Skip to main content
Topic: Rd. 5 - Pre Game Thread - Blues V Dockers (Read 50484 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd. 5 - Pre Game Thread - Blues V Dockers

Reply #75
After seeing the extended side, my guess would be Jones in, Buckley out, Buckley, White and Jammo as the emergencies.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #76
Hopefully the emergencies are Kreuzer, Jamison and White.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #77
Read we are 18th for overall clearances and similar for centre clearances.....thats not good when most of us rate our mids as one of our few positives, impossible to win games with those stats.....Cripps is being rotation tagged every game and its exposing the rest of our mids as nothing more than free wheelers who wont get the hard ball...

Reply #78
Read we are 18th for overall clearances and similar for centre clearances.....thats not good when most of us rate our mids as one of our few positives, impossible to win games with those stats.....Cripps is being rotation tagged every game and its exposing the rest of our mids as nothing more than free wheelers who wont get the hard ball...

Clearances were one of our few strengths last year too.

Reply #79
With Rowe, Weitering and Plowman in defence you assume Jamison and White won't play.  You'd assume Touhy and Jones will play. Leaves Buckley, Graham or Kreuzer. Do we want the extra tall, compared to other weeks, with Jones in the team, or drop one of the smalls. I like Kreuzer but he's badly out of form so at Subi I don't mind the extra run with the two smalls. I'm thinking the selection committee will still go with Kreuzer though.

Reply #80

Which is why we need to ditch Jibbs and Furphy, the AFL version of remoras, trying to hitch a free ride on Crippas back, like they did on Judd and Carrazzo for all those years.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #81
Which is why we need to ditch Jibbs and Furphy, the AFL version of remoras, trying to hitch a free ride on Crippas back, like they did on Judd and Carrazzo for all those years.

All teams have inside and outside players, our problem is we haven't had a good midfield coach since Ratten got the chop!

We don't even set up correctly at the bounce. Phillips get a free hand to the ball and taps it right, Kreuzer has stopped cracking in, I assume because they are leaving it all to Cripps. Nothing I have seen so far this season gives me any confidence. There are U12s with better structures.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #82
All teams have inside and outside players, our problem is we haven't had a good midfield coach since Ratten got the chop!

We don't even set up correctly at the bounce.

But Murph is tough in and under according to Bolts! LOL.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #84

18th for clearances and 18th for tackles in the AFL.

Cripps is 1st for clearances and 4th for tackles in the AFL.

Bloke needs support.

Reply #85
18th for clearances and 18th for tackles in the AFL.

Cripps is 1st for clearances and 4th for tackles in the AFL.

Bloke needs support.

Agree....As Carrots suggested...Gibbs and Murphy are passengers in the middle.....

Reply #86

We don't even set up correctly at the bounce. Phillips get a free hand to the ball and taps it right, Kreuzer has stopped cracking in, I assume because they are leaving it all to Cripps. Nothing I have seen so far this season gives me any confidence. There are U12s with better structures.
I actually think Laidley did a good job with the midfield last season, especially when we had some fit players to move through it. We did quite well at getting clearances, even when we weren't winning the ruck. We were not perfect - we really got smashed a couple of times - and we didn't make a lot of those clearances, but we managed to get good numbers.

At the moment, Bolton and his crew have made significant changes to how our midfield operates. When we finally work it and get it right, it should be as effective as Hawthorn's and it really does offer the opportunity for good inside 50 entries. Last year we went via the cape most of the time.

Ratten would be useful as a midfield coach, as he did make some significant progress with what turned out to be a very average bunch of mids (not including Judd). However ..... :)

I don't think our midfield will get close to its potential until we find or develop a top ruckman. At the moment, we are not tapping to the advantage of our mids enough. Kreuzer, in particular, rarely get a really clean tap. Phillips is learning and improving. He is better at getting cleaner taps when he gets them, through his leap. Kreuzer hasn't been able to out jump or out muscle his opponents.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #87
Agree....As Carrots suggested...Gibbs and Murphy are passengers in the middle.....
I wouldn't call them 'passengers' yet, but they certainly have NOT fit their game to our new centre system (and visa versa).
I noted especially against the Suns (as I saw the game on TV and looked back later to make sure I wasn't seeing things), a little less so against the Dogs (not as good a view and Murphy wasn't even in the centre that much in that game), that both Gibbs and Murphy were getting the ball, but being either tackled and losing it, or being picked off as they handball to where they appear programmed to think our other mids should be. Our other mids were not where they were handballing it: it usually went directly to Hall or Ablett and the Suns got a pretty good clearance as a result. The Dogs smothered Gibbs and ran the ball out easily.
To be honest, I don't think Graham has been effective in this area either. Last year he was MUCH better at getting clearances and making tackles in the middle. In the pre-season he was our most effective mid, but even then he got a lot of clearances under pressure.
Clearly the opposition was reading our structure better than we were: result, few clearances. I was not surprised to read that we are 18th at the moment.

On the other hand Cripps has not been as effective in the centre square this year either. For one, he gets more attention. Secondly, I think he is also not in sync with our new midfield structure yet either. There have been times when he has ended up trying to chase fast guys - a losing proposition for him.
However, he has really been good around the ground, at ball ups and throw ins. In some ways he has been using his strength and class to get the clearance on his own. And he certainly wills himself to get the ball, much like Judd did a few years back. I am not surprised he is 4th in the competition for clearances: he has been getting the vast majority of ours.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #88
I wouldn't call them 'passengers' yet, but they certainly have NOT fit their game to our new centre system (and visa versa).
I noted especially against the Suns (as I saw the game on TV and looked back later to make sure I wasn't seeing things), a little less so against the Dogs (not as good a view and Murphy wasn't even in the centre that much in that game), that both Gibbs and Murphy were getting the ball, but being either tackled and losing it, or being picked off as they handball to where they appear programmed to think our other mids should be. Our other mids were not where they were handballing it: it usually went directly to Hall or Ablett and the Suns got a pretty good clearance as a result. The Dogs smothered Gibbs and ran the ball out easily.
To be honest, I don't think Graham has been effective in this area either. Last year he was MUCH better at getting clearances and making tackles in the middle. In the pre-season he was our most effective mid, but even then he got a lot of clearances under pressure.
Clearly the opposition was reading our structure better than we were: result, few clearances. I was not surprised to read that we are 18th at the moment.

On the other hand Cripps has not been as effective in the centre square this year either. For one, he gets more attention. Secondly, I think he is also not in sync with our new midfield structure yet either. There have been times when he has ended up trying to chase fast guys - a losing proposition for him.
However, he has really been good around the ground, at ball ups and throw ins. In some ways he has been using his strength and class to get the clearance on his own. And he certainly wills himself to get the ball, much like Judd did a few years back. I am not surprised he is 4th in the competition for clearances: he has been getting the vast majority of ours.

18th in overall clearances and in centre clearances points the finger at every other mid bar Cripps and that poor kid is being worked over each week by 2-3 players........
Graham isnt intense or strong enough IMO...Gibbs and Murphy are not true in and under IMO....we need another big mid who can get the footy and farm it out to the likes of Gibbs and Murphy....
Notice we have been using Wright more at stoppages to try and win some hard ball which tell me the coach knows whats happening...

Reply #89
Last year we were dominating the contested ball and clearances and we still got smashed.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!