Skip to main content
Topic: 19hr Long Haul Flights (Read 3552 times) previous topic - next topic

19hr Long Haul Flights

I don't get the demand for these non-stop long haul flights, megalomaniacs who think their business may collapse if they are gone for a second longer than they need to be. Business managers who think stop-overs are a rort! I gather the same poor people are being made fly economy by companies on this flight, because I doubt holiday makers would pay the premium for non-stop, like the premium charged by Singapore or Cathay Pacific for non-stop. If they were on a Concorde or one of the up coming Boom supersonic flights then that is a different matter, because non-stop won't be 19hrs if they can travel that far without refuelling.

Here are my rules for dealing with long haul flights for anyone not experienced enough in travelling;

- If you flying long haul for business then fly business, if you're company won't fly you business for long haul then they are a crap company and not worth working for, don't go and find a new job! The savings are going straight into your managers bonus, even if your manager comes from some charity. Big companies usually bleat that they fly so many people they cannot afford it, but when you fly lots of people regularly you don't pay the market rates, they get business for closer to premium economy rates! Secondly, the cost is always the excuse, I recently had a owner/manager who kept cutting costs, he pulled the pin on business class saying it was too expensive, then we found out he'd discharged two full mortgages years in advance with money ripped out of the business!

- Don't get sucked into flying Qantas by default, it's controlled by British Airways, there are a myriad of great services vying for your business. If you like going to dinner at the local Chinese for dinner then try Singapore or Cathay Pacific, don't be afraid. They all fit in with my next point;

- If you are going on holiday, break your flight into two legs each not longer than 11hrs.

- If you can stop-over for 24 - 48hrs on the way through, you might be surprised what you find.

- If you can't stop-over but have a lengthy wait, treat yourself halfway. At most major airports there are any number of day spas or day hotels that might not be cheap but treat yourself anyway. You can find them all online, do not book through the travel agent to get the best rates. It's amazing how much better you'll feel at your destination.

- Keep an eye out for specials, I book well in advance, and I find that in the interim I might see some crazy good deals saving hundreds or even thousands. Do not be afraid to change your booking if such an offer arises. Beware, sometimes startlingly cheap airfares are because a stop-over destination is going through renovations or rectification, so do not get stuck in the airport, with the money you save extend and get out of there and spend a day or two!

- Leave and return mid-week, and Tuesday is usually the best days for deals because of the way airlines report and pay sales bonuses.

- On board, eat when they offer you food.

- Sleep when they dim the lights.

- Don't drink too much, a couple of small glasses with lunch and dinner is fine as long as you back it up with water.

Happy flying, from someone who has logged millions of kilometres.

PS: Upgrades
 - Airlines rarely or won't give free upgrades to flyers who book through Ted's dodgy discount ticket service or similar, those tickets have a different class allocation and you are basically persona non grata. If there a lots of standby passengers waiting for an economy seat the upgrade order is generally airline frequent flyers, full fee paying passengers who book directly with the airline, discount fee passengers who have booked directly with the airline. Some airlines will offer crazy low upgrade fees at the stop-over point or at check in counter, so it's always worth asking the question.
The Force Awakens!

Re: 19hr Long Haul Flights

Reply #1
As someone who is on holidays seldom and likes to maximise their time and use it the way I'd prefer, a long haul flight is ideal.

Travel is travel.  The shorter time frame you can do it the better.

It's got nothing to do with business.  If you can get me to europe with fewer stops and less time I'd pay more money to do it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
I've worked for over 40 years in the industry.  I did SYD LAX non stop in 1978 on a Pan Am 747 SP and that was one long flight.

Once was enough.  I always broke the journey except when I travelled first class.

The novelty soon wore off even with huge staff discounts.   

Reply #3
Best flight to Europe I ever had was Melb to Tokyo to London with one night in Tokyo at  a hotel near the airport.  Fantastic. I arrived really fresh. Don't think that's available these days or is super expensive.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #4
Best flight to Europe I ever had was Melb to Tokyo to London with one night in Tokyo at  a hotel near the airport.  Fantastic. I arrived really fresh. Don't think that's available these days or is super expensive.

Good one cookie.  I did LON to TYO via Anchorage on JAL to spend two months in Japan.  What a country !  

Reply #5
I don't get the demand for these non-stop long haul flights, megalomaniacs who think their business may collapse if they are gone for a second longer than they need to be. Business managers who think stop-overs are a rort! I gather the same poor people are being made fly economy by companies on this flight, because I doubt holiday makers would pay the premium for non-stop, like the premium charged by Singapore or Cathay Pacific for non-stop. If they were on a Concorde or one of the up coming Boom supersonic flights then that is a different matter, because non-stop won't be 19hrs if they can travel that far without refuelling.

Here are my rules for dealing with long haul flights for anyone not experienced enough in travelling;

- If you flying long haul for business then fly business, if you're company won't fly you business for long haul then they are a crap company and not worth working for, don't go and find a new job! The savings are going straight into your managers bonus, even if your manager comes from some charity. Big companies usually bleat that they fly so many people they cannot afford it, but when you fly lots of people regularly you don't pay the market rates, they get business for closer to premium economy rates! Secondly, the cost is always the excuse, I recently had a owner/manager who kept cutting costs, he pulled the pin on business class saying it was too expensive, then we found out he'd discharged two full mortgages years in advance with money ripped out of the business!

- Don't get sucked into flying Qantas by default, it's controlled by British Airways, there are a myriad of great services vying for your business. If you like going to dinner at the local Chinese for dinner then try Singapore or Cathay Pacific, don't be afraid. They all fit in with my next point;

- If you are going on holiday, break your flight into two legs each not longer than 11hrs.

- If you can stop-over for 24 - 48hrs on the way through, you might be surprised what you find.

- If you can't stop-over but have a lengthy wait, treat yourself halfway. At most major airports there are any number of day spas or day hotels that might not be cheap but treat yourself anyway. You can find them all online, do not book through the travel agent to get the best rates. It's amazing how much better you'll feel at your destination.

- Keep an eye out for specials, I book well in advance, and I find that in the interim I might see some crazy good deals saving hundreds or even thousands. Do not be afraid to change your booking if such an offer arises. Beware, sometimes startlingly cheap airfares are because a stop-over destination is going through renovations or rectification, so do not get stuck in the airport, with the money you save extend and get out of there and spend a day or two!

- Leave and return mid-week, and Tuesday is usually the best days for deals because of the way airlines report and pay sales bonuses.

- On board, eat when they offer you food.

- Sleep when they dim the lights.

- Don't drink too much, a couple of small glasses with lunch and dinner is fine as long as you back it up with water.

Happy flying, from someone who has logged millions of kilometres.

PS: Upgrades
 - Airlines rarely or won't give free upgrades to flyers who book through Ted's dodgy discount ticket service or similar, those tickets have a different class allocation and you are basically persona non grata. If there a lots of standby passengers waiting for an economy seat the upgrade order is generally airline frequent flyers, full fee paying passengers who book directly with the airline, discount fee passengers who have booked directly with the airline. Some airlines will offer crazy low upgrade fees at the stop-over point or at check in counter, so it's always worth asking the question.

Not sure how i'd go handling at straight 19hrs. I'd go crazy. I'd need something like Cathay Pacific where I could still use the internet. Only airline I've been able to do that on. Expensive at times but their service was outstanding.

13hrs is my longest when I got to San Fransisco 2 hrs before I left! Was able to give my hosts "today's" H-Sun...lol.

Reply #6

Had an overnight 19hr stopover in Vancouver once where I stayed with the father of an Olympic racewalker, who medalled at the recent world champs. I would've been nice and fresh, except me made me drink lots of beer..lol.

Reply #7
Had an overnight 19hr stopover in Vancouver once where I stayed with the father of an Olympic racewalker, who medalled at the recent world champs. I would've been nice and fresh, except me made me drink lots of beer..lol.

I was with my late wife so we had dinner and were in bed at a "respectable " hour.  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
I was with my late wife so we had dinner and were in bed at a "respectable " hour.  :)

I was in bed at a reasonably "respectable" hour, just that I got there late morning...lol.

Reply #9
Given I'll probably never be able to afford first or business class, I can't think of anything worse than a 19hr flight. Best economy international flight I've had was with Air New Zealand to LA. Where possible, I'd fly with them in future too.

Reply #10
Given I'll probably never be able to afford first or business class, I can't think of anything worse than a 19hr flight. Best economy international flight I've had was with Air New Zealand to LA. Where possible, I'd fly with them in future too.

Nothing to worry about, most of us cannot afford business class and it's generally loaded with employees of companies. But keep in mind if you are ever tempted to fork out for Premium Economy you might find a cheap business class deal that will deliver far more bang for buck!

btw., For people who book discount Business or Premium Economy class, there is a nasty catch. Airlines overbook flights because on average a certain percentage of customers don't role up for their flight with last minute changes. But if on the very odd occasion everyone does role up, I've heard incidents were people paying for discount Business or Premium Economy fares get bumped down a class. It's rare but it does happen, and it's in the fine print. You still get to your destination, that is all they guarantee!

I know it's completely unfair, like booking a Rolls Royce for your wedding and having a Toyota Cressida roll up, but fundamentally to the airline you just a piece of cargo with a delivery. Oh, they'll tell you that your special, we all are! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
The old Air Jamaica only had two classes.." smokin" and "more smokin"..... O0 8)

Reply #14
I'm doing the Melb-Perth-London flight next week - 4 hrs Mel-Per, then 17.5 hrs Per-Lon, in cattle class.

On one of the Dreamliners, so the latest and greatest.  Personally, I'm excited about getting there in under 24 hours.

I'll fill you all in about the plusses and minuses when I get back.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?