port are very quick but over use the footy and will probably win the uncontested stuff in every game they play....Lycett and Ryder were always going to wear down Philips, they are two bigger bodied types that doent suit Philips but I thought he battled on ok.
Clearances was a big issue today and was last season, having the best clearance player in the comp(Cripps) you dont expect this problem most weeks and would expect to break even, no Kreuzer doesnt help either..
The tactics or personnel have to change in the middle..not sure what assistant is doing the stoppages but I'd be asking questions if I was Bolton..
Pressure acts are great but only if they amount to something IMO....

Reply #42
I've got a position for Smurph,
Left right out!
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #43
Not sure why we're not playing SOSOS.

Reckon he might come in for Charlie and play down forward with McGovern and Harry.
Other choice I guess would be Kerr but I'd see Jack ahead of him in the pecking order....

Reply #44
Gray has cut us up in the past - next to no impact today. You can't shut everyone out of the game.
27 possessions, 5 tackles and a goal.
Wish our low impact players were contributing that much.