Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 29812 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #180
We won’t be defined by Ws and Ls  ;)

I had to meet a bloke at North Shore at 7 this morning to pick up some corrugated iron.  On the drive back, I switched the wireless to SEN just in time to hear Garry, Timmy and Nick talk about our game.  They were all in furious agreement that we are on the improve and the wins will come.  They also heaped praise on our midfield for matching the Pies’ mob.  That reminded me of a pre-season discussion in which it was suggested that we were about three years behind Collingwood’s midfield.  Guess what? We’ve caught up  :)

While we may not have the Ws we would like, our Ls have been close and, except for the North debacle, we aren’t experiencing the blowout losses that eventually cost Ratts his job.

I'm actually finding the media sympathy and platitudes difficult to stomach. So much love. So many words of encouragement from former snarlers. All the nice words and associated fluff in the world will not replace actually winning. And none of these people actually really care or are invested in our success like we are... a comfortable position to be in. Less luvvy duvvy please. There is a little solace in experts seeing improvement, we like that... better than the alternative.

Bottom line, we continue to lose... yes, we now lose with bouquets and sweet fragrances but we still lose.

And I guess there will always be those who are okay with honourable and honest loses. Then there will always be those who are only okay with wins and finals. I'm in the latter camp.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #181
I believe in the conspiracy theory!
The theory that the AFL will do whatever it can to keep us down for as long as possible.
They brought in Free Agency to keep the good teams up.
They introduced the Runner rule which effects young teams.
They are influencing the umps.
etc...
How can a 24-8 free kick count not be questioned? :o

I am sure the AFL would love a very successful CFC. Bigger crowds and increased ratings means more loot. AFL happier.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #182
This. x 1 million.
I thought that bar the last 5 minutes, where our guys looked broken once Collingwood got more than a goal in front, we were the better side. Deserved a win, but obviously the AFL had decreed differently, and they had instructed the umps to make it happen.
24-8 free kick count is putrid, and just doesnt happen legitimately at this level of footy.

We are just not putting sides away when we play well, we're still lacking the finishing we need to top off our periods of dominance. We keep scrapping up a goal or two lead when we should be 5 or 7 goals ahead!

As for the frees, it can only be explained by a bias, but is it a conscious or subconscious bias? I'd say it's subconscious, the umpires favor the name players, they always have and they always will! So if that assertion is true it suggests the free kick count will be yet another unwanted by-product of our scorched earth list policy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #183
We are just not putting sides away when we play well, we're still lacking the finishing we need to top off our periods of dominance. We keep scrapping up a goal or two lead when we should be 5 or 7 goals ahead!

As for the frees, it can only be explained by a bias, but is it a conscious or subconscious bias? I'd say it's subconscious, the umpires favor the name players, they always have and they always will! So if that assertion is true it suggests the free kick count will be yet another unwanted by-product of our scorched earth list policy!

Correct, its not about the end of the games, its about us not piling on enough goals when we have momentum and are controlling play.
We dominated Hawthorn for example but could only get 5-6 goals up when we had the game on our terms and that isnt enough vs half decent teams
to finish them off when you have another half of footy to go.

Reply #184

Every other team screams for free kicks when they think they should get them, we don't. They do it to get the umpires thinking they might have made a mistake.

Every other team give away a few free's in the forward half, knowing only a certain number of free's will get called. Better away from the oppositions goals.

Every other team smashes our defenders, providing a massive path for their team mate, knowing the free is rarely given. We don't do this enough.

It is coaching 101. Clarkson is all over it, so is Hardwick.

A few goals difference in a game and all of a sudden you have W not an L

Reply #185
Correct, its not about the end of the games, its about us not piling on enough goals when we have momentum and are controlling play.
We dominated Hawthorn for example but could only get 5-6 goals up when we had the game on our terms and that isnt enough vs half decent teams
to finish them off when you have another half of footy to go.

Yep, when commentators like Matthews, Parkin and Carey keep saying this, I realise to some Carey is a ^$#^&@^&, but when he talks football fans should listen.

The last few weeks I keep hearing them say things like we should be "at least 5 goals up" when we are only a few points up! I expect that but sometimes I reserve my own opinion as it's clearly biased, so when I start hearing others say it perhaps it's time to listen!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #186
It is coaching 101. Clarkson is all over it, so is Hardwick.

It's nothing to do with coaches, it's player and player experience.

Do you think it's a coached behavior when you watch "Kung Fu Xiao Shifu Karate Wizard" spend 80% of his game time running around begging towards the umpires like a starving dog? I'm dead-set surprised he hasn't claimed he was bitten when his elbow hit his opponent in the face! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #187
Watched the game on reply and noticed a few things I missed at the game.  Jack is a better player then i gave him credit for.  He is very smart with ball in hand even under pressure, always gives a contest brings the ball to ground regardless how poorly the ball is delivered to him.  He was directly and indirectly involved in a high number of our scores and is now an important mid sized forward in our line up. No longer a depth player IMO.

Cunningham is developing and has something special about him I reckon... could turn out to be the best kid we have.  Has one thing none of our kids have 'breakaway speed'. Love the way he side steps at speed and has clean skills for a kid and is a very good kick for goal. Can take a hit too - DeGoery smashed him in a hard bump and I held my breath for a sec but he didn't even flinch.

Cant wait to see him with another 25-30 games uninterrupted under his belt....will be a serious player.

Reply #188
Aye, Cuners looks classy - one of those that always has time....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #189
Agree, Cunningham has great speed and can kick a goal.

Simply needs to get on the park.
Has only played 20 games in his fourth year.

He is short 40-50 games of experience.

Reply #190
We just need the likes of Cuners, SOJ, SPS et al. to perform well on a consistent basis.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #191
 I thought our forward line functioned thr best it has all year. We really need a couple of hungry half forwards to really  finish it off. I also thought that there was more mid field cohesion. Our defensive structures are sound and the commitment to the contest was good. I am not sure what happened last week. If we play like this every week then the wheel will turn, and when it does, I will be looking to even up for all the crap that I and Carlton has had to put up with over the past few years.

Reply #192
I thought our forward line functioned thr best it has all year. We really need a couple of hungry half forwards to really  finish it off. I also thought that there was more mid field cohesion. Our defensive structures are sound and the commitment to the contest was good. I am not sure what happened last week. If we play like this every week then the wheel will turn, and when it does, I will be looking to even up for all the crap that I and Carlton has had to put up with over the past few years.

years or decades?  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #193
Cunningham and SOS are both very clever footballers. They played particularly well with each other on the weekend. Frequently setting each other up.

Cunningham (as I've said) makes us a 5 goal better team when he's playing and we give him half a chance.

Reply #194
Cunningham and SOS are both very clever footballers. They played particularly well with each other on the weekend. Frequently setting each other up.

Cunningham (as I've said) makes us a 5 goal better team when he's playing and we give him half a chance.

Yep he's surprised this year.

To compete with the pies, we need Cunningham, SPS, Setterfield, Dow and Walsh getting 25-30 each.
Collingwood had 3 players get 34.
7 of their mids had 23 or more. 5 of that 7 kicked 1 or more goals.
That is a very serious contribution.