Skip to main content
Topic: R1 vs Port Adelaide @ Etihad - Pre-Match Postulating (Read 56104 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R1 vs Port Adelaide @ Etihad - Pre-Match Postulating

Reply #15
Henderson looked pretty good for the Northern Blues on Friday. You would expect he will line up against Port. Watson has had a good pre season so you would think he would be picked in the team for this game.

This leaves Warnock, Kreuzer and Casboult fighting it out for two spots in the team imo.

Reply #16
Boy oh boy I really hope we show up for four quarters, anything less and I think they'll roll us. I think we have enough class on the field to account for them but do we have enough hunger and enough heart? Time will tell.

Agree with all of this, if we show up for all 4 qtr's we will be good enough to win.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #17

if we are going to make finals though we cant be dropping home games to teams like Port, .

Exactly, and that is why I am expecting MM and MM to get us up for a win.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #18
This is a game I would start Everitt forward...Port have some kids down back who have not played much footy and I think Spider Jnr can provide matchup issues with his extra size. I would expect 2-3 goals from him.....and a couple from Menzel.
Watson is going to have to play a decent game, Westhoff has gone up in my estimations of late and is a key player now for Port who gets plenty of the ball for a tall player and kicks goals. He is mobile and a very strong mark for a player who most underestimate and he needs careful attention...be a good test for Watson who has to allow Henderson to play down forward to give us an edge.

Curnow can take Boak and Wingard is another who needs careful consideration...not Touhy(too loose)...

Lobbe has improved but to me is still just a plodder and its time for Kruezer to dominate and give us first use......

Judd is a loss but Bell has to improve with the responsibility...no more silly free's getting caught barging through traffic and no more haphazard disposal...Robbo is the only one we need doing the haphazard stuff...

Murphy to step up along with Gibbs and lead the team to victory......not just the four points riding on this game, we need to show we have improved overall and have mastered the Malthouse game plan and can limit our turnovers.
Malthouse has had his year to evaluate/fine tune and has no excuses......beating Port should be a given for a team that expect to play finals and are coached by one of the best in the business..

Reply #19
Watson is going to have to play a decent game, Westhoff has gone up in my estimations of late and is a key player now for Port.

Westhoff will eat Watson for breakfast. Henderson must play on him.  It might have been why they tried Watson up forward against the Bulldogs but it didn't work.

Reply #20
I don't think Watson is a good match up for Westhoff - he's not mobile enough to stick with him and would get the run around IMO.
Lachie (unfortunately) would be better, or even Everitt.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21
Time has come for Watson to take on the responsibility of a KP down back.....if he cant run around with Westhoff then he has to be traded IMO and we get someone else.....if we have to drag Henderson down back everytime to patch up a leaky defense then we may as well forget turning up vs the better teams.

Westhoff would be too big for Everitt IMO....our man is a third tall defender not KP......

Reply #22
Time has come for Watson to take on the responsibility of a KP down back.....if he cant run around with Westhoff then he has to be traded IMO and we get someone else.....if we have to drag Henderson down back everytime to patch up a leaky defense then we may as well forget turning up vs the better teams.

Westhoff would be too big for Everitt IMO....our man is a third tall defender not KP......

Where is '10 version of Paul Bower?

Reply #23

Truth in what you're saying EB. I guess we have to find out sooner or later if Watson's what we need.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #24

this is definitely year the year he has to show something.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #25
Murphy to step up along with Gibbs and lead the team to victory.....

Agree 100% with this and add Kreuzer as well. No Judd, no Carrazzo, Scotto in his last year, time for the new boys to step up and show they can take this team forward.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #26
Hinkley said Gray, Schulz, Carlile and Trengove are all set to be available to play. However, none have played more than 1 half this preseason & Carlile and Trengove haven't played at all. Bringing in 4 underdone players would play into our hands.
I really hope they play all of these guys. I always fear us playing half fit players. If the opposition wishes to make that error, I will not complain.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #28

Westhoff will be too mobile for Watson, so it's Henderson to the backline with Waite and the Bolt up forward.

Jamieson
Henderson
Murphy
Casboult
Waite

.......aint too bad.

Reply #29

Westhoff will be too mobile for Watson, so it's Henderson to the backline with Waite and the Bolt up forward.

Jamieson
Henderson
Murphy
Casboult
Waite

.......aint too bad.

Fair enough but do you reckon the Bolt is travelling well enough to get a game in our best 22?......the other option is Rowe who has played down back in the preseason games ....