Skip to main content
Topic: R2 Richmond V Carlton - Prematch (Read 68463 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R2 Richmond V Carlton - Prematch

Reply #60
Need to be careful with Cripps and not expect too much, watched him pick up Dangerfield I think it was in the NAB cup game in the last quarter and he doesnt have the nous yet to be lining up on Cotchin,Martin or Deledio in the middle.
I would start him as the sub if he played and let him have a look and get the pace of the game...he will be a great player but will get carved up if we start him on good players..

re: Yarran in the middle.....as the receiver why not?....if the other mids can get him the footy he might be give you 10 minutes of brilliniance that change the game....you wouldnt do it all the time but everynow and then its worth a shot IMO..

Would also educate and round his game off a bit and make him a better player....

I agree, this is the coaches job isn't it, to manage these situations and have players develop?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #61
IN: Graham, Scotland, Wood
OUT: Walker, McInnes, Kreuzer

Keys:
Marc Murphy - Dan Jackson is doubtful and will be underdone if he does play. Murphy won't have to deal with their number 1 tagger and needs to have a good game.
Chris Yarran - Needs to play off half back in Walker's spot and provide some run from there

Jamison on Riewoldt, Henderson on Vickery and Watson on Griffiths/Hampson.

With this forward setup...

HF: Thomas, Everitt, Garlett
FF:   Ellard,   Waite,   Wood

IMO

Reply #62
I'd be rolling Chris Yarran through there and getting some spark - or at least let's see if he can provide that spark. Does he have the hunger to impact a game through the midfield/wing region on a more regular basis. Can he do it?
He just isn't strong enough in traffic or over the ball, he gets put out of the contest before it starts.

Wouldn't mind seeing the bullocking Tuohy get some time in the midfield and wing also added to Yarran.
This guy did very well when given that opportunity, but he has a lot to learn. I think Tuohy along with Cripps, Bell and Armfield will be a regulars in the future. Curnow is looking better by the game, he is almost too good now to be wasted as a tagger as he can link up and work outside. Armfield has that explosive pace that Judd has and could be anything. Tuohy is granite on legs and he loves the crash and bash. Cripps is the brains that can work in tandem with Murphy.

Cripps, Graham and Holman are others to consider. Cripps is a different bullocking type due to his size but also his clean hands which the blokes mentioned above do not have as good as the young Crippa.
Like Tuohy he has a lot to learn, but Cripps might have better vision that most of our midfield. The sooner he gets in their the better he will become. Not unlike Rich at the Lions he will be highly variable to start off and get progressive better. We should be wasting time giving him a run.

Re Yarran. This I know to a degree. I think it will make him a better footballer to play through the middle. That's what I'm after.

Re Tuohy. See above that it will make him a better footballer.

Re Cripps - much better in close than Rich would ever hope to be. Crippa has some of the best hands and vision I have seen in a kid. He'll adapt making him very much in the frame for an early gig IMO.

Reply #63
Need to be careful with Cripps and not expect too much, watched him pick up Dangerfield I think it was in the NAB cup game in the last quarter and he doesnt have the nous yet to be lining up on Cotchin,Martin or Deledio in the middle.
I would start him as the sub if he played and let him have a look and get the pace of the game...he will be a great player but will get carved up if we start him on good players..

re: Yarran in the middle.....as the receiver why not?....if the other mids can get him the footy he might be give you 10 minutes of brilliance that change the game....you wouldnt do it all the time but everynow and then its worth a shot IMO..

Would also educate and round his game off a bit and make him a better player....

Boom. I knew you'd get it elwood.

The idea is to make Yarran, and Tuohy even, better players/AFL footballers. Round them off more and make them more complete players. Get proactive with their development!

Reply #64
I'd be inclined to play Cripps sparingly as much as we can. Just look at what Port has done with Wingard and Wines, they got games into them.
Cripps has footy smarts and will pick up the speed of the game quickly and has the build to widthstand the rigours of AFL. We just don't want him to play long periods and be battered by the end of the season, only a young body. Need him to taste the action, we will be better for it.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #65
Surely Garlett gets the vest if he keeps his spot. Give Menzel a decent run an it.

Would've loved Betts up front instead of Thomas. Looks like we'll be waiting a little to see the best of Daisy.
So I didn't see very much of the game at all but a mate who went on Sunday made the following comments:
1. Menzel appeared to be labouring around and look injured from the minute he came on. Many people around him also commented on this.
2. Our ruckmen were both jumping very early and were avoiding contact, were both deplorable.
Is it possible both rucks will be dropped? Is it possible Menzel won't play?
Just on Waite, I've said this many times, why not play him back?

1. My take on Menzel was not that he was labouring, just thats how he is. He is a little laconic and has a touch of Hoops about him. Seems to cruise around and do what he needs to do without ever looking too distressed. It gives the appearance of not going as hard as he can, but thats just him IMO.
2. I certainly would prefer both ruckmen to be dropped as they both offered us jack crape around the ground. I'd prefer to see Wood and Casboult come in.....and i'm well aware of how lacking Casboult is both in fitness and rucking ability.

Menzel will/should play...the whole game.
Waite can be used back, but to maximize our chances up forward, we need him there.

I don't think anyone can doubt the way he can take a game apart when given a chance.
The chances of his replacement doing the same, ie casboult, are unlikely.

Reply #66
I was just thinking to myself in that third quarter what a star Waite is but unlike his predecessor Fev, he was unable to go on with it and kick a bag of 7.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #67
Pride on the line for both sides, the winner will be the team with the most pride.

That team better be Carlton, I'll be even more filthy than I am now with the CFC if it's not.  >:(
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #68
Pride on the line for both sides, the winner will be the team with the most pride.

That team better be Carlton, I'll be even more filthy than I am now with the CFC if it's not.  >:(

You won't be the only one feeling this. I definitely will be one, and at least 20 others on this site will probably be the same. Hardwick will have his side hit us hard and fast in the first quarter, to leave us playing catch up footy all night. They will still feel the sting from our last encounter. That leaves us open to a potential belting by the Bummers the following week to be 0-3. It just can't happen.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #69
I was just thinking to myself in that third quarter what a star Waite is but unlike his predecessor Fev, he was unable to go on with it and kick a bag of 7.

WHAT! Something positive from the Carrots? :o
But then backs it up with a negative ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #70
Surely Garlett gets the vest if he keeps his spot. Give Menzel a decent run an it.

Would've loved Betts up front instead of Thomas. Looks like we'll be waiting a little to see the best of Daisy.
So I didn't see very much of the game at all but a mate who went on Sunday made the following comments:
1. Menzel appeared to be labouring around and look injured from the minute he came on. Many people around him also commented on this.
2. Our ruckmen were both jumping very early and were avoiding contact, were both deplorable.
Is it possible both rucks will be dropped? Is it possible Menzel won't play?
Just on Waite, I've said this many times, why not play him back?

1. My take on Menzel was not that he was labouring, just thats how he is. He is a little laconic and has a touch of Hoops about him. Seems to cruise around and do what he needs to do without ever looking too distressed. It gives the appearance of not going as hard as he can, but thats just him IMO.
2. I certainly would prefer both ruckmen to be dropped as they both offered us jack crape around the ground. I'd prefer to see Wood and Casboult come in.....and i'm well aware of how lacking Casboult is both in fitness and rucking ability.

Menzel will/should play...the whole game.
Waite can be used back, but to maximize our chances up forward, we need him there.

I don't think anyone can doubt the way he can take a game apart when given a chance.
The chances of his replacement doing the same, ie casboult, are unlikely.

We Agree.....dropping Warnock/Kruezer...that is the first time I have seen you so radical in approach.
Welcome to the dark side Krud... ;)

Reply #71
We Agree.....dropping Warnock/Kruezer...that is the first time I have seen you so radical in approach.
Welcome to the dark side Krud... ;)

This isn't the week to do it, Kreuzer must play against Hampson, Kreuzer has always had his measure in practice games.

Hampson has a bad habit of stopping and watching the contest rather than cracking in for a 2nd effort. Kreuzer hits the ground running after the contest and leaves Hampson trailing behind.

Warnock is no value after the tap and as hard as it might be for some to believe Hampson will out mark him just about all over the ground. Hampson is OK on the tap work, so Warnock has no significant advantage in that area it may well be a draw.

I suppose there are two ways the club can go, MM might make it a challenge for Warnock to prove his decision to keep him was right, or to avoid the debate altogether I would not be surprised to find the club making an excuse to leave Warnock out this week.

If you wanted to prove that the clubs decision to trade Hampson was correct they should play Kreuzer and Rowe against him with Everitt or Watson forcing aerial contests at either end of the ground.

Hampson, Vickery and Giffiths in combo would tear Casboult a new one in the ruck.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
Carlton by 35.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #73
I would be very tempted to give Cripps a run in this game, probably at the expense of Bell, or possibly Robbo. Buckley to come in for 1AW.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #74

Unfortunately Carrots that has been the story of his career hasn't. So close yet so far.

I also don't think we will be seeing many changes outside of injury/suspension ones. Mick likes to deflect pressure from the group and dropping blokes might not help in his view, especially this early.

McInnes is going to be a worry if he plays, under the big lights, packed house, I can see him having a Marcus Davies moment or two. I would like to see White in if he is fit, stronger mentally and physically. I hope he has a good run at it this year I've always liked the way he goes about it.

Buckley in for Walker, something tells me he might be alright in a game like this. He will be bursting from excitement and we need a bit of life in the team.

Jamo, Watson, White, Tuohy, Buckley and Simpson I would go with. Still have the option of swinging Hendo or Spider J back if needed.