Skip to main content
Topic: R1 vs Port Adelaide @ Etihad - Pre-Match Postulating (Read 56106 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R1 vs Port Adelaide @ Etihad - Pre-Match Postulating

Reply #30
Given Westhoff likes to float around the ground, I was thinking Walker or Everitt would be better match ups.

And it's no slight on Watson that he can't take Westhoff. I wouldn't even trust Jamo on him.

Hendo played forward in the VFL - to me that indicates mick wants Lachie as a forward.

Reply #31
Given Westhoff likes to float around the ground, I was thinking Walker or Everitt would be better match ups.

And it's no slight on Watson that he can't take Westhoff. I wouldn't even trust Jamo on him.

Hendo played forward in the VFL - to me that indicates mick wants Lachie as a forward.

Both could run off Westhoff and make him chase but I would expect the orders to Westhoff would be to drag them closer to goal as he is 199cm and would be too good in the air IMO for either Walker or Everitt.
Sam Rowe is the right size but his endurance /running power is very low unless Buttifant has worked some magic....I have the feeling Rowe might be in the 22 as insurance for both down back and forward.
Rowe played on Petrie in the NAB cup game and some believed he did well or as well as most of our backs have done on him in recent times...

Reply #32

Well I doubt he thinks he can rely on Waite and Everitt alongside an improved Watson could hold the fort all things going well. If Rowe and Casboult could assert themselves as genuine threats we wouldn't have a problem, but just like Mitchell before them I lack faith.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #33
Time has come for Watson to take on the responsibility of a KP down back.....if he cant run around with Westhoff then he has to be traded IMO and we get someone else.....if we have to drag Henderson down back everytime to patch up a leaky defense then we may as well forget turning up vs the better teams.

Westhoff would be too big for Everitt IMO....our man is a third tall defender not KP......

Westhoff will be too mobile for Watson, so it's Henderson to the backline with Waite and the Bolt up forward.

Jamieson
Henderson
Murphy
Casboult
Waite

.......aint too bad.

Fair enough but do you reckon the Bolt is travelling well enough to get a game in our best 22?......the other option is Rowe who has played down back in the preseason games ....

Unfortunately he hasn't been imposing himself on games, although I'm not sure that Tony Lockett could have done better with the delivery to the forward line over the past couple of practice matches. He has at least as many tools as Cloke, but probably not as agile and lacks that initial burst of speed that differentiates the very best forwards.

On Rowe, I just don't think he's up to the task - good skills, but he's too slow, doesn't appear overly strong in one on one contests and seems to fatigue early in games, which causes him to fumble and make poor decisions.

Reply #34

Walker is a little bit undersized and would be better suited to someone under 2m tall. Everitt, although shorter than Westhoff, would be a much better option IMO.

We could have Watson being the 3rd man up, and have Everitt locking down on Westhoff which would probably be the opposite of normal goings on.

Reply #35

Walker is a little bit undersized and would be better suited to someone under 2m tall. Everitt, although shorter than Westhoff, would be a much better option IMO.

We could have Watson being the 3rd man up, and have Everitt locking down on Westhoff which would probably be the opposite of normal goings on.

Yeah Im not opposed to Everitt going to The Hoff. Would be able to keep up on the leading side of things at least. If Westy tries to drag him deep we switch to Jamison or Watson. Watson does need to learn to play on most types, maybe become a Heath Grundy type for us. More old fashioned footballer in  looks and play. Just got to get that required urgency IMO and he's got more than last year already so I think we must play him. Can switch forward also cos if he can be good at both ends this does help us.

Reply #36
Is Everitt really a key defender?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #37

No....doesnt like body on body work....if we try and cheat with him which is our usual method to use undersized players on big KP players we will be burnt.

Reply #38

No....doesnt like body on body work....if we try and cheat with him which is our usual method to use undersized players on big KP players we will be burnt.

How good is Westhoff body on body though Elwood? He's quite slightly built and from memory prefers leading rather than the prop and cop approach? This may suit Everitt.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #39
For mine, Everett is most dangerous as a forward... the 3rd tall, playing up the ground.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #40
I think this is the conundrum for our team and Mick this year, the risk/reward of Watson back and Hendo forward. Best defense is a good offense maybe.

Sure Watson might concede 1-3 more goals than Hendo would but I think Hendo forward and the trickle on effect means we are a 5 goal better side imo. If we are fair dinkum we need go out trying to win games not going in trying to save them, thats been our mental issue for too long.

Go blues!

Reply #41

Is Westhoff really a key forward?

Both are tall, agile and use that to exploit their opponents.

There will most likely be very little body on body contests, and more chasing tail.

Reply #42

Is Westhoff really a key forward?

Both are tall, agile and use that to exploit their opponents.

There will most likely be very little body on body contests, and more chasing tail.

Would we not be better playing someone who puts him in an uncomfortable position with body contact rather than playing to his strengths? I don't see everitt beating him at his own game without help.

Reply #43

How good is Westhoff body on body though Elwood? He's quite slightly built and from memory prefers leading rather than the prop and cop approach? This may suit Everitt.

Cookie...199cm, 94kg and Port use him in the ruck so he has some nous when it comes to push and shove stuff.......he has filled out a bit since his skinny debut and I think he would be too big for Everitt if left one on one...I'd prefer Everitt monstering one of their smaller flankers down the other end.

Reply #44
Changed my mind. They are vulnerable in the back half with both personnel and match fitness.

The beauty of having a genuine swing man, is that he can swing!

Start the game off on our terms, stack the forward line Waite, Hendo, Krueser, Menzel, Garlett etc and if we have problems in our back half, make changes.

We have a number of versatile players (Hendo, Everitt, Walker, Waite, Yarran etc) who can play a number of different roles, so we shouldn't be afraid to make changes as required.

The Hoff gets off the chain, send Hendo down to rein him in.

Importantly, start off on our terms.