Skip to main content
Topic: Leadership Group 2018 (Read 34427 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Leadership Group 2018

Reply #15
I'll agree to disagree DJ.....IMO the next captain will be out of our two best players which are Docherty and Cripps, along with Murphy they are the two most marketed players and
who the club hierarchy would want as skipper....IMO.

From Big Nick, Jezza, through to Fitzpatrick, Sticks, Kouta, Judd its been a big name player who gets the job for any decent period of time.......

Even at Hawthorn where Bolton learned his trade it was Mitchell briefly before handing over to another big name in Hodge, Richie Vandenberg filled in for 2-3 years when another star in Crawford retired but he was clearly a fill in and handpicked by Clarkson. I'd be very surprised if Bolton doesnt have a large say in who gets the job...
I just cant see us with a Nick Maxwell, Tom Harley..a Mr Average player type who is a factional/club neutral player with some media nous...
If we did go that way it would be a short term appointment only IMO until one of the more prominent players was ready....

It may well be Cripps or Docherty EB, but not because they are our most marketable players.

Bolton and Anthony Klarica have made big changes to our leadership program and they may have unearthed several blokes with the attributes to be good leaders over the next few seasons. 

I suspect that we have seen the last of the long term captains and we will now see the best skipper appointed each season.

I may be completely off track with this, but I'm pretty sure that Bolton has applied the same rigour to the captaincy as he has to other aspects of our footy department.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
I don't actually think players are best placed to understand what a great leader is. The club need to identify and as in most fields it is likely often not going to be the best player.
It is going to be the person prepared to sacrifice for the team, the player prepared to be unpopular with peers if there is a need to be unpopular and pull people into line.
A PERFECT example to me of a really great captain was Roy Keane at Manchester United. Now he was a prick of a bloke, but he would not for one second hesitate in settings his demands even with the marquee players at the club and they wouldn't dare fall out of line.
Rio Ferdinand once told how at training he passed the ball back to Gary Neville a teammate in the training drill when Roy Keane had a go and informed him he was at Manchester United now, not Leeds or West Ham and expectations were different. Now Rio Ferdinand had just signed on as the most expensive transfer for a defender in the world at that stage, but that didn't stop Keane letting him know if he wasn't meeting expectations.

Now you don't need to be a prick at all to be a good leader, in fact once you have the trust of the team that you are pulling them up for the good of the team, you can have them back a player to the hilts, but you must always be ready to support the wins, but every bit as importantly.. call out the failures.

From the outside I think Curnow would do that.. I for sure think Doc would do that.
I am not 100% sure Murphy does that.. He might.. I am not in there, but I am not 100% sure he does.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #17

From Big Nick, Jezza, through to Fitzpatrick, Sticks, Kouta, Judd its been a big name player who gets the job for any decent period of time.......

Fair names their, they were all "big name players" for a reason, that being they were all f----- good.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #18
AFAIC great leaders excel at following a strong plan/formula and leading players along that same path. That is what was behind the success of the Hawks imo and probably the Tigers and Dogs successes more recently. The Hawks were the most obvious example in recent years and you could watch Hodge directing the troops, with the likes of Mitchell and Lewis backing him up. The ability to stay focused on that plan/formula is the first essential and to drum that into every player on the ground. I'm sure this will be what BB will be seeking and it's going to be interesting to see this year.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #19
I don't actually think players are best placed to understand what a great leader is. The club need to identify and as in most fields it is likely often not going to be the best player.
It is going to be the person prepared to sacrifice for the team, the player prepared to be unpopular with peers if there is a need to be unpopular and pull people into line.
A PERFECT example to me of a really great captain was Roy Keane at Manchester United. Now he was a prick of a bloke, but he would not for one second hesitate in settings his demands even with the marquee players at the club and they wouldn't dare fall out of line.
Rio Ferdinand once told how at training he passed the ball back to Gary Neville a teammate in the training drill when Roy Keane had a go and informed him he was at Manchester United now, not Leeds or West Ham and expectations were different. Now Rio Ferdinand had just signed on as the most expensive transfer for a defender in the world at that stage, but that didn't stop Keane letting him know if he wasn't meeting expectations.

Now you don't need to be a prick at all to be a good leader, in fact once you have the trust of the team that you are pulling them up for the good of the team, you can have them back a player to the hilts, but you must always be ready to support the wins, but every bit as importantly.. call out the failures.

From the outside I think Curnow would do that.. I for sure think Doc would do that.
I am not 100% sure Murphy does that.. He might.. I am not in there, but I am not 100% sure he does.

I suspect that they are slightly better placed than we are  ;)

I was interested in the following sentence from the Bri Davey captaincy announcement:

After undertaking an extensive process involving coaches, players and key leaders at the Club, the new-look three-player leadership group has been established in the second AFLW pre-season campaign.

From what I have seen/read, the men's team will go through a similar process this year, as they have done each year since Bolton's arrival.  I suspect it's a little more involved than "Put your hands up if you want Murph for captain".

Leadership was one area where we seemed to be sadly lacking.  It looks like we have turned that around but there's still a way to go.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
I suspect that they are slightly better placed than we are  ;)

Well yes I agree that they would know more about who has the better temperament for captaining the club than we do, but whether they have more of an idea of what is required of a leader, that is another story.

The problem with players picking a leader, is they are very likely to pick based on 3 things... football ability,  how good a bloke they are & maturity/seniority Why wouldn't they? They are a bunch of young guys who would never have been in a position to understand leadership responsibilities to any high level, why would they really pick based on anything else?

I am not suggesting anyone on the forum really has anywhere near the insight into the individuals to be able to select a captain based on anything more than a 'gut feel', which simply isn't enough. I wasn't saying forum members should pick the captain, I was only suggesting players shouldn't.

The requirements of leaders is similar across all fields, sports, business, military the works. And all of those entities look to similar organsations/courses/teachings to help build leadership skills within their ranks. The specifics are so obviously different, but many of he core human requirements are the same
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #21
Well yes I agree that they would know more about who has the better temperament for captaining the club than we do, but whether they have more of an idea of what is required of a leader, that is another story.

The problem with players picking a leader, is they are very likely to pick based on 3 things... football ability,  how good a bloke they are & maturity/seniority Why wouldn't they? They are a bunch of young guys who would never have been in a position to understand leadership responsibilities to any high level, why would they really pick based on anything else?

I am not suggesting anyone on the forum really has anywhere near the insight into the individuals to be able to select a captain based on anything more than a 'gut feel', which simply isn't enough. I wasn't saying forum members should pick the captain, I was only suggesting players shouldn't.

The requirements of leaders is similar across all fields, sports, business, military the works. And all of those entities look to similar organsations/courses/teachings to help build leadership skills within their ranks. The specifics are so obviously different, but many of he core human requirements are the same

I'm reminded of the time my school's forms 5 and 6 students voted for prefects and a certain DJC got the most votes.  Did he become a prefect?  No way!

However, I think that AFL footballers are much better prepared to make good decisions about their club's leaders.  I think that is particularly the case at our club now that we have placed such an emphasis on leadership and leadership development.  Even the newest players talk about leaders and leadership in their interview.  Yes, they may have scripted responses but I like to think that at least some of their answers are spontaneous.

In any case, the players' opinions about the best leaders are only one of the factors that are considered before a captain is appointed ... and marketability, as EB suggested, could be one too.  If so, I reckon Bolton would only be swayed from his choice if it was a line ball decision.

Reply #22
I think where DJC and MIO are on different wavelengths is to do with interpretation.

MIO (quite rightly) is stating, that the players are not the best people (usually) to appoint a club captain based on outside perceptions of how things run (i.e. someone like Fevola can become a club captain if the players cast deciding votes) and I agree that blokes just finding their feet in a new team are likely to be ill equipped to be in a position to select the best captain unless they have a good understanding of how the role works.

DJC is stating that the boys understand their expectations much better these days and are better equipped than the average player to understand the role of captain, whats required and would then make a better selection than MIO thinks they will.

Both are probably on the right track where MIO and DJC are making fair points that need to be considered, and this is why the club would have "captains elect" for the role, where they choose the proposed candidates and then allow the group to choose from the candidates proposed who meet certain criteria of XYZ for leadership roles, knowing that they cannot fork up that selection as the best candidates are the only ones proposed.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
Are the playing group as a whole capable of picking the best captain or would some vote instead for the most popular player, would a 1st year, 2 year player have the information base to make that decision?

Reply #24
Are the playing group as a whole capable of picking the best captain or would some vote instead for the most popular player, would a 1st year, 2 year player have the information base to make that decision?

Fair points Elwood.

Reply #25
Both are probably on the right track where MIO and DJC are making fair points that need to be considered, and this is why the club would have "captains elect" for the role, where they choose the proposed candidates and then allow the group to choose from the candidates proposed who meet certain criteria of XYZ for leadership roles, knowing that they cannot fork up that selection as the best candidates are the only ones proposed.

You may be right about "captains elect" but I'm sure that the club doesn't just fall into line with the players' votes.  It will be an important factor, as will the leadership testing, but you can bet that Bolts and co have the final say.

Reply #26
BB will want to be sure that his game plan and coaching directives are strictly and effectively followed and that is the job of the leadership group both on and off the field. He will undoubtedly have a strong say in its makeup no matter who the players may want or nominate.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #27
I think where DJC and MIO are on different wavelengths is to do with interpretation.

MIO (quite rightly) is stating, that the players are not the best people (usually) to appoint a club captain based on outside perceptions of how things run (i.e. someone like Fevola can become a club captain if the players cast deciding votes) and I agree that blokes just finding their feet in a new team are likely to be ill equipped to be in a position to select the best captain unless they have a good understanding of how the role works.

DJC is stating that the boys understand their expectations much better these days and are better equipped than the average player to understand the role of captain, whats required and would then make a better selection than MIO thinks they will.

The coach ultimately decides who should be captain as he is the one that mirrors what the coach wants/expects from the game.

Perfect example was Nick Maxwell. Nobody would have picked him, be that players, media or supporters, but it made sense....and worked.

Reply #28
The coach ultimately decides who should be captain as he is the one that mirrors what the coach wants/expects from the game.

Perfect example was Nick Maxwell. Nobody would have picked him, be that players, media or supporters, but it made sense....and worked.

Which I guess means that Mick and Bolts both want / wanted Murph as captain.

Reply #29

Exactly. Hence why I never quite get it why so many of us arm chair critics say Murphy is not 'tough enough' to be captain and we should have player A player B etc casue they would be better at it then Murphy.

The guy is entering his 6th year as captain and has held it under 3 coaches.......with 40 players on the list he must be ok at the job despite what us supporters say at times.

Being a small framed player i think he cops it unfairly a bit when we are struggling and is an easy target but at the end of the day the players and coaches who see 40 players nearly every day have selected him over the past 5 years and they must know more about it then us who watch for 2 hours on game day.