Skip to main content
Topic: R8 - Blues vs Saints (Monday night mauling?) (Read 56048 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R8 - Blues vs Saints (Monday night mauling?)

Reply #45
Guys who have a crack are okay but as Hulme showed us, they don't end up getting you anywhere.

Menzel starts sub and I will seriously consider boycotting...

Reply #46
Geary out, Saints will have to find someone else to kick and stamp on Murphy.

Reply #47
Guys who have a crack are okay but as Hulme showed us, they don't end up getting you anywhere.

You cannot use a bloke like Hulme who was a 175cm on-baller and must contest 100+ stoppages a game, to blokes like Rowe or White who probably get two dozen direct contests to influence in a whole match.

In the last few weeks Rowe has been on some of the leagues very best forwards and so far I haven't seen anyone clearly stitching him up, certainly no more than they do anybody else!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48

You cannot use a bloke like Hulme who was a 175cm on-baller and must contest 100+ stoppages a game, to blokes like Rowe or White who probably get two dozen direct contests to influence in a whole match.

In the last few weeks Rowe has been on some of the leagues very best forwards and so far I haven't seen anyone clearly stitching him up, certainly no more than they do anybody else!

Agree with that.  I think they do really well in contesting and marking contests, but their biggest weakness is ball use.  They attack the contest hard, and Rowe particularly has spoiled many opponents, whilst White has stitched up a couple that normally do some damage against us, and they have both performed reasonably well on the defensive side of their games.  Offensively is another story, but I cant really remember how long its been since we had a few blokes in our backline that you could park on an opposition forward and be comfortable knowing that they wont really get off the leash and these two are starting to provied that for us.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #49
I reckon Rowe has been ok... i thought he was better this week than last week. He has been able to compete in the air. Absolute Mick Martyn levels of panic when the ball hits the deck, but a bit of composure might come with more game time.

Reply #50
I reckon Rowe has been ok... i thought he was better this week than last week. He has been able to compete in the air. Absolute Mick Martyn levels of panic when the ball hits the deck, but a bit of composure might come with more game time.

In fairness to Rowe he is definitely still learning the caper as a defender at AFL level. Despite a few heart in mouth moments he has done OK, bearing in mind our stocks are very thin. I hate to see blokes who are forced to play a new and unfamiliar role being crucified when they make the occasional inevitable mistake. CFC unfortunately have, as I have oft pointed out, a history of this.

More game time may see him get better and develop into a useful backup type player at least in the medium term.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #51
Try This For Size:

Buckley    Jamison    O'Dougherty
White     Waite    Yarran
Simpson    Gibbs    Thomas
Armfield    Henderson    Menzel
Cripps    Casboult    Everitt

Warnock
McLean
Murphy

Inter:   Graham, Walker, Robinson, Touy

Out:  Rowe, Bell, Garlett, Lucas, Scotland
In:    Waite, Yarran, Armfield, Cripps, Graham

Who the hell is O'Dougherty??? My god, it's not even remotely close to Docherty. Who the hell is Touy? You are a Carlton supporter right?

Nah......an English teacher who has an eye for detail. ;)

Reply #52

In fairness to Rowe he is definitely still learning the caper as a defender at AFL level. Despite a few heart in mouth moments he has done OK, bearing in mind our stocks are very thin. I hate to see blokes who are forced to play a new and unfamiliar role being crucified when they make the occasional inevitable mistake. CFC unfortunately have, as I have oft pointed out, a history of this.

More game time may see him get better and develop into a useful backup type player at least in the medium term.

Didn't we kill of Luke Livingston this way, by playing him back all the time? I thought he always played and moved like a forward, but was never played there for any length of time.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #53
Agree with that.  I think they do really well in contesting and marking contests, but their biggest weakness is ball use.  They attack the contest hard, and Rowe particularly has spoiled many opponents, whilst White has stitched up a couple that normally do some damage against us, and they have both performed reasonably well on the defensive side of their games.  Offensively is another story, but I cant really remember how long its been since we had a few blokes in our backline that you could park on an opposition forward and be comfortable knowing that they wont really get off the leash and these two are starting to provied that for us.

Agree about the ball use, but they are not alone in our side in this regard.

In fairness, I think you would find a lot of people saying the same thing about Gibson or Lake if they were forced to kick more. It's the lack of quality ball users around Rowe and White that makes them look worse than they really are! Edit: And the lack of blokes working hard to get back and crumb as well, Dawks always seem to have two or three!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
I hope we dont lose  to the Aints >:( surely we can beat those pathetic no hopers who rely on their 3 old stages to get them through.I wouldnt want to work on the switchboard at Carlton on Tuesday if we lose  :-[ 

Reply #55
O'Rowe and O'White are stop gaps for this season and will continue to get games as O'Watson, O'Bootsma and O' McInnes are not up to it.....the former both have a crack and follow coaches instructions to the best of their ability...problme being those abilities are limited.
O'Giles is a rebounding defender along the lines of O'McCarthy and will need to harden up to play senior footy and put some kegs on that frame of his.

Reply #56
O'Rowe and O'White are stop gaps for this season and will continue to get games as O'Watson, O'Bootsma and O' McInnes are not up to it.....the former both have a crack and follow coaches instructions to the best of their ability...problme being those abilities are limited.
O'Giles is a rebounding defender along the lines of O'McCarthy and will need to harden up to play senior footy and put some kegs on that frame of his.

O'crap!

That looks so bad when you read it.

Pity McInnes busted his knee, don't reckon he's been the same since.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #57
O'crap!

Stock standard for some players to take almost two full seasons to overcome that sort of injury.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
O'crap!

Stock standard for some players to take almost two full seasons to overcome that sort of injury.
I though he he showed quite a bit of potential pre-knee. I think I even said I saw a potential future captain (shoot me now). He has gone backwards since the knee, he has time on his side, perhaps he needs to get his confidence back in it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #59
These Monday night games are usually our undoing.
A good start and I think Saints heads will drop.
Give them a sniff though, and we're doomed.
The fact that we go into a game against a side whose just been pummelled by 145 points, and still are unsure as to if we re going to win or not, shows just how sad of a Club we are right now.