Skip to main content
Topic: Our guys always take a peek (Read 4427 times) previous topic - next topic

Our guys always take a peek

Was close to boundary line on Members wing last Sat nights debacle.... couldn't help but notice close up Murphy and Gibbs always take a split second peek upwards at the oncoming hit..than they fumble and get off an ineffectual pass or turnover...I call that soft and maybe Murphy's facial injuries have brought that into his game....harden up Princess's don't see Selwood,Hodge,Bolton etc doing that.

Also something I harped on 2 years back and drives me crazy...why do our Ruckman Kreuzer/Warnock etc always stare at the opposition ruck man at the ball-up...is Capuano teaching this? Surely they should be focussing on the ball and using peripheral vision to spot the CFC target and get an effectual tap...maybe I am missing something eh?

Re: Our guys always take a peek

Reply #1
Gibbs and Murphy are the masters of the peek.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #2
I have been critical of Murphy in his role as captain but I'm not prepared to call him out over being soft...he is a little bloke who has had a broken jaw, received little in the way of blocks, screens etc and you would be having a second look the way he has been targeted by opposing teams.
Murphy needs some bigger units around him who can offer some protection and take care ofthe snipers to give him confidence.....

Gibbs is capable of taking a bump but like Yarran picks and chooses his moments and being a bigger body than Murphy should be contesting harder....

Reply #3
Murphy has been carrying injuries most of the season, had an interrupted pre-season and has had the added burden of the Captaincy without much support by way of numbers of games played from our senior midfielders. He WILL be OK.  ;)

Reply #4
Bell looks like he has started riding shotgun for our midfield, probably under instruction. He laid a big hit in each of the last 2 games. He is very well equipped for this task without doubt.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
Bell looks like he has started riding shotgun for our midfield, probably under instruction. He laid a big hit in each of the last 2 games. He is very well equipped for this task without doubt.

Cookie...I like Tom Bell but he seems to have difficulty multi- tasking....he will stick with his man ie Zaharikis but doesnt block at stoppages...or he blocks but doesnt stick with his man.
You tell him to bump and he tries to bump players that he should be tackling....it was sadly amusing watching him trying to bump players that he should be tackling and looking very awkward doing it.
He did this last year too and hasnt learned....he has potential but needs to start learning and being able to make better decisions...

Reply #6

Cookie...I like Tom Bell but he seems to have difficulty multi- tasking....he will stick with his man ie Zaharikis but doesnt block at stoppages...or he blocks but doesnt stick with his man.
You tell him to bump and he tries to bump players that he should be tackling....it was sadly amusing watching him trying to bump players that he should be tackling and looking very awkward doing it.
He did this last year too and hasnt learned....he has potential but needs to start learning and being able to make better decisions...

Bell has the ingredients. where he ends up will be determined by the quality of the coaching dept

Reply #7

Excellent post EB1 - wonderfully summed up. Thought he was rubbish early in the game, but then he turned it around almost single-handedly got us back on track in the 3rd.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #8

Bell has the ingredients. where he ends up will be determined by the quality of the coaching dept

Yes well that's up to MM I suppose, to insist on putting his own coaching team into place and spelling out what he wants from the players.

Reply #9

Yes well that's up to MM I suppose, to insist on putting his own coaching team into place and spelling out what he wants from the players.

not just MM, but the assistants - the kid can play, just needs expert guidance and know what his role will be

Reply #10

not just MM, but the assistants - the kid can play, just needs expert guidance and know what his role will be

Spot on thru - he's got the tools, just needs the guidance to refine & utilise them more often. If they stick with him, I reckon we'll be nicely rewarded.....sooner, rather than later.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #11
@TTB
I think we are saying the same thing TTB.  8)